• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Most people do it the way school teachers do it. Take more classes. You don't start student teaching your first year, you do it near the end of your schooling.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I was hoping it was a paid position. Pardon the pun.
    If I may suggest volunteering at first to get some experience. Instructors, me included, are not always willing to pay someone who is not actively helping and let’s face it, you’ll be doing more learning than helping and that should be your goal.

I also think instructors are not willing to help make other instructors because that makes more competition in their area. So step softly young grasshopper.

TD

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If I may suggest volunteering at first to get some experience. Instructors, me included, are not always willing to pay someone who is not actively helping and let’s face it, you’ll be doing more learning than helping and that should be your goal.

I also think instructors are not willing to help make other instructors because that makes more competition in their area. So step softly young grasshopper.

TD
    I think you’re confusing the big spoon with the little spoon.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Got my QHIC last year to get myself out of renewal training and to (maybe) eventually dip my toes in the training waters as someone's henchman/helper.

Friend of a friend claimed he'd bring me on with him and his guys once they got their range built. A year later I'm figuring that was smoke...

I know the law decently. Beyond that I'm green as hell. My plan, misguided or otherwise, was to help someone out for a few bucks and pick up what I can as I go. That may be a non-starter for a majority of folks, I don't know, but I'm posting here to poll the crowd.
    Any chance you'd share your experience/pathway to QHIC? I've been looking into it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It’s too easy to be an instructor. Just cause you got a paper that says you can teach don’t mean you can teach.

TD
    I get your point, and I have a lot of respect for you, but I don't think bertfish is trying to cut into anyone's business.

I see him offering to be the helper. Seems like he's admitting exactly where he is and what he's trying to do.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Thanks bro. I guess that's what I'll do.
    See review and key players here

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    See review and key players here

Oh, perfect

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I get your point, and I have a lot of respect for you, but I don't think bertfish is trying to cut into anyone's business.

I see him offering to be the helper. Seems like he's admitting exactly where he is and what he's trying to do.
    No disrespect to anyone. I hope he finds someone to mentor him. I also hope he gets to see a variety of instruction so he gets a good experience.

To often we teach in isolation, we should be more open to seeing each others courses and exchanging ideas.

I still think it’s to easy to be an instructor. The NRA “track” can be manipulated and suddenly someone with no teaching experience is running a class. We should be held to a higher standard as instructors.

TD

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I'm just trying to remain realistic here. I'm no expert. I'm not retired military or LE although neither of those instantly qualify for anything.

Actually, they can build on your qualifications and experience. If all you have is the instructor qualification for the NRA pistol course and no prior experience, you should work on building your resume. It's like getting a Masters's Degree and asking a University to hire you; not an easy task until you have done something within your field of study.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Some of these responses crack me up. Everyone has had a first time at every thing they are good at. Bertfish is only trying to gain the experience, other than the training he received from NRA. I received the same training and can vouch for the instructors and their lesson plans to make instructors out of all of us in that class.

I am fortunate enough to have a range in my backyard, and I shoot a lot. I put more rounds down range per week, than many do in a year. I learn from friends who are competitive shooters, LEO, and military in my backyard. Hell, I even learn by watching new shooters, who are students of mine of what to do and what not to do.

We all can learn from each other, shooting and teaching. No matter how high you rate yourself, there is always someone better, possibly even Bertfish.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    No disrespect to anyone. I hope he finds someone to mentor him. I also hope he gets to see a variety of instruction so he gets a good experience.

To often we teach in isolation, we should be more open to seeing each others courses and exchanging ideas.

I still think it’s to easy to be an instructor. The NRA “track” can be manipulated and suddenly someone with no teaching experience is running a class. We should be held to a higher standard as instructors.

TD
    I'm sorry if I worded poorly; I don't think you are disrespecting anyone. I am merely stating that I have respect for you and your teaching based on members I trust here that have been your students.

I absolutely agree with your observation that we all tend to exist and teach in isolation. When I am kicking something around, and finally get to where I think it's ready to go, the first people to see it live always include at least a couple of other instructors. Even if the material isn't in their "wheelhouse" they will not hesitate to bust my balls on the accessibility and transmission of the information being presented. I value that. A lot. You are correct that it doesn't happen enough, for sure.

I am pro ConCarry, so I actually oppose the state mandated course, especially the 16 hour requirement that is absolutely intended to be a cost and time barrier to a huge section of the population. That said, I agree that the. BOPS standard is not incredibly high. That class has zero holster work and practically nothing of value from a defensive perspective. The NRA CCW course is a definite step up.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Got my QHIC last year to get myself out of renewal training and to (maybe) eventually dip my toes in the training waters as someone's henchman/helper.

Friend of a friend claimed he'd bring me on with him and his guys once they got their range built. A year later I'm figuring that was smoke...

I know the law decently. Beyond that I'm green as hell. My plan, misguided or otherwise, was to help someone out for a few bucks and pick up what I can as I go. That may be a non-starter for a majority of folks, I don't know, but I'm posting here to poll the crowd.
    Where are you located Bert ?

TD

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Some of these responses crack me up. Everyone has had a first time at every thing they are good at. Bertfish is only trying to gain the experience, other than the training he received from NRA. I received the same training and can vouch for the instructors and their lesson plans to make instructors out of all of us in that class.

I am fortunate enough to have a range in my backyard, and I shoot a lot. I put more rounds down range per week, than many do in a year. I learn from friends who are competitive shooters, LEO, and military in my backyard. Hell, I even learn by watching new shooters, who are students of mine of what to do and what not to do.

We all can learn from each other, shooting and teaching. No matter how high you rate yourself, there is always someone better, possibly even Bertfish.
    This, x100.

Lots of A*Hole boomers up in this thread.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Another opportunity to hit all three NRA classes in a row at a decent price so you can get your QHIC

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    @Bertfish hit up @ShafTed

We teach at a small club in littlestown pa. I dont think he would have an issue with you sitting in a class or two, but I dont think we start them back until march.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom