• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Ok I am in the early stages of choosing an upper. I am looking at either a pinned 14.5" carbine or 16" carbine.

YHM, BCM and Stag are the front runners....any one better than the other??

Also...any real benefit to Carbine vs mid length or 14.5 vs 16 in accuracy??

Thanks for any input from the AR experts.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    If is mil-spec they should be about the same. Stag I believe is not a mid-spec upper but I've never had one. Yhm and bcm have worked well for me.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    In order of quality, from my limited experience.

BCM, Stag, Yankee Hill (no formal experience with their complete rifles/uppers).

Generally, 14.5" runs a carbine-length gas-system. Reason for that is the old standby line of thinking - which is you want 5" of barrel length past the gas-port for optimimum reliability. That's not an absolute though, since the size of the gas-port can be tweaked to provide the needed gas pressure to enhance reliability.

That said, I'm liking the 16" Mid-length. Flash-hider isn't pinned/welded, so you can reconfigure at a later date if you so choose. And it's just a smooth shooter. I reload, and one thing I've noticed is the middy seems to be easier on the brass - always a good thing, IMO.

If your looking for as short as possible w/out SBR'ing it, then yeah a 14.5" ( when it's pinned/welded, should put you at 16.1" barrel length). If another 2 inches isn't a concern, then the 16".

Accuracy wise, I haven't noticed a marked difference between carbine-length or mid-length. And your only giving up like 200fps with a 14.5" vs. a 16".

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll add one thing (maybe two) to my previous post.

In the years past, before Stag raised their prices, I'd recommend them all day long and twice on sunday. The lifetime warranty was nice to have too.

Since the prices have come up though, for not much more your in a BCM upper. And while Stag makes a great product, for the nearly comparable prices, I'd give BCM the nod first.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks...your thinking on the 16" makes sense. No love for Yankee Hill Machine...they have some cool looking uppers...but they are a little more??

The ability to change items out at a further date means 14.5 is out since this is my only lower.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks...your thinking on the 16" makes sense. No love for Yankee Hill Machine...they have some cool looking uppers...but they are a little more??

The ability to change items out at a further date means 14.5 is out since this is my only lower.

I listed them 3rd only because I haven't had my hands on one of their complete uppers. They could be great, they could be mediocre - I couldn't say myself.

Do have personal experience with BCM and Stag though, and neither one is going to do you wrong. But if the prices are close enough, then BCM without hesitation.

I'll go Stag first time around if I want to do another left-handed eject build.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    In order of quality, from my limited experience.

BCM, Stag, Yankee Hill (no formal experience with their complete rifles/uppers).

Generally, 14.5" runs a carbine-length gas-system. Reason for that is the old standby line of thinking - which is you want 5" of barrel length past the gas-port for optimimum reliability. That's not an absolute though, since the size of the gas-port can be tweaked to provide the needed gas pressure to enhance reliability.

That said, I'm liking the 16" Mid-length. Flash-hider isn't pinned/welded, so you can reconfigure at a later date if you so choose. And it's just a smooth shooter. I reload, and one thing I've noticed is the middy seems to be easier on the brass - always a good thing, IMO.

If your looking for as short as possible w/out SBR'ing it, then yeah a 14.5" ( when it's pinned/welded, should put you at 16.1" barrel length). If another 2 inches isn't a concern, then the 16".

Accuracy wise, I haven't noticed a marked difference between carbine-length or mid-length. And your only giving up like 200fps with a 14.5" vs. a 16".
    My new build is a 16" middy and it does feel a bit softer than a carbine. BCM would be my pick from those three.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    View attachment 96451

Built this one a few weeks back. 16" Mid-length BCM barrel, Noveske Gen II lower, numerous other good parts.

Fast becoming my favorite 5.56 Upper in current inventory.

Last edited:

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    I would keep it local. Precision Firearms built 3 for me, and they are tack drivers for not much more $$ than what is being discussed above. Mark can build you whatever you want. Great guy too.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Just looked the at the site...looks very nice! Looking for something like the Orcuss VI...very nice with the Troy hand guard!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, Stag and YHM are about the same quality. BCM is a bit better, but I'd probably concentrate on finding the upper configuration I wanted most of all.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Stag and YHM are probably on the same level. BCM is on a different level.

BCM is usually regarded as one of the best in the industry. They've built their reputation on doing nothing but putting their name on high quality parts.

Not that there is anything wrong with the other two. It's just that they aren't on BCM's level.

Marksman

Stag and YHM are probably on the same level. BCM is on a different level.

BCM is usually regarded as one of the best in the industry. They've built their reputation on doing nothing but putting their name on high quality parts.

Not that there is anything wrong with the other two. It's just that they aren't on BCM's level.

Noveske is better than any of them.

If you are looking for top-of-the-line, it doesn't get any higher than Noveske.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Noveske is better than any of them.

Yup, it also costs twice as much. I like to call Noveske and Larue (Boutique brands). Those rifles are reserved for those who feel as if they always need the best and most expensive.

For those who want a solid rifle that will last 2 lifetimes and take you to hell and back without having to donate a kidney to fund the purchase, there is BCM and DD.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yup, it also costs twice as much. I like to call Noveske and Larue (Boutique brands). Those rifles are reserved for those who feel as if they always need the best and most expensive.

For those who want a solid rifle that will last 2 lifetimes and take you to hell and back without having to donate a kidney to fund the purchase, there is BCM and DD.

Boutique Brands?

Hardly boutique when you look at the lead times for either. For those that are willing to wait and pay the cost, there is no doubt about what you're getting and what it's capable of.

For 90% of the shooters out there, BCM and DD are going to be more than sufficient for their needs. For the other 10%, you go for the Halo brands, LaRue, Noveske, Knights Armament, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom