• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    @Nemesis...I don't work for Robinson Arms, nor do I get any money from them. I love this gun & many people don't know about it. Thorough, yes.

:thumbsup: never any issues bud, was just pointing out a shameless plug with a bit of sarcasm for humor.

the XCR is a damn fine rifle, i must admit.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    attachment.php

Not to mention the fact that the S must have Reallllllly hit the fan if you're taking 300 yard shots.

ICPrice

May 15, 2010
    Eastern Shore
    I love the Mini 14! Mine is below (i did add all the crazy stuff).

Nice rifle. I'm thinking about picking one up in the near future.

...and don't feel ashamed, my wife picks out our bed sheets as well, and I can't stand it. But, as a compromise, she leaves my guns the hell alone. !.

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    The Mini-14 looks to be a good choice, but seems the likes v dislikes are all over the place. Are they not reliable? Finicky?
    I don't think you have the mag options like AR's have, but otherwise a fine and inexpensive rifle. Reliable and accurate for what you need it to do. It won't know a knat off of a flie's butt, but who needs that? I would take one in a heartbeat.

very good SHTF weapon.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    The Mini-14 looks to be a good choice, but seems the likes v dislikes are all over the place. Are they not reliable? Finicky?

I think because they aren't 1000 yard capable, where AR-15's are easily capable of that. Hell, I shoot squirrels in the left eyeball at 500 yards all the time with my AR, a Mini-14 can't do that.

<--That's the opinion you'll get from a couple gun forums. I think the real reason they aren't popular is that there are many more aftermarket products for the AR.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD

I think because they aren't 1000 yard capable, where AR-15's are easily capable of that. Hell, I shoot squirrels in the left eyeball at 500 yards all the time with my AR, a Mini-14 can't do that.

<--That's the opinion you'll get from a couple gun forums. I think the real reason they aren't popular is that there are many more aftermarket products for the AR.

The early versions of the Mini-14 and Mini-30 had problems with stringing after a few shots because the barrels are thin. The 580 and later series have the thicker tapered barrels that minimize stringing and shoot tighter groups. With my 581 series Mini-14 and the right ammo and if I do my part, my groups run between 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards. This is after I added the barrel strut and flash hider. With a little more practice, I think I can get the groups to less than an inch.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    my saiga. converted to take standard ak47 mags. eotech w/magnifier.

i know no matter what, it will fire. if the magnifier breaks, remove. if the eotech breaks, remove quick detach optics rail. no matter what, i'll be good. possibly a flashlight on the side of the optics mount but i may need handgaurd rails...light that far back could be issue

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I am thinking if I have to move, suppressed folding stock AKM in 5.45x39, or better yet 5.56. Light weight full power ammo, selective fire just in case, and unmatched durability. As a side arm, an integrally suppressed Ruger MK3 to take small game and such. If I am staying put, there will be several belt fed guns in strategic places.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    I am thinking if I have to move, suppressed folding stock AKM in 5.45x39, or better yet 5.56. Light weight full power ammo, selective fire just in case, and unmatched durability. As a side arm, an integrally suppressed Ruger MK3 to take small game and such. If I am staying put, there will be several belt fed guns in strategic places.

good thinking. 556 will probably be the easiest/cheapest ammo to find, is light and with impressive kick.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I might have commented already (too lazy to look) but forget the rifle, I say the thing you need most is a handgun when SHTF.

For the rifle, I will take a Bravo Company AR-15 14.5" barrel with an EoTech.

stricer555

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Jessup
    I've given this a little thought and figured I would go with weapons that use the most common ammo types, which to me seem would be .308, 5.56, 22lr, 9mm, and 12ga. Of course an AR would be on the list for shear parts availability and interchangeability. The next guns I plan to purchase are a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and a Ruger 10/22(not sure on model) which would fit the other roles. Haven't given the 9mm or 12ga much thought yet but that's because I'm not in the market for any yet, have to see when we get there. I don't plan on backpacking all over America if stuff were to go down so I'm not really seeing weight as an issue, just what I could find in ammo and parts trades.

Really surprised nobodies bought up a bow in here yet, nearly silent, reusable, and deadly if I did have to go hunting I'd rather try and waste a arrow that I could probably retrieve than a bullet that's gone forever, not that I wouldn't have a firearm backup with me.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I've given this a little thought and figured I would go with weapons that use the most common ammo types, which to me seem would be .308, 5.56, 22lr, 9mm, and 12ga. Of course an AR would be on the list for shear parts availability and interchangeability. The next guns I plan to purchase are a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and a Ruger 10/22(not sure on model) which would fit the other roles. Haven't given the 9mm or 12ga much thought yet but that's because I'm not in the market for any yet, have to see when we get there. I don't plan on backpacking all over America if stuff were to go down so I'm not really seeing weight as an issue, just what I could find in ammo and parts trades.

Really surprised nobodies bought up a bow in here yet, nearly silent, reusable, and deadly if I did have to go hunting I'd rather try and waste a arrow that I could probably retrieve than a bullet that's gone forever, not that I wouldn't have a firearm backup with me.

A few things to think about with a bow. One is size, as most bows are as big as a small carbine. Arrows from compound bows get damaged frequently when hunting, and more often lost. If you have a compound bow you won't be able to craft arrows that can handle the strain the high power bow. If you want to stock pile arrows and broad heads, that is fine. Keep in mind you can buy and carry alot off 22 ammo instead, for the same cost. A suppressed 22 pistol can do what a bow can do. Now, if you are in a long term situation, I can see building a bow and arrows.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Really surprised nobodies bought up a bow in here yet.

see thread title: "ultimate SHTF rifle"

--
    anywho...

how longs the SHTF scenario last?

if its just a temporary thing then your loaded ARs will do the trick

BUT, if its ongoing you gotta remember the more complex it is the more things there are to break down. bolt actions much more simple than semis.

how much cleaning and care does an AR need to function? are cleaning supplies available?

iron sights are a must. what happens when your optics break and/or your batteries run out?

does the simplicity of a bolt gun outweigh its failure to be able to lay down any suppressive fire? idk.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    what about lever actions?

i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a .45-70...its unassuming, more than powerful enough for just about anything, lightweight, accurate, reliable, easy to load and carry ammo.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I were stuck with a lever gun, I'd rather have one in a pistol caliber. My Win 94 in .45 Colt matches my spiffy Ruger Blackhawk and since I'm a reloader I can go up and down the power scale as I see fit. The one problem with lever guns is they're as complex as a semi-auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom