Universal Decapping Dies for 223, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Pretty much any universal decapping die with replaceable decapping pins will work. I have a Lyman because that's what was in stock at the store, works just fine.

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    I have a Hornady, but as Bolts Rock said.....I was in stock. Don't get hung up on the brand for this. It is a pin that will punch a primer.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I run a lee universal, be careful when decamping 5.56 with a IK headstamp...the pin is a little tight in the flashhole but it works fine as long as you take your time (that's what she said...lol)

In all seriousness buy an extra pin or two when you order whatever die you decide on and you'll be fine, I've decapped thousands and thousands of many different caliber rounds and haven't broke one yet, I'm about due I guess...

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Yet another for the Lee. Had an RCBS and got tired of replacing broken pins. Lee pin merely pushes out through the top. Slide back down, re-tighten and your off again.

kingstrider

Dec 10, 2011
    I have several but the Lee is by far the strongest of any of them. That said, the pins are not indestructable as others claim. Run enough mil-spec brass and you'll find the pins can and do break so you should have extras on hand.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    I have several but the Lee is by far the strongest of any of them. That said, the pins are not indestructable as others claim. Run enough mil-spec brass and you'll find the pins can and do break so you should have extras on hand.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I just received my re supply of decapping pins as I broke two on Berdan primed 9MM. I was just trucking along and SNAP! Broke not one but two pins in my LEE universal decapping die - we firemen ain't too bright - but I did score two extra on the police test... That's how we get hired!

I can't stress enough, having a few extra decapping pins and tips... They'll save you so much headache!

Cheers,

Doc

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are breaking a Lee Universal Decapper, you have screwed the nut at the top on too tightly. It squeezes a collet, and should be tight enough to decap, but loose enough to allow the rod to slid, even with Berdan primed cases.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I use the Lee as well. I file a chamfer on the end of the decapping pins before I install them to help ones with offset flashole GFH are horible(I scrap them now)

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Just received 4 new pins...

So I'll try to tighten the collet to a tension tight enough to decap, but still loose enough to release if I meet resistance.

Anyone have an easy way to do this? Like a 1/4 turn past snug? The instructions don't make mention of this at all...

Cheers,

Doc

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I've broke 5 in the last month, now I'm inspecting really good, and stopping if it feels different.

I'll try loosening it up as well on the universal, but that did not work on the regular die that sizes, decaps, and expands. It would pull the pin down if not tight enough.

null_zpsa1889fe3.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) For the Lee, tighten a bit and try it. If it moves under normal decapping, tighten a bit more. Just tight enough to not move under normal use.

2) You broke 5 LEE UNIVERSAL decapping pins? That takes WORK.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Berdan primers did me in. I had some crimped primers that required a little extra effort, but the hidden berdan primers broke my pins.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Lee universal for me. I like to de-cap my brass and then tumble with SST media. Gets everything nice and clean. If you use the dies, you have to fl size, and that can be a pain to just get 1k brass ready for cleaning.
    OB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom