• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    That was my source. The scavengers guide to haute cuisine is also an excellent read. I believe Rinella is one of the best role models in outdoor sports in a long time.

Agreed. He's a great voice in the hunting community and his vast knowledge of the role hunting has played in American history is astounding. I'm currently reading his book American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon and I'm really enjoying it.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Consuming the heart after a successful harvest of a deer hunt the same day of the kill has been a family ritual as long as I can remember. When I first saw how my grandfather carefully did a prayer and dressed his deer in the field taking care to wrap up heart and liver I was hooked on the hunt. I destroyed the heart last year with my slug gun so I did not get a chance to consume the heart. never could bring myself to cook the liver though. I sauté mine with garlic and olive oil after soaking it in brine for about 4 hours in the fridge.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I havent tried heart yet...I usually forgot about it...last season I gave the hearts/livers to a friend that loves them...I may try a heart this year. I/we have been moving the last week so I havent been able to go deer hunting :(

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I got my first deer with a bow, and my first whitetail on friday. I decided to take a page out of Steven Rinella's book from the episode where he took Joe Rogan on his first hunt. I took the heart, cored it like a pepper, then stuffed it with garlic, onion, green pepper and apple. Then wrapped it in foil and cooked it over a fire. It was by far the best piece of venison I've ever had. Definitely doing that with every deer heart from now on!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I rarely get a heart, from a deer that I kill. When a rifle bullet transits the vitals, well, you know what happens. The liver on the other hand is excellent with onions, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and a side salad.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I got my first deer with a bow, and my first whitetail on friday. I decided to take a page out of Steven Rinella's book from the episode where he took Joe Rogan on his first hunt. I took the heart, cored it like a pepper, then stuffed it with garlic, onion, green pepper and apple. Then wrapped it in foil and cooked it over a fire. It was by far the best piece of venison I've ever had. Definitely doing that with every deer heart from now on!

:thumbsup: This sounds fantastic. I will be giving this a shot.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'll have to try that..

I rarely get a heart, from a deer that I kill. When a rifle bullet transits the vitals, well, you know what happens. The liver on the other hand is excellent with onions, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and a side salad.

Im with you on that...I dont mess with heart or liver if its a gut shot...with a good broadside shot typically the heart/liver is ok. I typically give it away or discard it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I ate the heart of my first deer last year the same day I killed it. I actually eat the heart of any animals I kill as long as it isn't destroyed, which up until last year when I finally took a deer was limited to ducks, geese and squirrels. I make a point to utilize the entire animal to the extent possible, and somehow eating the heart makes me feel a real connection to the animal--like I'm absorbing its totem or whatever.

I really love the taste of heart. If you have never had it, just imagine the most meaty meatiest meat taste and add a little meat sauce to it. It's just so friggin good, and incredibly filling. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I also think (or like to think) that since all those nutrients are pumped into the blood from the heart, the heart must have a lot of good stuff in it, too.

Last year my brother and I split the heart of the buck we took and could barely finish it between us; it's so filling! I tried to eat the liver as well but just didn't care for it. Amazingly, my dog didn't even really like the liver and he'll generally eat anything other than vegetables. I ended up putting the remaining liver in the freezer and using it for fish bait. Catfish love it!

I ended up taking a second deer last year and made the heart the same way both times. I got this method from Dave Canterbury's youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVs1nzBCqw8

First, boil the entire heart in a pot of water for about five minutes. Then, remove it from the water and slice it really thin. Then quickly cook those slices in a pan with some butter, salt/pepper and any spice you like (a dash of Old Bay is great). Don't cook them very long at all. Then sit back, eat, enjoy and witness new chest hairs growing right before your eyes.

Like Dave says in the video, don't waste that delicious organ meat! I've been thinking about how delicious that heart was ever since last year--and I know that tomorrow when I'm getting rained on while out bow hunting I'll be fantasizing about the possibility of getting a heart...I mean deer.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County

Is it really that good? I usually leave all that stuff with the rest of the guts. I always feel torn though, between not wanting to eat some gamy organ meat and not wanting the waste stuff.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    What about kidneys and stomach? Rognons de venaison and Tripe de venaison a la Caen? I've had beef heart, liver, and kidneys, and they are all delicious. The secret with these parts of a cow are not to overcook them.

Never managed to get a bovine stomach for tripe.

No one has ever offered me these parts of a deer, and I've never managed to go hunting myself. So I'm curious who's tried them and what they think.

This is making me hungry!

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    When I bring the heart home, I put it in a bowel of water with salt, and ice cubes in it. The wife cleans it up later and slices it and puts it in the ice box. I usually eat it the next morning. I rinse it off, shake it up in a bag of flour, and fry it. I never cared for the liver.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom