• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    After observing the left's behavior at colleges, I am not sure I believe their fear of guns is so irrational.

I believe their fear is rational. I believe their passion for being a social justice warrior is so extreme that given the chance, they would shoot someone for disagreeing with them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have mixed emotions about this issue. I taught college classes for nearly 35 years, and we had some spirited discussions on controversial topics. I had one student stand up and say "How dare you insult my President" when I deprecated something that Clinton had done. Another time, after one of the Southern State Educational systems officially rounded Pi to 3.2 and I commented that they were idiots and that there must be no circles in that state, a student got upset. I know of a student who I flunked that may well have shot me if he could have. I challenged students knowledge and beliefs many times. It's part of the Socratic method of teaching.
    Anyway, I would definitely have some unease if a pack of students to whom I was lecturing were carrying. It would force me to carry also. And I don't think that this is a good condition for advanced education.

Glad I'm retired.

Thanks for your perspective. Like you, I am not sure whether campus carry is a good idea.

I have two further concerns with this:
    - A 21 year old has not had much of an opportunity to establish a track record of maturity and temperament. Very few sources of information to gauge whether this particular student is going to be responsible.
    - Many psych diseases manifest themselves in the age range when people are in college. It is difficult enough to deal with a psychotic student as is, dealing with a armed psychotic student is a potential disaster.

I have less concerns with a 26 year old who has held a CCW for 5 years than I have with a 21 year old carrying in the classroom.
    :sad20:

I wonder what you 2 would say if they tried to prevent 18 year old U.S. Citizens from voting, driving, signing contracts, joining the Military, getting married, having children, getting abortions, and use pot in states where it is legal.

After all they cant be trusted to make these serious decisions.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I have mixed emotions about this issue. I taught college classes for nearly 35 years, and we had some spirited discussions on controversial topics. I had one student stand up and say "How dare you insult my President" when I deprecated something that Clinton had done. Another time, after one of the Southern State Educational systems officially rounded Pi to 3.2 and I commented that they were idiots and that there must be no circles in that state, a student got upset. I know of a student who I flunked that may well have shot me if he could have. I challenged students knowledge and beliefs many times. It's part of the Socratic method of teaching.
    Anyway, I would definitely have some unease if a pack of students to whom I was lecturing were carrying. It would force me to carry also. And I don't think that this is a good condition for advanced education.

Glad I'm retired.

How do you know you've never argued with an armed hothead in class? He may have simply decided today wasn't the day.

No law prevents a determined individual from concealing a weapon.

You don't have to be armed, but the knowledge you and many others in the room may be similarly armed might cause him to think twice.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    How do you know you've never argued with an armed hothead in class? He may have simply decided today wasn't the day.

No law prevents a determined individual from concealing a weapon.

You don't have to be armed, but the knowledge you and many others in the room may be similarly armed might cause him to think twice.

Yeah, I think this argument tips the scale.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

I wonder what you 2 would say if they tried to prevent 18 year old U.S. Citizens from voting, driving, signing contracts, joining the Military, getting married, having children, getting abortions, and use pot in states where it is legal.

I like your reasoning. (Not sarcasm.)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    This type of irrational fear of your fellow man is the basis of the progressive protectionist culture trying so hard to violate our rights. Surely as a gun owner yourself, you understand that the presence of a gun does not turn people into murderers.

"Guns make good people do bad things"

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

I would say: they shouldn't do that either. Voting rights should be contingent on submitting 5 tax returns with an AGI that exceeds your food stamps. Look at who 18 year olds voted into the whitehouse and who staffs Bernie Sanders rallies? Count how many marriages between 18 year old last beyond 3 years.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Acording to this guy, a ccw violates the 1st amendment? What?

What better reason for him to resign than personal issues with mental capacity. Something is seriously wrong with his head for him to think it makes a school safer when the only people armed are violent criminals looking for easy targets. He openly invites a repeat of Columbine, Newtown, and Virginia Tech, which makes him a major danger to student safety in my book.

Ghostrider1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2009
    The PGC
    Utah has had campus carry for years. I've yet to hear of any gunfights in lecture halls out there. Why would Texas be any different?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So how many students with carry permits have threatened staff or other students during or following debate in the classroom in the states where campus carry is permitted?

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I would say: they shouldn't do that either. Voting rights should be contingent on submitting 5 tax returns with an AGI that exceeds your food stamps. Look at who 18 year olds voted into the whitehouse and who staffs Bernie Sanders rallies? Count how many marriages between 18 year old last beyond 3 years.

I know a lot of 30-40-50+-somethings in Montgomery, Howard, AA, and Baltimore Counties who voted, and vote, liberal democrat and I know many in those same age brackets who are working on their second, third, and even fourth marriages. Don't lay the liberal political disaster solely at the feet of 18 year olds - they don't have the money to get someone elected to office.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Amazes me how all these folks think that the CCW owners will suddenly change their behaviour because they are on a Campus. They carry off campus currently and haven't had any issues, why would things change on Campus ?

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    2qn37lt.jpg

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    He's moving from one CCW state to another, seems like his protest is pretty lame. He should move to some college where's there's no chance of CC, like in the middle of Balmer.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Glad I'm retired.

Don't people engage in passionate debates, stressful situations, and controversial decisions 24/7, in all walks of life, all corners of the country?

Nah, college campuses are different, right? Not. It's only because that's where young minds are indoctrinated and their beliefs formed. The Marxists want to train them while they're young.

The same argument against guns on campus can be used to ban them everywhere. An armed society is a polite society. Our nation's founders debated the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights in their draft forms without turning it into a bloodbath, and they were armed to the teeth if they so chose.

And citing your own experiences, I'm sure that if everyone had been armed at the time that the situations might have been handled differently by all, if everyone had known each other was armed.

People seem to agree that our society has grown rude and coarse. Maybe in part because they've grown accustomed to a lack of consequences if they behave that way. Maybe people will be more civil if they know that it's in their best interests. Edit to add: Maybe in part it's also the Alinskyites who promote change through encouragement of emotion-driven, irrational tactics instead of rational, reasoned debate. Perhaps firearm possession is incompatible with hot-headed radicals who see everything as might-is-right and don't like the idea of the opposition being armed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom