• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    From the article:

"public transportation, schools, government buildings, bars, stadiums, and hospitals are off limits, as are protests and an area around the White House. Individuals carrying a handgun will have to remain 1,000 feet away from U.S. or foreign dignitaries."

Pretty much impossible to carry. How are you supposed to know about the very vague "dignitaries", or avoid them when a caravan of DC police and Secret Service vehicles comes careening past you?

If the article is correct, a de facto ban seems to exist. As it was intended to, no doubt.

That's just slightly more gentle than what I figured they'd do.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3310528#post3310528

Code:

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    I'm not defending the law, but DC is more than just downtown. There are plenty of places you could carry in the many neighborhoods of DC where carry would be great because of street crime. and not be in violation of the law, even as restrictive as it is. I do agree the intent of the law is to restrict carry by law abiding citizens. Hopefully Judge Sculin will agree as well.

Sure, right up until there's a protest nearby or some dignitary decides to go visit his girlfriend while his wife is out of town. Now suddenly you're in violation.

Code:

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    Depending on how its written that roving dignitary zone could preclude carry in your own house. Also, what is the definition of "dignitary"? That could be overly broad as well so you couldn't carry in some surprising places. All government buildings (DMV?) being off limits is stupid too. People without cars can't defend themselves? Sick.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I doubt any dignitary will be in Barry Farm or Division Ave. and Foote Street NE. But you never know...

Some residents stay in their own neighborhoods and never venture downtown. I do agree the intent is to basically make it nearly impossible to legally carry though.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I doubt any dignitary will be in Barry Farm or Division Ave. and Foote Street NE. But you never know...

Some residents stay in their own neighborhoods and never venture downtown. I do agree the intent is to basically make it nearly impossible to legally carry though.

We should plant "dignitaries" on a 2000 ft grid so every square inch is covered, then the gun crime rate will instantly fall to zero!

:rolleyes:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    When reciprocal carry came up last time, we had 57 votes. I have not busted out that spreadsheet, but if I had to guess based on recall, I'd say we now have 59 or 60 votes (some seats changed hands, but some of the Ds voted for it). There are some squishy Ds up for re-election in 2016 not sure which way the wind will blow, that might now only vote as part of some larger package including "background checks." Whatever that means.

So, based on that, its not even clear we have enough to overcome a filibuster. Definitely not a veto override.

It'll be interesting what happens here in Jan. I strongly suspect there is a deal to be had. DC carry, national carry, in return for _____? It would not be horrible to throw in something to neutralize these ballot initiatives. The question is what is ____?

We should have 60 votes right now, perhaps 1 more (Harry Reid who voted yes in his election year then no when he wasn't up). I would suspect if we had to have one or the other (National Recip or DC shall-issue), we take National Recip, because anyone visiting DC will now be able to carry and the DC lawsuit can still continue and possibly get all the way to SCOTUS. Keep in mind this would have to be added as an amendment to a larger "must-sign" bill like the budget or defense. As far as squishy Dems, there's only a small handful that could derail this and all are in pro-gun states, and some have already voted for this twice.
    Now that the legislation is permanent (unless Congress acts), I take it DC has abandoned the total ban, at least on paper.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm not defending the law, but DC is more than just downtown. There are plenty of places you could carry in the many neighborhoods of DC where carry would be great because of street crime. and not be in violation of the law, even as restrictive as it is. I do agree the intent of the law is to restrict carry by law abiding citizens. Hopefully Judge Sculin will agree as well.

From what I've seen our side will not be challenging this, at least yet. They are concentrating on shall-issue for now.
    I think the challenge to all these no-carry zones will basically try to confine these zones to the inside of the buildings (or the actual property of the buildings).

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Well if all Dignitaries were forced to us an app like WAZE, with special dignitary icon,,,just so permit holders wouldn't be in violation.
    I would love it!

Apr 10, 2012
    Frederick County
    ...joining Oregon and Alaska in victories that add fuel to the pot legalization movement. But Congress, which has constitutional oversight of the U.S. capital city, can disapprove a measure within a review period of 30 business days. The president must also approve Congress' action to stop the initiative from becoming law...

A recent Reuters article: Washington, D.C., voters OK legal pot, but congressional hurdles remain Nov 5, Ian Simpson.

Confirms that The Executive needs to concur in overturn.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm not going to do it, I'm not going to do it....

I would anticipate a few weeks, perhaps into early Jan for a ruling on the 2 Motions still outstanding in the District Court (Permanent Injunction, Contempt). The Holiday will have an impact as well.

The Circuit Court has certainly gotten the message of there being unfinished business at District, and this surely hasn't escaped Judge Scullin.

Good thing you didn't :lol2:

Looks more like January.

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    Dignitaries as an elite class, in DC...

Using the word "dignatary" is borrowing the classic Maryland firearms-law-word nonsense. Same word-game as "HBAR".

Just a thought experiment, or the "Substitution Game" as Sharyl Atkisson calls it, in her outstanding book "Stonewalled" talking about major media bias.

Imagine Dick Cheney, or Rudy Giuliani, proposing new laws elevating "dignitaries" over American citizens, as justification for taking away one of their basic constitutional rights.

Lets use 1A: no reporter will be allowed to opine about dignitaries, within 1000 feet, or in certain buildings, parks, or onthe Metro.

Can you imagine the outrage?

Lets make it more specific. No black person may carry a gun within 1000 feet of a dignitary.

Yet, with the exception of Volokh, reporting after the fact on the law, there is not a peep at the WAPO on the 2A controversy at the Council. Not one mention in the multi-article collection of whats ahead, what challeges, upon the new mayors inauguration...by multiple authors.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/

Radio silence on 2A rights at WAPO...this is an editorial diktat, on what shall be news, and what must. Not. Be. Spoken.

Ironically, gay rights is high on the agenda, and the irony of DC Council defying SCOTUS and Federal District Court ruling, on Palmer, and the history of plaintiffs on Heller, while crimes against gays continue, is completely lost on the WAPO apparachiki.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015/01/02/d-c-police-investigating-male-male-sexual-assault/

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    And at the Daily Blade, which bills itself as "the nations voice for the lgbt community for 45 years"....

There is a link to reporting on the same black on gay hate crime, right under the local news hailing the new mayor,
    With not a peep on the biggest issue offering the right to on self defense for gay people...

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015/01/03/muriel-bowser-sworn-d-c-mayor/

I thought Gura's response to the DC District Court on the Palmer contempt motion was brilliant, citing the history of the civil rights movement.

As was the amici in the Peruta case, by the Pink Pistols national 2A rights group, as well as the Liberal Gun Owners group.

Any reporting on either, by the Nations Voice of Gay people...hmmm googling, nope
    http://www.google.com/search?q="dai....1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..32.1.108.0fs7tWa9Wmk

Some are fleeing The Progresive Plantation even while the mouthpieces at the Reliable Party Organs play monkey see no evil...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom