• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Also, if someone holds a Maryland CCW, what value is there in having a VA permit as VA recognizes MD?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    VA does not remind you. I believe there are advantages to having a VA non res. Has something to do with federal GFZ's. I can't remember exactly what it is. I am sure someone will be along shortly.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Also, if someone holds a Maryland CCW, what value is there in having a VA permit as VA recognizes MD?

Not much .

If you have Maryland and nothing else , Va will probably still add more Reciprocity . ( Too lazy to look up current Handgunlaw dot us , but it used to .)

Otherwise , just the ambiguity with FGFSA if the exclusion is only for Permits issued by that State , or Permits Honored by that State .

nbklaw

MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore of Maryland

Not much. Worth having for the purpose of annoying VA Demonrats.
    This raises an interesting question. the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act (—as reenacted) is found at 18 USC § 922. if you go down to §§(q)(2)(A) you find that "It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone."

What's a "School Zone?"
    18 USC § 921 Definitions (a) As used in this chapter—
    (25) The term “school zone” means— (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    (26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

So, are there exceptions? The one most relevant to CCW is found at:
    §§(q)(2)(B)(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

So what does all this mean? It would appear (and notwithstanding whatever state "Gun Free School Zone" laws there may be), if you don't have a license issued by the state you happen to be driving in/through, every time you pass 999 feet or less from a school zone, you are an instant federal criminal even if constitutional carry or reciprocity otherwise makes you legal. I didn't go so far as to look up the penalty, but I can assure you it's not a dozen roses and a greeting card.

So for states where you find yourself, particularly states that don't currently issue permits to non-residents, such as New York and Delaware, I don't think that you can necessarily consider that carrying under reciprocity or constitutional carry is a safe harbor.

But that's one reason why you might want to consider getting a VA permit even if you don't live there.

This Federal Law was drafted long before Heller and Bruen and therefore could stand some updating. I would assume it needs to be amended to account for constitutional carry and reciprocity. Better yet, as you may be aware, crime is currently illegal. So maybe the better approach is to draft it such that it applies to anyone entering a school zone with a weapon with the intent to commit a crime, and leaves out all the people just passing by. But in the meantime, something to be aware of, depending on your particular risk tolerance profile.

Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have never been reminded and one day looked at my permit and it had expired by several months.
    I have since renewed it.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I'm leaning against renewing it. States I'm interested in are covered by my Florida and Utah permits. I'm always leery however of overlooking something.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I renewed mine. It is easier to renew than it is to have to apply for a new permit if I let it expire and later change my mind.
    It is annoying that I need a new set of fingerprint cards for the renewal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There is not a huge difference between the Virginia and Utah CC permits.

I wonder, does Va accept the Md W&C course for their non resident training(I'm not worried about it, as I have taken several of the other accepted courses through my travels)?

The reason I ask is, I have a friend who has a Md. carry permit and is having trouble finding a Utah class near him(White Marsh).

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have let all my permis expire except AZ, PA and MD.

I had VA, ME, CT, NH, UT, NV and FL. I won’t ever go to the states with no reciprocity with AZ.

AZ gets me all the same as all the others except those with no reciprocity wherei I will never set foot in, and reasonable fee, no prints or training for renewal. If reciprocity changes I’ll deal with it.

Cheaper, less paperwork and I get the same coverage as before except those I mentioned, all in the sheet hole New England states I mentioned plus MN, where I will never go and never visit.

And the operative word in the GFSZA is KNOWINGLY. If I’m from out of state how would I know? It’s also an add on charge to other charges.

I’ll take my chances as a law abiding citizen

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And AZ only requires a NRA certified class for training like basic pistol. No expensive state mandated training class

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I wonder, does Va accept the Md W&C course for their non resident training
    Yes.
    The reason I ask is, I have a friend who has a Md. carry permit and is having trouble finding a Utah class near him(White Marsh).
    Rising Sun- firearms

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    There is not a huge difference between the Virginia and Utah CC permits.

I wonder, does Va accept the Md W&C course for their non resident training(I'm not worried about it, as I have taken several of the other accepted courses through my travels)?

As much as I dislike them, at one point, Freestate had them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I had a Va Non Res way back in the day (back when it first became the only way to carry in WV .

Back when the raised the Non Res renewal to $100 ( long enough ago that $100 was still serious money ) , I took a careful look , and at the time , every place Va was Recognized , also recognized Utah .

Ironically , with Va now a deep purple , and powerful political forces prioritizing rolling Reciprosity back even farther , I'll probably get another one again before the big rush starts .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes.

Rising Sun- firearms

As much as I dislike them, at one point, Freestate had them.
    Thanks gents!

My apologies for the hijack @rambling_one

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom