• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I have a friend who is moving to MD next month. Is there anything that he needs to do as far as his handguns?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Just two things, they cannot be on the "assault pistols" list, and they generally have to be 21 to possess handguns without being suprervised by someone who is at least 21 years old.

Other than that.....nothing. They do not have to tell the state or anything they brought handguns with them.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Another thing, if he wants to buy a handgun not on the MD handgun roster, then tell him to do it before he moves and bring them with him because he cannot buy them in MD. Some newer guns are not on the list yet and some other guns like the NAA Mini Revolver and most derringers are not on the roster.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Just two things, they cannot be on the "assault pistols" list, and they generally have to be 21 to possess handguns without being suprervised by someone who is at least 21 years old.

Other than that.....nothing. They do not have to tell the state or anything they brought handguns with them.

As far as I know, he has a Dan Wesson 357, a Walther PPK, and a Sig 2022. And he is much older than 21; he is in his 50's.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just echoing what Novus said, no he doesn't need to register them and none of those you mentioned are considered evil assault pistols (those are more things like TEC-9's, semiauto MAC-11's, etc.). Once he becomes a MD resident on any future purchases of handguns or any of the state-designated "assault rifles" he will be required to do the 7-day MSP paperwork and a "voluntary" registration form on anything he buys. And as Novus said he will also have to deal with the stupid handgun roster (and integral lock laws) for new purchases. A good idea to buy anything he wants now before he moves.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Off topic but a question for Novus:

I was told that the Sig556 is regulated. I dug around more and it's not on the list but a shop near me told me that since it looks like the 551 it will get regulated and I will have to do the "registration"

Any truth to that? Can they retroactively make do something like that if it's not on the list? From my views, MD has nothing to do with it since it was a cash and carry purchase.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Off topic but a question for Novus:

I was told that the Sig556 is regulated. I dug around more and it's not on the list but a shop near me told me that since it looks like the 551 it will get regulated and I will have to do the "registration"

Any truth to that? Can they retroactively make do something like that if it's not on the list? From my views, MD has nothing to do with it since it was a cash and carry purchase.

Do a thread search on this issue because this has been discussed a lot in at least two threads IIRC. Personally I cannot help you because to be honest I don't even know what a sig556 or a sig551 even is, much less how they are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom