• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    I'll be picking up a Savage flp 308 next friday and was wondering if any of ya'll used Ultramax ammo before?If ya did what did you think,wanna use it for barrel break in.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'll be picking up a Savage flp 308 next friday and was wondering if any of ya'll used Ultramax ammo before?If ya did what did you think,wanna use it for barrel break in.

I ran a couple of boxes of .223 a few years ago. It was DIRTY.....like disgustingly dirty.

I can't say much about the accuracy except that it didn't seem any better or worse than the Win White Box at 100 yards.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    very dirty, don't tarnish your barrell with it. When I got mine I used remington core-lokt, WWB, winchester hunting ammo, and at the end of the day after alot of cleaning, I put 40 rounds of FGMM 168gr. bthp, and put 5 rounds into a quarter at 200 yards. Treat it well and it'll return the favor.

Consider a membership at www.savageshooters.com and see what others with the same rifle shoot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Ultramax is filthy junk, it isn't any more accurate than decent surplus, privi/Wolf Gold is a better bet for el-cheapo ammo. I ran 60 rds of WWB through my 10FP, cleaned the crap out of it, then 100rds of molycoated Hornady. For the best accuracy, they love 168 or 175gr Fed gold medal match, or in my case 168gr SMK over 45.5gr of varget in neck-sized brass, good for at least consistent groups under 2" at 200yds, and sometimes a few 5 shot groups around an inch.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Supposedly the quality of it has increased across the board recently. From what I have seen, this at least holds true for pistol ammo which isn't nearly as dirty as it was before. If you are looking for cheap .308 but want brass casings, I'de also look at Magtech and PMC which are considerably cleaner. You can also find Lake City surplus floating around for a *reasonable price.

*Note: reasonable as in as reasonable as the current market can be

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom