• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Putting aside whether it should be mandated or not, I am glad I took the class. Parts were entertaining thanks to the delivery by the instructor (Jason). There were points brought up that some may not think about. And quite frankly I’ll never turn down an opportunity to punch holes in paper.

The facilities at Guntry are to drool over. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to go back to Hap Baker again. I can’t afford it but I sooo want a membership.

Livescan was included. Total was $300. Only need to buy ammo from them if you use one of their guns and no rental fee if you do.

I highly recommend them for your W&C class.

I didn’t see a thread for general class experiences but if there is one I can post ther and ask this one be removed.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Cool, I have the classes scheduled for Oct. 6 & 7. Did they do any extra range time or just the qualification?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Cool, I have the classes scheduled for Oct. 6 & 7. Did they do any extra range time or just the qualification?
    They had us run through a target that was about the size of center-chest-mass of a human at 3 yards (a lot was at 3 yards). Then there was a target called the The Dot Torture that had was something like 15 circles on 8.5x11 inch paper with different drills. For example circles 3 and 4 were 1 shot in 3, one shot in 4, repeat several times. We ran out of time to finish it (large class having to rotate in the range). I would say it was ample. And the qualification target is HUGE. I'm no expert and scored 100%. It was more fun than a test.

EDIT: I forgot to add we also practiced drawing from the holster (no ammo) to get the mechanics of getting the gun on target. Folks with no holsters pretended using pockets or belts and the non-functional training guns.

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I will add this one thing that I didn't really care for - there was a rep from USCCA who made a sales pitch. It wasn't so much high pressure, but I think something more along the lines of "if you are going to carry, you should look into organizations like USCCA, US Law Shield, etc," but Guntry is affiliated with USCCA. I declined joining in favor of exploring all options. It did take up almost 1 of the 16 hours, so maybe that is part of the plan. The sales guy did have some good info regardless.

Last edited:
    Aug 5, 2022
    Upperco
    I definitely enjoyed my course at Guntry, and Jason is definitely a great instructor. We didn't have a USCCA rep like the poster above, but the class was great. As always there was always a person there who just wanted to question everything the instructor was saying and come up with little arguments and counterpoints, but aside from that i definitely enjoyed the experience. It was good that we did quite a lot of practice before the actual shooting test. Was quite nervous thinking i was going to fail the whole time, but ended up with a 100% as well. We picked the wrong targets on our way to the range portion, which were smaller? But anyway, would recommend!

Attachments

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      129.1 KB · Views: 77

Andy-jr.

Sep 2, 2022
    Carroll County
    I will add this one thing that I didn't really care for - there was a rep from USCCA who made a sales pitch. It wasn't so much high pressure, but I think something more along the lines of "if you are going to carry, you should look into organizations like USCCA, US Law Shield, etc," but Guntry is affiliate with USCCA. I declined joining in favor of exploring all options. It did take up almost 1 of the 16 hours, so maybe that is part of the plan. They sales guy did have some good info regardless.

I also had the guy from USCCA come into our class at Guntry. I think they make their way around to all the places that are doing classes. My brother in-law took his class at Geared Up and had the same USCCA guy give his speech there.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I also had the guy from USCCA come into our class at Guntry. I think they make their way around to all the places that are doing classes. My brother in-law took his class at Geared Up and had the same USCCA guy give his speech there.
    I think the guys who offer classes get an incentive from USCCA.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Finished my training today at Guntry today, instructor was Jason.
    All in all it was pretty decent. Class was a fairly diverse crowd of 24, 8 of which were women, leaning to the older folks. I would say at least half of the class were fairly new shooters, some who haven't actually bought their firearm yet. One older lady it was the first time she had ever pulled a trigger.

For me it was teaching an old dog new tricks. I did my best to do everything the instructors way. But during the range time I was having a bit of trouble warring with myself between the way I always shoot and the way I was now being taught. So my range performance suffered a bit, I think I would have done better if i was a new shooter, rather than retraining and trying to unlearn old habits. My old butt was worn out by the end of the class. But I passed, as did the rest of the class.

As others have already said it is a very nice facility. I would even think about a membership, except they don't open for shooting until 1300, and I am a morning person. I may take advantage of the free hour of shooting for training there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom