• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbcn1

Jan 18, 2012
    I was at the local big box store purchasing ammunition today. The clerk asked for my ID then started to enter my driver's license in the computer. I asked what he was doing, he replied it was required by the ATF and the state. I told he was not required to enter my information and if I wanted to give my information, it was strictly voluntary.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You should have asked him to put twice as much ammo on the counter and then walked away when they refused to proceed with the sale without asking for your personal information.

There is no state or federal law that authorizes them to collect that data and every gun owner who submits to that extra-legal ammo log is enabling the state to operate outside of their legal authorization.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Never had this issue, at Elkton or North East. I can tell you the 100% do NOT do this at North East for shotgun shells, not once, and I've bought somewhere in the range of 3K rounds this year.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    i been buying in Salisbury, Fruitland, and Cambridge and not asked to enter info.

You're welcome for Cambridge. I caused a bit of a scene there several years ago and the manager reconsidered their policy.

bbcn1

Jan 18, 2012
    normally I do not have any problem. I guess this cleck doesn't know what he was doing.

G

George

I have not had that happen to me of course the guy at my local walmart is used to me comming grabbing mine. I would not offer that information and went to a different walmart or store.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    One guy at Elkton Claims that it is an ATF requirement I wish the guys at Walmart got commision cause that guy would go broke. I won't buy from him . He also claimed that it was to keep guys from New Jersey from buying Ammo

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    One guy at Elkton Claims that it is an ATF requirement I wish the guys at Walmart got commision cause that guy would go broke. I won't buy from him . He also claimed that it was to keep guys from New Jersey from buying Ammo

I buy most of my ammo from the Elkton Walmart. Several different associates have helped me out. Never been asked for my info. Only ID checked for age.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Was at wallyworld today in Lansdowne, bought my share, with clerk that was VERY prompt, and helpful. Paid with credit card, no ID, no drivers lic, all she said was "your over 21 right?"

She was probably a little to laid back, but Im not gonna complain. I'll just contine to take my business there till an issue arises.

Now I was at a big box store in Glen Burnie couple weeks ago, and wanted to document ID for a cash ammo purchase. She didnt want the hassles and keyed something in to register and proceded without it, but I had to answer if I was a CITIZEN of the US.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I bought a bunch of 9mm at the Eldersburg Walmart last week ... the only thing they asked about was whether I was over 21. Clerk looked up at me and said "Of course" hit the button and proceeded.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks for the assist!

I am surprised to here that its up the store level mgr's for those types of policies.

It's funny that when you phrase it as a liability.....as in "how well do you know your employees when they have access to my address and the knowledge that I have firearms"....that they "get it".

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    I just bought a ton of ammo at the Cambridge Wal Mart last night. I bought a ton of .22 ammo and all the lady asked was if it was for a handgun. I said no mam and proceeded with my purchase. I also bought some Winchester 12ga personal defense ammo which is a slug and three 00 buck pellets. It looked awesome so I had to buy it. Out of all the years I have bought ammo form there, I have never been asked for my personal info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom