• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My Ruger experience has been predominantly with their revolvers, and I have to say for the price it's hard to argue with their quality. I've heard horror stories of their semi-auto pistols and rifles, but a nice Single Six or Blackhawk can stand the test of time with any Colt or S&W I've shot. Yeah the Rugers lack the "Colt 4-click" if you want the historical accuracy, but the modern safety gives them more functionality and from my experience a Ruger wheelgun is an excellent range piece that I'd have no qualm about throwing thousands of rounds through.

Dec 31, 2012
    oh, and the new ranch rifles with the tapered barrels are great, more like that please. The accuracy is definitely 100% better, and I think you can do even better.

Also love the SR-22 pistol

As do I.
    My wife liked my SR22 so much that she got her own because she didn't want to share. Her first semi and second Ruger in her name. She's laid claim to my LCR as well. She is not so fond of the SR9c but I like it.

I'm waiting for a SS convertible single six.
    Maybe I'll see it by the 4th of July. :rolleyes:

My big want is a SS Blackhawk 357/9 convertible 6.5bbl
    Please start making them again. I said as much in the survey.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My big want is a SS Blackhawk 357/9 convertible 6.5bbl
    Please start making them again. I said as much in the survey.

This!:party29:

Maybe I'm just crazing and have been huffing too many fumes from Pontiac engines again (because I don't like old off-beat stuff at all:rolleyes:), but are we starting to see a small resurgence in .41 magnum guns? I remember a few years ago the "do-it-all magnum" was pretty much wasted space in a magazine talking about the good ol' days or a small afterthought in a reloading manual, but now I'm seeing a Blackhawk in .41 mag that I don't remember being there before!:D

True nickel plated Blackhawk with short barrel in .41 magnum and some pearl grips...:brows:

Other ideas? Sure, I got a couple:
    -I want to see Ruger single-action quality in something other than just the 1873 SAA, it's nice but let's get some variety for the cowboy market like a Lightning or open-top gun. Every time I pull the hammer on a Uberti/Cimarron SA revolver that is something like a Remington 1975/1890 I think how cool it is but how mediocre I am about the action, then I can't stomach the price tag and just leave with money burning a hole in my pocket for a SA revolver but nothing to satisfy my tastes. Ruger?
    -I get it, the .38/.357 and .45LC guns are the two you see mostly in the cowboy revolvers, but can I get something else? I know Ruger was pushing that whole .327 Federal thing a while back, SWEET! The cowboy guys tend to like that .32 S&W/H&R magnum stuff (not to mention the .32-20 aka .32WCF that still has some popularity in the SA wheelgun market) and it's all compatible in a .327 Federal gun, so if we're already pushing it and this new .327 Federal magnum caliber is supposed to be so amazing, where is the Colt 1873 or other replica firing a caliber that tends to be shot by vintage revolver guys that would like a SA for the fun of it over a modern 7-shot DA revolver? Ruger?
    -There's already a loyal following in the cowboy market, which has proven itself to be large enough for some companies to thrive almost entirely on it, so how about putting out some variety with one of the best names out there? Ruger?
    -

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My suggestions are always the same to them:

1) The Mini-14 and 30 should be re-worked to take AR and AK mags or at least some form of an adapter should be offered.

2) The Mini-14 should also be chambered in .30 carbine and take GI mags.

3) a RELIABLE 10/22 in .22WMR would ROCK.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Let's see...which Ruger that I've personally owned and operated sucks:
    Security Six...accuracy issues- none; reliability issues- none; quality issues- none
    P89...accuracy issues- none; reliability issues- none; quality issues- none
    P90...accuracy issues- none; reliability issues- none; quality issues- none
    Super Redhawk...accuracy issues- none; reliability issues- none; quality issues- none
    Mini-14...accuracy issues- none; reliability issues- none; quality issues- none

I have put many thousands of rounds downrange through Ruger firearms not only at firearms ranges, both climate controlled and exposed to the elements during all four seasons, but in the field where things can go wrong quickly. I have had not a single problem out of ANY of them...no meandering sights...no feeding, ejection or jam failures...no finish, rust or broken part troubles...NOTHING. They do what I ask of them at least as good as I am able to direct them without hiccup or complaint and are very easy to maintain, all for a wage that regular guys can manage. They won't earn you a lot of ooos and aahs at the range compared to the boutique brands but frankly, I'd rather have trusty warhorse than a show pony when it's my backside in the saddle. Impeccable out-of-the-box reliability is a quality I happen to admire and I appreciate not having to swap out anything other than perhaps grips to make them work well for me.

Feb 28, 2013
    The words "we at Ruger" makes me wonder if you work for Ruger. Do you?

I looked at the survey, and I did not answer it. I have four Ruger products. I think they are worth their scrap value. I would never, under any circumstances, buy another gun Ruger made or designed. Of course, that isn't what they want to hear, which is why the survey is worded as it is.

I'll give you double scrap value for those junky Rugers.;)

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD

1) The Mini-14 and 30 should be re-worked to take AR and AK mags or at least some form of an adapter should be offered.

I would like them to bring back the Mini-14 in 6.8 SPC and 20 round mags for it.

Although a 10/22 in .22 LR is no big deal to me, I would however give my left kidney for a 10/22 in .22 WMR. :D

Dec 31, 2012
    I would like them to bring back the Mini-14 in 6.8 SPC and 20 round mags for it.

Although a 10/22 in .22 LR is no big deal to me, I would however give my left kidney for a 10/22 in .22 WMR. :D

22WMR semi-auto pistol and rifle are selectable options for future products in the survey if you have yet to take it.

Maybe they'll 'borrow' the PMR30 design...

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Both posts quoted above indicate the 10/22 chambered in .22 WMR. IIRC, Ruger did make that gun in that caliber; again IIRC, I had mags for it in stock back in the day. If Ruger DIDN'T make a 10/22 in .22 WMR back in the day, would somebody tell me what kind of bunion and vaginal discharge I've been smoking lately. :smoke:

I noticed joppaj capped the word "RELIABLE" in his post, so that leads me to think I'm right. Perhaps they dropped that caliber from the line because of UN-reliability???

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I own a 10-22 in 22 magnum so your not smoking anything Lou lol. But there known for cracking bolts they were made of tungsten carbide. Ruger I dont believe support them anymore due to cost of producing the bolts. Its a awesome gun though !!!!!!:-)

Dec 31, 2012
    They don't make them anymore aside from mags.
    There's still a few high priced used ones around.
    I was very interested in a used model over at Christian Soldier until I read about the many failings.
    Straight blowback 22 mag = damage on the wrong side of the gun.
    The PMR30 has a work around for the issue.

yes, reliable would be the key word

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    currently Love my Ruger GP100

used to love my Ranch Rifle, a buddy loved it more and made me a great offer

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They nailed it Lou. I wanted one until Dan at Gun Connection explained the bolt issue and cautioned me to avoid them unless I had a line on spare parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom