• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Why would you want to sell it? I completed my C308 and Mosin, for now. Next will be the Vepr in 54r with 23"

I have the one with the 23" barrel. Sweet looking gun if you're into the black rifle look.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-tactical-rifle-7-62x54r-detail.html?Itemid=0

For one, I would not want to shoot corrosive ammo out of mine. I shoot plenty out of my mosins, which are easy to clean but find cleaning my AK-74 is a bit of a bear. I am always nervous I missed a spot in the flash suppressor, gas tube, etc etc and it will rust up immediately. For a gun that cost nearly double my 74 and 10x my mosins, its not worth the risk IMHO. And yes, I keep a bottle of windex in my range bag and know the tricks of corrosive ammo.

I also am a man who is nearly obsessed with precision and accuracy. Unfortunately, I don't find the VEPR/AK series to have it to the level I would like. Minute of man at 300 yards? Sure thing, but not a deer's vitals.

I've been thinking I'd rather have an FN FNAR with a heavy barrel. Semi-auto .308 with 20 round mags and MOA accuracy. Plus I reload .308 which helps keep ammo costs not too far from surplus 54R.

Last edited:

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    That make sense, good things MUST come in pairs! Where do you get the VEPRs from? And is the 54r in 23"? The only place I know that will do the transfer is Duffy.

Atlantic is about the best place to get one. Shooters Supply in Berlin will do Vepr Transfers.

I have the one with the 23" barrel. Sweet looking gun if you're into the black rifle look.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-tactical-rifle-7-62x54r-detail.html?Itemid=0

For one, I would not want to shoot corrosive ammo out of mine. I shoot plenty out of my mosins, which are easy to clean but find cleaning my AK-74 is a bit of a bear. I am always nervous I missed a spot in the flash suppressor, gas tube, etc etc and it will rust up immediately. For a gun that cost nearly double my 74 and 10x my mosins, its not worth the risk IMHO. And yes, I keep a bottle of windex in my range bag and know the tricks of corrosive ammo.

I also am a man you is nearly obsessed with precision and accuracy. Unfortunately, I don't find the VEPR/AK series to have it to the level I would like. Minute of man at 300 yards? Sure thing, but not a deer's vitals.

I've been thinking I'd rather have an FN FNAR with a heavy barrel. Semi-auto .308 with 20 round mags and MOA accuracy. Plus I reload .308 which helps keep ammo costs not too far from surplus 54R.

Agreed on the ammo. I did't buy it to shoot nasty old ammo out of it. I only buy new production steel to feed it. I've though about trying to get some brass to do some reloads and see how that works out.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD

I also am a man who is nearly obsessed with precision and accuracy. Unfortunately, I don't find the VEPR/AK series to have it to the level I would like. Minute of man at 300 yards? Sure thing, but not a deer's vitals.

I love the all black tactical look of all rifles to include the VEPR. I don't think it's legal in Maryland now? even the "hunter/sport" model with the thumdhold is merely legal. As far as cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo, I totally understand the paranoid part that you might miss a spot on a thousand dollar rifle.

As far as accuracy, I don't that care that much because I know they are not a Remington 700. I like them because they are what they are! Like the C308, is that a great rifle? I said no but that's what I can own legally, affordable and I always admired the HK legendary since I was a little kid, you would see one of those HK sniper rifles, and you just wished to have one.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I purchased mins after the SB281. The transferring dealer told me parts are not interchangeable with an AK so therefore its not an AK......dunno. Don't feel like getting into that debate so I'm just going to leave it at that.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I shoot the heck out of milsurp ammo out of mine. I don't do anything at the range. Soak parts in hot water/balistol mix in the evening when I get home. Not THAT hard to clean. Take wood foreend off, put barrel down in the utility sink, and get soapy! Got mine pre-sb281 and still no rust. I've been looking for a SVD type buttstock but part of me says to put all poly/aluminum furniture on it so I can clean it even faster (just turn the hose on it at first!)

Good thing about shooting corrosive ammo: Once you pull the trigger once, might as well pull it a 100+ more times;) Takes the same time to clean either way!

No idea how you can reload 308 for close to 54R. Cheapest plinking rounds I can make are $0.33. >50% more than 54R. And I don't have to chase brass;)

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I purchased mins after the SB281. The transferring dealer told me parts are not interchangeable with an AK so therefore its not an AK......dunno. Don't feel like getting into that debate so I'm just going to leave it at that.

100% agree! At some point I will defininitely get a hand on one of these monster VEPR in 54r

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I shoot the heck out of milsurp ammo out of mine. I don't do anything at the range. Soak parts in hot water/balistol mix in the evening when I get home. Not THAT hard to clean. Take wood foreend off, put barrel down in the utility sink, and get soapy! Got mine pre-sb281 and still no rust. I've been looking for a SVD type buttstock but part of me says to put all poly/aluminum furniture on it so I can clean it even faster (just turn the hose on it at first!)

Good thing about shooting corrosive ammo: Once you pull the trigger once, might as well pull it a 100+ more times;) Takes the same time to clean either way!

No idea how you can reload 308 for close to 54R. Cheapest plinking rounds I can make are $0.33. >50% more than 54R. And I don't have to chase brass;)

Good to hear that. I got mine 54r surplus within these two years after I got my first Mosin and they were on sale for around 23 cents around shipped. Oh yeah I got a ton of them! Now I am so tempted to get the Vepr

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Corrosive ammo isn't scary, just not put-in-safe-fuggedatboutit easy.

No seriously, it'll pit your barrel at a fraction of the price of "good" ammo. Stay away. So I can have what's left of the surplus.

Sirex