• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Statement by Vincent DeMarco, President of Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, on early indicators that the Firearms Safety Act is saving lives

(Baltimore) – Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence commends Governor Martin O’Malley, Lt. Governor Anthony Brown and the Maryland General Assembly for enacting the landmark Firearms Safety Act of 2013. As national experts such as Professor Daniel Webster of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health have taught us, the new law’s requirement that prospective handgun purchasers first go through a fingerprint-based background check and get a license from the State Police is one of the most effective tools a state can use to prevent gun violence and save lives. States that have had this provision on the books for decades have substantially lower gun death rates than similar states that do not have this provision.

We thank Senate Judicial Proceedings Chair Brian Frosh and House Judiciary Vice-Chair Kathleen Dumais for their forceful and effective advocacy of fingerprint licensing on the floor of the Senate and House. We also thank Attorney General Doug Gansler and his office for the terrific job they are doing in defending our new gun violence prevention law in Court.

As Professor Webster makes clear, it will take some time before we can fully measure the impact of the new fingerprint licensing provision on gun violence in our state. However, there is early evidence that the new law, which went into effect on October 1, 2013, in combination with other effective gun violence prevention tools implemented by the O’Malley-Brown Administration and state and local law enforcement agencies, is saving lives. According to state police records, the number of gun homicides in Maryland dropped by 21% between January 1 through April 30, 2014 when compared with January 1 through April 30, 2013(from 85 to 67). During the same time period, the number of non-fatal shootings in our state dropped 12%(from 170 to 149).

This data gives us real hope that the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, in combination with other effective gun violence prevention measures, is already saving lives and will continue to do so. But, we cannot rest here. We, at Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, will do all that we can to make sure that our new lifesaving gun violence prevention law stays on the books and is fully and effectively implemented.

Support our work to reduce gun violence in Maryland: Make A Donation
    Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence | 2600 St. Paul Street | Baltimore, MD 21218 |
    You are receiving this message because you subscribed to our mailing list: Unsubscribe

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Were was this posted so we can take the excerpts from Dr. Webster's deposition that clear shows he copied his information and that there is no clear proof that these things work?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Were was this posted so we can take the excerpts from Dr. Webster's deposition that clear shows he copied his information and that there is no clear proof that these things work?

My thoughts exactly. Quotes from that depo. will be very effective demarco B.S. antidote. It looks like it is probably just their email press release. Lets see which "ministry of truth" publications reprint it verbatim and post accordingly.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    These are small numbers. Let's see the fact patterns and analysis behind each one of them. Dollars to doughnuts he turns out to make Susan Rice, the standard-bearer for official government lies, look like a pillar of virtue by comparison.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Statement by Vincent DeMarco, President of Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, on early indicators that the Firearms Safety Act is saving lives

(Baltimore) – Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence commends Governor Martin O’Malley, Lt. Governor Anthony Brown and the Maryland General Assembly for enacting the landmark Firearms Safety Act of 2013. As national experts such as Professor Daniel Webster of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health have taught us, the new law’s requirement that prospective handgun purchasers first go through a fingerprint-based background check and get a license from the State Police is one of the most effective tools a state can use to prevent gun violence and save lives. States that have had this provision on the books for decades have substantially lower gun death rates than similar states that do not have this provision.

We thank Senate Judicial Proceedings Chair Brian Frosh and House Judiciary Vice-Chair Kathleen Dumais for their forceful and effective advocacy of fingerprint licensing on the floor of the Senate and House. We also thank Attorney General Doug Gansler and his office for the terrific job they are doing in defending our new gun violence prevention law in Court.

As Professor Webster makes clear, it will take some time before we can fully measure the impact of the new fingerprint licensing provision on gun violence in our state. However, there is early evidence that the new law, which went into effect on October 1, 2013, in combination with other effective gun violence prevention tools implemented by the O’Malley-Brown Administration and state and local law enforcement agencies, is saving lives. According to state police records, the number of gun homicides in Maryland dropped by 21% between January 1 through April 30, 2014 when compared with January 1 through April 30, 2013(from 85 to 67). During the same time period, the number of non-fatal shootings in our state dropped 12%(from 170 to 149).

This data gives us real hope that the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, in combination with other effective gun violence prevention measures, is already saving lives and will continue to do so. But, we cannot rest here. We, at Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, will do all that we can to make sure that our new lifesaving gun violence prevention law stays on the books and is fully and effectively implemented.

Support our work to reduce gun violence in Maryland: Make A Donation
    Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence | 2600 St. Paul Street | Baltimore, MD 21218 |
    You are receiving this message because you subscribed to our mailing list: Unsubscribe

6 dead in 4 days in June, the bodies are piling up again.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.

This was a press release put out today by Marylander's To Prevent Gun Violence

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    For each and every press release or statement issued by that guy, MSI and its sister organizations should prepare a correcting factual response to set the record straight, and disseminate it to everyone on demarco's list, and elsewhere.

I'm getting approximately 312% more sex in calender year 2014 versus 2013. I attribute this to Pepsico marketing "Pepsi Throwback" in Bedford County, VA and the greater Roanoke area.

Solid proof that soda made with natural sugar instead of HFCS contributes to getting more sex.

Every bit as solid research-wise as Vinny D's ******** stats.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So the 18 year-old gangbangers were buying handguns? right...

... by following the current MD statutes. Most definitely, and you can count on that. ;)

I wonder how many handguns were sold in Maryland during 2013.

Hmmmm

Willing to posit that the relationship of the number of handgun sales to law abiding citizens in compliance with pre- and post-FSA requirements has no correlation to the number of shootings in the state.

Does Vinnie ever ponder how the criminals obtain firearms? By definition,only law abiding citizens abide laws.

We had an unusually cold and wet winter.

Let's see how it holds up this summer.

Exactly. Now there's a direct correlative relationship, proven time and again. Mighty convenient for him to exclude this causal factor.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I am going to a south Baltimore gun store later today to pick up some 'pieces' but I will not be armed,. I am one of the thousands who don't even apply for a Concealed permit.

I can truthfully say that I feel less safe on the streets of any central Maryland city than I ever did in Nha Trang, Saigon, Ban Me Thout, Pleiku, Kontum or any other Vietnamese city in the late '60s. AND, I was not armed during my year and a half stays in Nha Trang or Saigon. I lived in the heart of those snakepits and US forces were not permitted to tote their individually assigned military weapon off US compounds.

We were sitting ducks every day and managed to survive in spite of the ridiculous policy that was in effect. Would not repeat those days at any cost.

Lew--Ranger63
    Unsafe, MD 20769

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I am going to a south Baltimore gun store later today to pick up some 'pieces' but I will not be armed,. I am one of the thousands who don't even apply for a Concealed permit.

I can truthfully say that I feel less safe on the streets of any central Maryland city than I ever did in Nha Trang, Saigon, Ban Me Thout, Pleiku, Kontum or any other Vietnamese city in the late '60s. AND, I was not armed during my year and a half stays in Nha Trang or Saigon. I lived in the heart of those snakepits and US forces were not permitted to tote their individually assigned military weapon off US compounds.

We were sitting ducks every day and managed to survive in spite of the ridiculous policy that was in effect. Would not repeat those days at any cost.

Lew--Ranger63
    Unsafe, MD 20769

That is one hell of a statement to our progress as a country!

Thank you for your service! :patriot:

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE

Lew--Ranger63
    Unsafe, MD 20769

Amen, brother.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the polar vortex reduced murders and shootings in baltimore. because for almost a month straight it was too cold to be outside.

baltimore's 2014 crime rate will dwarf 2013, and baltimore is in the running to be the murder capitol of the us.

memorial day weekend in baltimore had 12 shootings and 3 murders alone.

85 by 6/4/2014 w/ a month of temps well below freezing
    http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-baltimore-city-homicides-list-and.html

90 by 6/4/2013
    http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-baltimore-city-homicides.html

statistically insignificant difference at this point, if you look at raw calendar days. if you take the #'s of days with temperatures warm enough to not produce frostbite.... baltimore is in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom