• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Can someone clear me up on this please. My buddy and I are going to take a class in september and now after reading certain things my buddy is now not too sure and may want to back out.

Is this permit really worth getting? I mainly travel to all the touching states and north carolina as does my friend. He was reading that people get them but have a problem getting it renewed. Does anyone have experience with this or know if this has any truth? He also told me hes not sure because if you do need to protect yourself in a state that honors the permit they could always nail you if they really wanted to.

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If the reason you want the permit is to carry a firearm in the States borderiing Maryland then it is worth having. As a Maryland resident you will have no problem renewing.

The people that are having problems are residents of States that accept the UT permit. Utah changed the law last year to make those permit holders apply for their home state permit before they could renew or apply for a UT permit.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    It is well worth getting is you travel outside of MD. The only people who may have trouble renewing are folks in states that have reciprocity with Utah. As of last year, residents in those states will have to have their home states permits in order to renew. That does not and I can't foresee that EVER affecting MD residents. Go for the class.

Bryan

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    From the Utah CCW home page:
    Renew a Concealed Firearm Permit

WHEN

The Utah concealed firearm permit is valid for a period of five years. The Bureau of Criminal Identification will send a renewal application to you approximately one month prior to your expiration.

*Make sure to let us know if you move so we can update our records. If you do not, you may not receive the reminder notice to renew.

HOW

Complete the renewal application form and return it to the Bureau of Criminal Identification with your check, money order, or credit card information. (Form requires Adobe Reader. To download the FREE Adobe Reader, click here.)

Utah Department of Public Safety
    Bureau of Criminal Identification
    3888 West 5400 South
    Salt Lake City, UT 84129

* Of course you may also turn submit application in person as well

WHAT MUST ACCOMPANY THE APPLICATION?
    The cost of renewal is $15.00. This may be paid by check, money order, or credit card. We recommend you do not send cash in the mail.
    Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at the Bureau of Criminal Identification.

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your renewal application. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you use a firearm to shoot someone in self defense or not, your life WILL change. A permit to carry is NOT a permit to shoot people.
    If you kill someone over a parking space at the mall you will go to jail.

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    If you use a firearm to shoot someone in self defense or not, your life WILL change. A permit to carry is NOT a permit to shoot people.
    If you kill someone over a parking space at the mall you will go to jail.

LOL, i had to laugh when i read that. I understand, but a permit to carry is for your protection. If you use it out of defense my buddy is worried about the "writen agreements" with other states with it. Even if you use it for what the whole purpose to carry is, he thinks they still will try and nail you.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If the reason you want the permit is to carry a firearm in the States borderiing Maryland then it is worth having. As a Maryland resident you will have no problem renewing.

The people that are having problems are residents of States that accept the UT permit. Utah changed the law last year to make those permit holders apply for their home state permit before they could renew or apply for a UT permit.

This is the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom