• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has made it to the range with their Shooters Discount vz-58. I'm planning on taking mine to Hap Baker this coming Wednesday. I'm not a big folding stock fan so I ordered a complete buttstock from Czechpoint for $65. I doubt if it will be here by Wednesday but I don't see a problem with the folder, it locks up solid with zero wiggle.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Not yet. Going to VA today to pick up my mags, though. Already got the sling, bayonet and cleaning kit.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Not yet. Going to VA today to pick up my mags, though. Already got the sling, bayonet and cleaning kit.

Did you get a VZ? I think I may have to build one this weekend... :) Been meaning to do it for a while now.

Mark

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Did you get a VZ? I think I may have to build one this weekend... :) Been meaning to do it for a while now.

Mark

This rifle handles really well. It's lighter than a stamped AK, even though the receiver is milled. Dunno how that will translate to felt recoil, however.

The slanted muzzle should really help with climb.

The folding stock is rock solid, at least before it's been used a lot.

[jealous] If you build one I really would like to see how it turns out. [/jealous] Your building skills are so much better than mine.

Bryan

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I guess bbrown got them from "centerfire systems" as they have a complete accessory vz58 kit; 4 mags, mag pouch, bayonet, and some other stuff for $79.95. That's not a bad deal at all:thumbsup:

Yes, I was going to order from them but their package didn't come with a sling. Gotta have an original sling. :)

Bryan

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yes, I was going to order from them but their package didn't come with a sling. Gotta have an original sling. :)

Bryan

I didn't get the sling, but I have the armorer's kit from APEX. :) Anyone need parts, LOL. I purchased it for the 10 mags. Ran me $300 though.

Mark

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I haven't broken anything yet, so I guess I don't need any parts right now. If anyone's interested I'll post when I get back from the range. Like I said I plan on going Wednesday to Hap Baker.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    was looking to pick one of these up from work.... what do you guys think about this rifle ???? like it love it it's okay????? I was also wondering if these are straight shooter's or not.....thanks

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I really like mine but haven't actually fired it yet. The workmanship looks first rate. I have some AKs and the Vz-58 looks much better in fit and finish. If it works and is reasonably accurate than I'd give it a big thumbs up. The mags are available and about the same price as AK mags, maybe a little more but still reasonable. The Vz-58 can be loaded with SKS stripper clips so that's a plus. The non-chrome bore isn't a big deal, almost all military ammo pre-WWII was corrosive and the rifles bores weren't chrome lined. I'll post a report when I get back from the range.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I really like mine but haven't actually fired it yet. The workmanship looks first rate. I have some AKs and the Vz-58 looks much better in fit and finish. If it works and is reasonably accurate than I'd give it a big thumbs up. The mags are available and about the same price as AK mags, maybe a little more but still reasonable. The Vz-58 can be loaded with SKS stripper clips so that's a plus. The non-chrome bore isn't a big deal, almost all military ammo pre-WWII was corrosive and the rifles bores weren't chrome lined. I'll post a report when I get back from the range.

If you build a VZ on the original barrel with an extended and permanently attached muzzle brake, those barrels are chrome lined. That's what I am working on building now... Alternatively you can build a VZ-58 Pistol on a new receiver with the original barrel. The original barrels are accurate shooters and the VZ-58 should be reliable once it feeds well. Some had feeding issues, but once corrected they run 100%.

Mark

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    You can't use a regular AK/Galil LULA magazine loader with the VZ58 mags because of the different magazine geometry.

Bryan

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    [jealous] If you build one I really would like to see how it turns out. [/jealous] Your building skills are so much better than mine.

Bryan

A. Don't be jealous, you're as good as I am... I'm just a hack.

B. You're welcome to come share a beer anytime... you have my number, text me and we'll hang out.

Fulci Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    I still need to shoot mine. It looks good though. Little mag wobble and the folding stock wobbles a bit too. Anyway to tighten the stock?

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    My folding stock had a little wiggle at first. I took the stock apart and the locking mechanism was full of dirt, sand and sticky grease. After cleaning it up it now locks up solid with no wiggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom