• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    This info comes straight from the MD Firearms Training Group web page. I did not know that there was a distinction between the two regarding the holder's name being public record (FL) and confidential (UT). Interesting!

Utah Concealed Firearm Permit
    Covers 28 states or 31 states for Utah residents

Issued: Residents of any state & legal resident aliens

Turn around Time: 60-70 days

Valid for 5 years

Renewals: Every 5 years

Requires: No subsequent classes for renewals

Other: Names of permit holders are confidential

The Utah Concealed Weapon Permit is issued by the State of Utah and is therefore in a standardized format. The Utah permit only authorizes the concealed carry of a handgun even though it uses the term weapon and this also applies to out of state permits used in Utah. The states of Florida, Michigan and New Hampshire will accept the Utah permit only when presented by a resident of Utah. Thus, when carried by a non-resident of Utah, the Utah permit is valid in 28 states instead of the 31 states for Utah residents Utah is more strict with respect to the applicant's background and a conviction for any of the following either will or may result in a denial of the permit application:

Felony

Crime of violence

Offense involving alcohol in the last 5 years

Offense involving unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances (some misdemeanors > 15 years old may be okay)

Offense involving moral turpitude

The Florida CCW
    The Florida CCW permit is as a good permit that is available to both residents and non-residents. However, it is twice the cost of the Utah permit and more than 10 times as much to renew every five years. It remains a good permit but not necessarily as good a value as the Utah permit.

Covers: 28 states or 30 states for Florida residents*

Issued: Residents of any state

Turn around time: up to 90 days

Valid: 5 years

Renewals Every 5 years and requires no subsequent classes for renewals

Live-fire required for all applicants

Other: Names of permit holders are public record

The Florida Concealed Weapon Permit is issued by the State of Florida and is therefore in a standardized format. The Florida permit authorizes the concealed carry of a handgun as well as other weapons such as knives, saps, chemical sprays, etc. in Florida only. In other states that accept the Florida permit, carry is almost always limited to a handgun.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I thought so (I've got the Utah). Not saying these guys are an authority. It's the first time I've seem the publoc/private record thing mentioned.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Looks like there a little outdated. Ut state site shows they are good for 33 states. http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html
    Some of the state that only took the resident permit have changed there laws, such as, WV.
    As a general rule use the state sites to get information about permits. Others may not have the most up to date info. MDENG

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I suggest that if you travel you should get both. Each state has a few states that the other does not. A Utah course can be used for the trainning requirement of FL and VA permits as well. MDENG

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    So, between you guys who have the Fla permits. What percentage of you carry handguns vs saps ?? Just wondering if it's like 50/50 ??

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Florida CCW
    The Florida CCW permit is as a good permit that is available to both residents and non-residents. However, it is twice the cost of the Utah permit and more than 10 times as much to renew every five years. It remains a good permit but not necessarily as good a value as the Utah permit.

Live-fire required for all applicants

Not so. FL accepts the training certificate from UT, which DOES NOT require live fire training.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    jonnl good question... the sap is a good closer but I'm also a fan of axe handles for distance, deep freeze OC/CS mix good to warm up the party (no pun), throwing stars just to F with their world, nunchuks to make me look crazy, I wish I had a tazer but I'd probably zap most people I run into, the sap behind the ear is a guranteed pitstop to the ER unless you come off the top ropes then a dirt nap probable

and of course the 22 suppressed

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    jonnl good question... the sap is a good closer but I'm also a fan of axe handles for distance, deep freeze OC/CS mix good to warm up the party (no pun), throwing stars just to F with their world, nunchuks to make me look crazy, I wish I had a tazer but I'd probably zap most people I run into, the sap behind the ear is a guranteed pitstop to the ER unless you come off the top ropes then a dirt nap probable

and of course the 22 suppressed

I've gotta pick me up some throwing stars!

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    I have mine right here in front of me and it's for five.

Depends when you acquired/renewed your CCW. Your renewal will be good for 7 years, unless there is another change. I think the 7 years was a change just last year, like late spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom