• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Hey, I bought one of the vz58's from Lou and was wondering where I can get some mags. I tried the Harrisburg show but couldn't find any. Most vendors responded with "huh?" I was told by one dealer he had a bunch at a previous show but none now. Sounds like I may have a problem. Any suggestions where I could get a few or more?
    Also, I usually research something before I buy but this was an impulse buy. I had heard good stuff about the vz58's and not anything bad except that mags may be somewhat difficult to find. This one looks pretty good with a nice dark finish. It's a mix of phosphate and paint. The folding stock assembly and the handguard liner are painted with the balance of the rifle phosphated. The paint easily rubs off so I may strip it and refinish with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde2. Overall it looks to be well built. I'm not a big fan of folding stocks but this one locks up solid. I found a complete fixed stock for $65 but I'm going to hold off until I find some mags. My guess is that without mags it's going to be a pretty clumsy single shot rifle.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hey, I bought one of the vz58's from Lou and was wondering where I can get some mags. I tried the Harrisburg show but couldn't find any. Most vendors responded with "huh?" I was told by one dealer he had a bunch at a previous show but none now. Sounds like I may have a problem. Any suggestions where I could get a few or more?
    Also, I usually research something before I buy but this was an impulse buy. I had heard good stuff about the vz58's and not anything bad except that mags may be somewhat difficult to find. This one looks pretty good with a nice dark finish. It's a mix of phosphate and paint. The folding stock assembly and the handguard liner are painted with the balance of the rifle phosphated. The paint easily rubs off so I may strip it and refinish with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde2. Overall it looks to be well built. I'm not a big fan of folding stocks but this one locks up solid. I found a complete fixed stock for $65 but I'm going to hold off until I find some mags. My guess is that without mags it's going to be a pretty clumsy single shot rifle.

Get a mailboxes etc account in PA/VA and order this...

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/63/products_id/1462

You'll have EVERYTHING you ever need to keep that puppy running. I ordered one this summer and everything was in new condition except the barrel.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I don't want to anything that's un-lawful. I'll see if I can get some "low capacity" mags. If that fails I'll see if someone want's to take the rifle at my cost. I'll give the mag hunt a good try before I give up. Wish me luc.....,ha,ha,ha!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Rebuild kits are definitely a gray area. But there's no law against having replacement parts. You just can't take ownership of, or manufacture, anything above 20 rounds while in the state. So if you had enough parts to make a magazine you'd still have to leave the state to assemble it. At that point it would be no different than "importing" one bought complete at a gun show.

Here's a link to the low-caps being offered by Czechpoint. Looks like they are out of stock at the moment. While MD's mag law is silly, I do use low-cap mags regularly for benchrest so it's good to have one or two around:
    http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/produ...d-double-stack-magazine-complete-refinished-/

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I don't want to anything that's un-lawful. I'll see if I can get some "low capacity" mags. If that fails I'll see if someone want's to take the rifle at my cost. I'll give the mag hunt a good try before I give up. Wish me luc.....,ha,ha,ha!

I'll give you $370 for it, because I can have one delivered and transferred for that.

I love these guns... they are awesome.

Mark

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Well it was $399 plus tax so $370 isn't so good of a deal for me. I'm sure I can get some mags to get it operational. But thanks for offering.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Well it was $399 plus tax so $370 isn't so good of a deal for me. I'm sure I can get some mags to get it operational. But thanks for offering.

Ill second buying the armorers kit. Their cool pieces of history, as well as a treasure trove of every small part you need.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Lol, the guy just bought it and you guys are already trying to buy it off him.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I've really been wanting to buy a VZ 58. If it accepted standard AK mags, I'd get one in a heartbeat. But I don't want to have to store yet ANOTHER type of magazine (Already dealing with AR, AK, FAL, and Saiga 12). I just don't have the room. lol (note to self, design hidden closet armory)

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Rebuild kits are definitely a gray area. But there's no law against having replacement parts. You just can't take ownership of, or manufacture, anything above 20 rounds while in the state. So if you had enough parts to make a magazine you'd still have to leave the state to assemble it. At that point it would be no different than "importing" one bought complete at a gun show.

not to derail... but let me get this straight. I can go to copes, order a 30 round pmag, have them disassemble it as a "parts kit" and they can legally ship it to me in maryland? And i'm legal to have the parts in maryland so long as i dont assemble the parts in maryland?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    not to derail... but let me get this straight. I can go to copes, order a 30 round pmag, have them disassemble it as a "parts kit" and they can legally ship it to me in maryland? And i'm legal to have the parts in maryland so long as i dont assemble the parts in maryland?

It's a GRAY area. They will ship the magazine parts and technically it appears legal to do so.

Here is the law:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

§ 4-306. Penalties.

(a) In general.- A person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

So you could purchase the parts, as there is no prohibition against that. A clever lawyer might still try to charge you with the intent to manufacture or receiving a magazine even though it's just parts. It has never happened that I know of, but it is theoretically possible.

You have to determine if it is worth it to do this or to just get a mailing address out of state. I went with a UPS store in VA while I was TDY this past summer in Virginia... and I ordered a shitload of magazines. This made the $20 I spent for the mailing address work out to about $0.50 a magazine and no chance of having my door kicked in for violating the law. Sleep easier and just get an out of state address and have them shipped there.

Mark

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    It's a GRAY area. They will ship the magazine parts and technically it appears legal to do so.

Here is the law:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

§ 4-306. Penalties.

(a) In general.- A person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

So you could purchase the parts, as there is no prohibition against that. A clever lawyer might still try to charge you with the intent to manufacture or receiving a magazine even though it's just parts. It has never happened that I know of, but it is theoretically possible.

You have to determine if it is worth it to do this or to just get a mailing address out of state. I went with a UPS store in VA while I was TDY this past summer in Virginia... and I ordered a shitload of magazines. This made the $20 I spent for the mailing address work out to about $0.50 a magazine and no chance of having my door kicked in for violating the law. Sleep easier and just get an out of state address and have them shipped there.

Mark

gotcha. Thanks for the info

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Again, rebuilds are a gray area. It's the current workaround in Commiefornia and CA-friendly vendors will ship them to other ban states. Unlike Maryland, in Cali you can't even own functioning hi-caps... but guys who want military-style mags will weld or rivet them to a permanent 10-round capacity to be compliant.

The MD AG has made no ruling on this specific workaround, and I'm sure if they didn't it probably wouldn't go in our favor. But it doesn't seem any different than driving to a gun show in PA/VA and bringing a bunch of mags back over the border, which everyone agrees is 100% legal.

The safest way is still an out-of-state friend who will take receipt of them.

EDIT: beat me to it Mark :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom