VA Resident Carry Permit - Temp Driver License??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    VA Resident Carry Permit - Timeline -45 Days???

Hi Guys,

edit: I applied for my permit this AM and did not need a VA drivers license. I just needed a photo Id.

My county is Loudoun county and I applied at the Leesburg courthouse.

They said up to 45 days and to expect it to take the full 45 days. What were your experiences as far as time till you got your permit?

Original post:
    I just moved to VA and changed my tags and got my temp DL on Saturday. I want to drop by the courthouse and apply for my permit tomorrow.

Did anyone do this with their temp drivers license, which is just a stamped piece of paper? I basically am wondering if I have to have my plastic license to apply.

I have a few Dod badges, my Utah permit and my old MD drivers license with pictures on them.

Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Hi Guys,
    I just moved to VA and changed my tags and got my temp DL on Saturday. I want to drop by the courthouse and apply for my permit tomorrow.

Did anyone do this with their temp drivers license, which is just a stamped piece of paper? I basically am wondering if I have to have my plastic license to apply.

I have a few Dod badges, my Utah permit and my old MD drivers license with pictures on them.

Thanks,
    Tom

You don't even need a drivers license. They actually Take your word that you are a VA resident. Go to the courthouse and get it. Welcome to VA.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What county are you in? I just had to fill out paperwork, attach a copy of my hunter education thing, mail it in, and I got my permit in the mail 4 weeks later.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    What county are you in? I just had to fill out paperwork, attach a copy of my hunter education thing, mail it in, and I got my permit in the mail 4 weeks later.

You didn't have to physically go anywhere? I've been researching it for my upcoming move. Since I'm prior military, it looks like I don't have to take the class.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I botched my app but got my "you botched your app" paper right around the 45 day mark, got my permit about 2-3 weeks after that. I'm in Fairfax Co

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Also, it's the flimsiest damn card I've ever seen. Has anybody done anything to keep theirs in better shape? Laminate it or something?

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Hi Guys,

edit: I applied for my permit this AM and did not need a VA drivers license. I just needed a photo Id.

They said up to 45 days and to expect it to take the full 45 days. What were your experiences as far as time till you got your permit?

Original post:

Thanks,
    Tom

Funny, I was there same day for the same thing, didn't see anyone else there at the counter the 10 min I was there. Applied on the 6th (changing a VA non-res to a VA res) got mine in the mail on the 20th. Woohoo, 14 day turn around. It's totally different from the non-res one. This one is a plastic card, same size as DL/CC, no photo id, but has name address, height/weight, etc.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Hi Guys,

Original post:

Thanks,
    Tom

I wasn't asked for an ID at all. I just went to the courthouse (Fairfax county), turned in my application, paid my money, and that was that. She never asked for ID.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I wasn't asked for an ID at all. I just went to the courthouse (Fairfax county), turned in my application, paid my money, and that was that. She never asked for ID.

ETA
    Application submitted 5/19
    Permit received 6/12

I expected the full 45 days but the mail carrier just dropped it off. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom