• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    A suggestion for all of our WallyWorld shoppers ...

Can we start a contribution thread here for WW ammo sales by manufacturer, caliber, price/per (box or case), and location for handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo ?

With the price of gas these days and the cost of shipping, it's difficult to make the choice between an internet or local purchase. Also, if our industry partners would like to offer a 'meet or beat' for WallyWorld prices, that would encourage more local sales.

Think of this as the MarylandGasPrices.com for ammo shopping. :D

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you can order in bulk, the Internets beat Wal-Mart every time, assuming you're not picky about steel-cased ammo. Ammoengine.com, gun-deals.com, and slickguns.com all can get you some pretty astounding deals.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Just checking again, the disadvantages to using steel are:

1. Can't reload
    2. Possible earlier extractor wear (cheap part, anyway).
    3. Range owners may disapprove
    4. Some guns may not function well with it

Did I miss anything? Any other reasons?

The steel ammo prices are so darned cheap, but so are some of the prices from RWS brand and Seiller Belloit using those online sites. I think those two are brass cased.

Thanks

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA

1. Can't reload

The steel ammo prices are so darned cheap, but so are some of the prices from RWS brand and Seiller Belloit using those online sites. I think those two are brass cased.

Thanks

The Russian steel cased also seem to be dirtier than American made brass cased rounds. I've never noticed the AK getting ridiculously dirty from steel cased (it's an AK anyway it doesn't matter if it's dirty). I did shoot some wolf steel case .45ACP through my 1911. Talk about dirty. It fed fine but it was noticably dirtier. You could tell while shooting that it was dirtier from the smoke. I will still shoot steel cased in a rifle but I think I will avoid it for my .45 and 9mm handguns.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

1. Can't reload

Thanks

RWS may be brass cased, but the bullets are copper washed steel. Just FYI, I found this out when I went to the range a few weeks ago. Magnet test was positive.

Jim

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    RWS may be brass cased, but the bullets are copper washed steel. Just FYI, I found this out when I went to the range a few weeks ago. Magnet test was positive.

Jim

A test here. Seems to be an alloy? Better for the environment?

I also like the GECO 124 round deal. Anyone tried them?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A test here. Seems to be an alloy? Better for the environment?

I also like the GECO 124 round deal. Anyone tried them?

I've tried the Federal 124s out of my CZ. They work well. The RWS bullets seem to be steel jacketed with a copper wash, but with a lead core. You can see the divots on that plate when he used the RWS ammo. Copper jacketed lead pistol bullets don't do that. That's why my RO doesn't allow them for steel shooting.

I have not tried the GECO, but the steel cased/jacketed Russki stuff works well in my CZ.

Jim

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I tried and tried and could not find one online bulk seller that sold federal .40 180 grain that wally world sells cheaper then what i pay at wally world. So I just buy from them.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Cupro nickel is common as bullet jacket material. No problem there.

FWIW, I reload and do the math to see what it costs to reload using components from typical sources. I include shipping and taxes since that is what it takes to get the bullets out the barrel. One day I'll compute the power for the tumbler and lights (talk about getting down to last nickel).

Typical 45 ACP 230 FMJ ball at WalMart is $35.15 tax included. That would be $351.50 per 1000 rounds. Sell the brass for $60/1000 and my cost is $291.50/1000 rounds.

If I buy 3 lots of 500 big brand 230 FMJ's @$107/lot (to offset shipping 'loss') with $11 flat rate shipping that is $221 to me. Add $35 for 1000 primers and $18 in powder and the cost to me is $274. For a savings of $17.50... about the cost of one box of 50 factory ball rounds.

I know shooting lead reduces cost and so does source and large bulk buys. But there is a common man's comparison.

Last edited:

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    The Tula 9mm steel cased stuff runs about 8.50 for 50 at Wal Mart and my Walther P1 loves it. Tighter groups than UMC bulk and the maroon box Federal, believe it or not.

I crunched the numbers on reloading for .45 ACP and I am paying about 18.1 cents per round to reload, considerably cheaper than the calculations above. Wolf primers, Bullseye powder, range pickup brass, Rainier or Berrys plated bullets, whichever is on sale. Thats about 55% of retail for even the cheapest available .45, and when I started reloading, I couldn't find the stuff anywhere.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I just picked up 5 boxes of 9mm HST 147gr. for around $25+ a box from SDAmmo. Cost $19 to ship UPS. They had a lot of .40 HST left, and tons of Ranger-T in .45

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Berry's and Rainier bullets are $75 per 500. They are plated. The calculations were for JACKETED bullets. Apples and apples were being compared. One can't make direct comparisons without directly equivilant components.

And there was the note on source and component changes. Heck, if I stated the use of lead bullets bullets and purchase of powder in 8 pound kegs I could knock down the price to 25% (and much less for home cast). But most don't have $160 for powder, $350 in primers, $40 hazmat fees, $900 in bullets assuming they have the brass to load those quantities (which is 10,770 rounds using the powder as the rule) or just loading as they go.

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    I pay about 64 bucks per 500 for 200 gr. .451 plated bullets actually. Bullets are far and away the costliest component. To avoid excess lead exposure during indoor sessions, I shoot plated. I shoot a lot, and I am sure the lead vapor adds up.

I have seen absolutely no difference in accuracy at indoor range distances (7 to 25 yards) between plated and jacketed. There is no advantage in paper punching for FMJ bullets and the exposed lead base and higher cost makes it a no brainer.

I suppose lead, jacketed, and plated bullets all have their fans.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'm not saying there is any great practical difference in the different projectile compositions. I am not saying there are not different sources and prices. I was stating a direct comparison for readily available components - ordering from say, Midway-USA (for all but primers and powder to reduce hazmat fees) and going to WalMart for factory ammo. That includes bullet weight and composition. That's all I was doing.

I accept your choice of primers, only place I've seen them lower is a gun show. Your call. However, you crunched numbers for a 13% lighter bullet with less costly plating, which as you indicate is the most costly component, greatly skewing the numbers. Then you slammed my calculations without using the same types of components. That is not a valid comparison.

You want to shoot lighter bullets, no problem. I do, for cost and because I use them in competition related shooting. But that wasn't the comparison.

As far as the lead vapor goes, that is a different issue and wasn't the discussion. I understand the concern...woohoo. But at least one indoor range has gone from no exposed lead on the bullet base and sides to FMJ allowance. So not too big a deal there. Filter maintenance was a great consideration in the no exposed lead base bullets...not just health.

And yes, I've been down the lead in my blood road so I'm not born last night on that issue. It was not determined to be shooting related. And I shot a great deal of lead indoors.

I'm not saying every one should use FMJ all the time, but when was the last time you went to WalMart, or most gunshops for that matter, and found loaded, plated factory 200 grain cartridges for the 45 ACP? Reloaded ammo is the only way I've seen it in quantity for not a lot of money.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, since this thread is fully derailed, one more off topic post won't hurt :).

I'm with TripleChris on this one.

For instance: Precision Delta sells 230 grain FMJ's for $119.00 per 1000 shipped to Maryland. That's almost half the price quoted above. Like TripleChris said, the bullet is the most expensive part. I can reload 1000 230 grain FMJ .45ACP for around $170.00 shipping / hazmat included.

-Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom