• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Long story short, I go through a great local FFL, and went to go pick my 2 VZ.58 receivers. He thinks they might be regulated because a VZ.58 looks sorta like an AK-47. I tried to explain it to him but he's gonna call MDSP to check... now how many want to bet that MDSP will get it wrong?

I know what the law says, and it does not say anything about the VZ58, the only compatible part between the AK and the VZ are the f'ing bullets.

Mark

PS - I sent him the easy reader version. http://50ae.net/VZ-vs-AK/

Last edited:

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    that bites but you see them doing that more and more. before you know it the new standard will be looking kinda like something on the list,then itll be the same manufacturer and then they will start selling everything that way just to stay on the safe side.......

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The VZ58 is not on the list or even as a copy of something on the list, I am pretty sure of that. HOwever, just the reciever alone might make it one of those "other" deals which can be made into a pistol or a rifle and I guess would be like an AR lower. But if it was the rifle fully built, then I do not see why it would be regulated.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The VZ58 is not on the list or even as a copy of something on the list, I am pretty sure of that. HOwever, just the reciever alone might make it one of those "other" deals which can be made into a pistol or a rifle and I guess would be like an AR lower. But if it was the rifle fully built, then I do not see why it would be regulated.

Well hell, I could make an barreled receiver mosin into a pistol if I wanted. LOL. That's craziness. :) I do suspect you have a point, and I don't think that the MDSP guys very sharp. Unfortunately, that would make EVERY rifle receiver a regulated firearm, and the law doesn't state that...

It states:

(p) Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

A receiver is NEITHER a handgun, a specifically listed assault weapon, or one of their copies. It is a firearm and this is MDSP abusing the law. Finally without a pistol grip, the receiver cannot be a handgun.

As a result, they should not be able to arbitrarily decide that the AR lower is a regulated firearm because it is capable of being built into both a regulated and non-regulated firearm (HBAR). In the case of an AK receiver, yes, I would agree that an AK receiver is a regulated firearm since it can only be built into a regulated firearm. The VZ.58 cannot be built into any one of the specifically listed "assault weapons" and although in theory it could be built into a handgun this is not the intended purpose as the receiver has an integral provision for a stock. It should be clear that this is NOT a regulated firearm.

Mark

PS - According to Marylandistan Code:

(n) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
    (2) "Handgun" includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

If it has no barrel, it is not a handgun.

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Well hell, I could make an barreled receiver mosin into a pistol if I wanted. LOL. That's craziness. :) I do suspect you have a point, and I don't think that the MDSP guys very sharp. Unfortunately, that would make EVERY rifle receiver a regulated firearm, and the law doesn't state that...

It states:

(p) Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

A receiver is NEITHER a handgun, a specifically listed assault weapon, or one of their copies. It is a firearm and this is MDSP abusing the law. Finally without a pistol grip, the receiver cannot be a handgun.

As a result, they should not be able to arbitrarily decide that the AR lower is a regulated firearm because it is capable of being built into both a regulated and non-regulated firearm (HBAR). In the case of an AK receiver, yes, I would agree that an AK receiver is a regulated firearm since it can only be built into a regulated firearm. The VZ.58 cannot be built into any one of the specifically listed "assault weapons" and although in theory it could be built into a handgun this is not the intended purpose as the receiver has an integral provision for a stock. It should be clear that this is NOT a regulated firearm.

Mark

PS - According to Marylandistan Code:

(n) Handgun.-
    (1) "Handgun" means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
    (2) "Handgun" includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

If it has no barrel, it is not a handgun.

Yup, I agree with you.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well I got my FFL to agree that it's not regulated... He's a proper rifle kind of guy, I don't think he much appreciates the assault weapons. :) Still he's a great guy, lots of knowledge.

Mark

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Resurrected after a year plus! So who has personal knowledge on this topic?

The VZ58 (semiauto) and VZ2008 are NOT regulated as they are NOT listed on the "list" nor any type of firearm that is a "copy" thereof. Shooter's Discount has had these in stock and sold them per 4473 and instant check.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks Lou45 I see you have actually stated that you have had a personal experience.

@Markp "I do" based on what? Are you the Superintendent of the MSP? I am not trying to be funny but can you give me an experience on this matter and not merely say you know. I have read what you said about the law, but I am actually trying to find out what is being practiced by the FFL's. The letter of the law and the actual practice is two different things. thanks!

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks Lou45 I see you have actually stated that you have had a personal experience.

@Markp "I do" based on what? Are you the Superintendent of the MSP? I am not trying to be funny but can you give me an experience on this matter and not merely say you know. I have read what you said about the law, but I am actually trying to find out what is being practiced by the FFL's. The letter of the law and the actual practice is two different things. thanks!

Did you even read the OP ?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Did you even read the OP ?

actually I read all of the posts in this thread, why? TTL I don't know where you are heading with your "even read the OP" but I am looking for members that had cash and carry experiences since Sept. 2009. That will help me determine where to go to get my VZ. Thanks for your concern (sarcasm intended).

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    actually I read all of the posts in this thread, why? TTL I don't know where you are heading with your "even read the OP" but I am looking for members that had cash and carry experiences since Sept. 2009. That will help me determine where to go to get my VZ. Thanks for your concern (sarcasm intended).

Yes, I purchased my VZ-58's (more than one) not regulated. Thanks for playing.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    no thankyou! From where, I would love to solicit that dealer! Please share!

I am not sure of his current status due to some issues (medical) in his family. Until I hear otherwise I will respect that and not send anyone his way, he is a well known gunsmith in the area.

Mark

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    The VZ-58 is clearly not regulated. There are specific rifles that are listed as regulated in MD. This list is public and includes the variants thereof. The VZ is not a variant of the AK and it is only has a resemblance to the AK. The MSP has said that cosmetic similarity does not warrant regulation. The parts are not interchangable with AK even down to the magazine. It is not regulated. We actually practice this.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    The VZ-58 is clearly not regulated. There are specific rifles that are listed as regulated in MD. This list is public and includes the variants thereof. The VZ is not a variant of the AK and it is only has a resemblance to the AK. The MSP has said that cosmetic similarity does not warrant regulation. The parts are not interchangable with AK even down to the magazine. It is not regulated. We actually practice this.

Well thanks for mentioning that because I will be purchasing this from engage, and my friend is also interested in this rifle so you will see me as soon as my tax returns get here!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Well I got my FFL to agree that it's not regulated... He's a proper rifle kind of guy, I don't think he much appreciates the assault weapons. :) Still he's a great guy, lots of knowledge.

Mark

You might have to PM me who this is so I can have a VZ-58 shipped to him one day lol

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Bravo for posting that publicly!

I've done business with engage... Friendly, professional, and knowledgeable.

Fair price when you consider Kensington isn't exactly low rent.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom