• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Are there any resources for understanding what the number under "shot" means?

I know that indoor ranges tend to only allow "0 or 00" buckshot.

I bought some 7 1/2 shot today at Walmart.

What do these numbers mean? Is it the size of the pellet, the amount of powder?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It is the size of the pellet. Basically, the higher the number, be smaller the pellets. 7 1/2 and 8 are what I use for trap shooting. These generally come in a box of 25.

Buckshot, for example, has larger and less pellets. 00 buckshot is either 9 or 15 .32 caliber pellets in each shell. Magnum Buckshot are three inch shells that pack quite a wallop.

Buckshot most commonly is sold in packs of 5 shells.

If a range allows buckshot, 7 1/2 shot will not be able to be used.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

What are you going to do with it? Shells are like hammers, right tool for the right job, they all have their place. 7 1/2 is good for paper, clays, dove, quail and maybe even rabbit at close range. LOTS of pellets if you open it up, you probably have 1 oz of em if it's a 12 ga and about 3 drams of powder equivalent. My preferred "all round" is 6 shot, good compromise but that my personal opinion.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    BlackBart is right....know exactly what you want to do, and choose your shot accordingly.

I trap shoot...the place I shoot does not allow anything larger than 7 1/2.

For home defense, I use a Remington Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil 00 Buck.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Reloading manuals will give you the shot size diameters and the number of pellets per ounce.
    This is because smaller shot chews up the targets backers at typical indoor range distances, while the larger buckshot sizes leave separated holes like a rifle bullet.

For a quick rule of thumb for standard "American" sizes, you would subtract the shot size number for .170" to get the diameter of the pellet.

Your #7-1/2 shot would be .095".

Here is a chart:
    http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

The other numbers on the box would be:
    1) gauge
    2) shell length

Then, because shotshells were originally based on blackpowder loadings, you'll often see this: "3 - 1-1/8 - 7-1/2"

The first number is how many drams of blackpowder would have been needed to deliver the velocity these shells deliver, in this case three drams.

The second number is the shot payload weight in ounces and fractions.

The third number is the shot size.

Many modern shotshells are now being marked with actual velocity in lieu of blackpowder equivalent.

Some manufacturers and reloading manuals attempt to provide a guide correlating the various shot sizes to the intended purpose. This works OK for clay bird games, but due to a wide variety of hunting conditions, such as shot material, gun choke and shooting distances, this can only be an approximation and one will sometimes want to go up or down a size to suit the situation.

This is from Chuck Hawks' site:
    Target Shooting Games (lead shot)

* 16 yard Trap - 8, 8 1/2
    * Handicap Trap - 7 1/2, 8
    * Skeet - 9
    * Sporting Clays - 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2
    * Live Pigeon - 7 1/2

Upland Game (lead or tungsten alloy shot)

* Turkey - 4, 5, 6
    * Pheasant - 5
    * Chukker, Grouse, and Partridge - 6, 7 1/2
    * Quail - 7 1/2, 8
    * Dove - 7 1/2
    * Rail, Snipe and Woodcock - 7 1/2, 8
    * Rabbit - 6, 7 1/2
    * Squirrel - 6

Waterfowl (steel shot)

* Geese - BBB, BB, 1
    * Ducks (over decoys) - 2, 3, 4
    * Ducks (pass shooting) - BB, 1, 2

Waterfowl (tungsten alloy shot, Hevi-shot)

* Geese - BB, 2
    * Ducks (over decoys) - 4, 5, 6
    * Ducks (pass shooting) - 2, 4
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/shot_info.htm

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Payload weight and speed will put you in the ballpark as to dram equiv. I know of no manufacturers who do not mark the boxes and/or shells with either dram or weight & speed or all of these measures.

As to the Walmart stuff.... most of it is 3 X 1 1/8, which recoils a lot more than needed for most targets. I would find some Remington Gun Club 1oz loads. They are about 1180fps, or 2 3/4 dram.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I just wanted to do some target shooting, maybe shoot some clays. I don't know how expensive it is to shoot clays though.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I just wanted to do some target shooting, maybe shoot some clays. I don't know how expensive it is to shoot clays though.

I go to Loch Raven and shoot clays. The cost is 7.00 per round. All you do is bring your gun and ammo.

I just started recently. If you are in the Baltimore Area, you are welcome to join me.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

Many different types of clays. If you end up shooting trap you will want a Mod and full choke. IMO, skeet is the best to start out doing. Once you do a little skeet you can try trap and what is really fun is sporting clays. Get a few friends together for sporting clays and you will have a blast.
    Check out Oxford gun club, they are open for sporting clays on the 2nd n 4th sunday each month. Cheap too.
    I am going to put a post up about getting some guys together for sporting clays.
    the wally world ammo is fine. I have found that the Winchester will not cycle some auto's though so you may want to stick with the Feds or Rems. Rems seem to be cleaner.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Def, I would be interested in going. Got to check out the old gun make sure it fires.

It only has a bead front sight though, is that ok?

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    The best place to go for one stop shopping for all of the different clay target games would be the Prince Georges County Trap & Skeet Center. It's open 7 days a week. There you can shoot Trap, International Trap (Bunker), Skeet, International Skeet, 5-Stand and Sporting Clays. The least expensive to shoot os Trap or Skeet at about $5. Sporting is $20 for 50 targets. You can also buy shells, guns and other gear right there. You can rent different guns as well.

If any new shooters would like an intro to any of the specific games, I would be glad to help out and get you started on the right foot at PG.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    looks like the PG area is getting good interest. Unfortunatly PG is way to far for me. I suggest one of you guys put a shoot together at pg and I'll keep trying for one at Oxford. The one in carroll county seems real nice but they only have open shoots once a month. Anyway, I cant wait to get some guys together for a sporting clay shoot. If you have never done this before its a blast. No need to be experienced, its that fun and you will get the hang of it.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I haven't been out for a while, I'm down for evening games at PG once I get my transportation worked out... you guys wouldn't know anyone selling a good car for cheap would you?

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    We can put together something at anytime at PG, but let's wait for the weather to cool off and let's get dove season behind us. I tried doing this before, but the whole thing fizzled out. If you guys come up with a date and time toward late Sept or early Oct, I'll be there and I'll help instruct for anyone who wants it.

That said, there is also a great league coming up at PG called the Red Duck League. They shoot every Tuesday starting in the late afternoon for ten weeks. You shoot something different almost every week. If you miss a week, you can make it up during the week or on the following Tuesday. It's not a competitive league, only a fun league designed to introduce folks to the different games. The cost is $140 up front. That includes all your targets (50 per week), a barbeque the first night, a dinner on the last night, numerous door prizes and a gun given away by drawing. This is a bargain as leagues go.

Deapsee

NaN
    May 1, 2009
    Calvert
    Cars

I haven't been out for a while, I'm down for evening games at PG once I get my transportation worked out... you guys wouldn't know anyone selling a good car for cheap would you?

Try craigslist. I've been looking for a pickup 1-2k range there. Already bought a 96 subaru outback for 3k found through craigslist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom