• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    So I was scrounging through my grandparents basement and found 3 type 99's. 1 of which was relatively simple to ID. The other 2, however, have me clueless.

The first one has a smooth bore and a bubba'd stock. (No worthwhile images taken of the stock). The bolt was significantly different then the other two as well. The story on this one was that my great uncle cut it down and used it as a deer rifle...

Type 99 single hole.jpg
    Looks like no mum was ever there, nor any writing

Reciever SN.jpg
    No arsenal or inspector marks

IMG_0656.jpg
    Poorly made sight.

The second rifle is immaculate. It had a matching bayo with a number 7 etched in the bayo handle.
    LH Side.jpg

Bayo SN.jpg
    Bayonet marking (only one)

IMG_0668.jpg
    Type 99 single hole, not sure what writing means though?

IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    Markings inside of stock

Receiver SN.jpg
    Only SN on the gun

So are these trainers or just rifles with shot out barrels?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Yep looks like you've found some trainers! The vast majority of this type were smooth bore and lacked markings other than serial numbers, and some did not even have that. The Japanese kanji on the receiver of the second rifle in front of the gas vent hole translate to "Shibata Type", hence the designation of that one is a Shibata trainer. The bayonet also looks to be a trainer based on the construction...I'm guessing it doesn't have much of an edge on it and probably does not have any arsenal markings on the blade. Looks like the second rifle is in great shape! Just don't try to shoot them with anything other than blanks!!

Edit to add: looks like the three characters marked close together the inside of the handguard match the serial number "5 7 1"

Last edited:

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Yep looks like you've found some trainers! The vast majority of this type were smooth bore and lacked markings other than serial numbers, and some did not even have that. The Japanese kanji on the receiver of the second rifle in front of the gas vent hole translate to "Shibata Type", hence the designation of that one is a Shibata trainer. The bayonet also looks to be a trainer based on the construction...I'm guessing it doesn't have much of an edge on it and probably does not have any arsenal markings on the blade. Looks like the second rifle is in great shape! Just don't try to shoot them with anything other than blanks!!

Edit to add: looks like the three characters marked close together the inside of the handguard match the serial number "5 7 1"

You're right, no edge nor any arsenal markings on the bayonet which is why it led me to the conclusion that it had to be a trainer.

Any reason to not fix up the other trainer? Right now it's just the barrel and receiver with a few metal parts.

Last edited:

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Was the third rifle you found a trainer as well or a service rifle? Post some pics!

It was a Series 1 service rifle. Has the AA sights, but the monopod is missing. It's currently being hunted for in the basement.

I'll post some pictures of it tonight

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    You're right, no edge nor any arsenal markings on the bayonet which is why it led me to the conclusion that it had to be a trainer.

Any reason to not fix up the other trainer? Right now it's just the barrel and receiver with a few metal parts.

May me more hassle than it's worth (both time and $), in general the trainers don't tend to bring the value of the service rifles. In addition you would probably be looking at a lot of fitting with a new stock and it would probably end up costing more than the gun is worth to buy the parts (plus a fair number of trainers are actually 7/8th size which means you may have to track down another trainer stock). Ultimately your decision though and good luck if you try to get it back to an original state! Look forward to seeing the series 1... Is it matching?

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    May me more hassle than it's worth (both time and $), in general the trainers don't tend to bring the value of the service rifles. In addition you would probably be looking at a lot of fitting with a new stock and it would probably end up costing more than the gun is worth to buy the parts (plus a fair number of trainers are actually 7/8th size which means you may have to track down another trainer stock). Ultimately your decision though and good luck if you try to get it back to an original state! Look forward to seeing the series 1... Is it matching?

I think its full length, it's longer than my Series 1 by several inches... I'm torn on it, it's been in my family since it was grabbed off a pile; however it's in horrible shape and is currently a barrel and receiver only!

Ask and you shall receiver on the 3rd rifle. The bolt SN is hard to see but it matches. No monopod or dust cover though :sad20:

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Band SN.jpg

Bolt SN.jpg

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very nice looking T99! Definitely a big plus that's it's all matching...you have some keepers! Can't tell in the first photo, does it have the standard rear sling swivel or the large oval cavalry style? Some early Nagoyas (through series 2 i believe) have the cavalry ring and it's a neat variation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom