Westminster USA

Attachments

• curly.jpg
      curly.jpg
      6.3 KB · Views: 758

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Tellya what...

How about students and faculty remember that "concealed means concealed", and it should be a non-issue for properly licensed (and preferably trained) individuals.

Wife wondered out loud, "Well, how many will actually carry?"

I reminded her, "If done properly, we'll hopefully never find out."

I'm waiting for Univ. Pres. Dipstick to start installing metal detectors.......

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have mixed emotions about this issue. I taught college classes for nearly 35 years, and we had some spirited discussions on controversial topics. I had one student stand up and say "How dare you insult my President" when I deprecated something that Clinton had done. Another time, after one of the Southern State Educational systems officially rounded Pi to 3.2 and I commented that they were idiots and that there must be no circles in that state, a student got upset. I know of a student who I flunked that may well have shot me if he could have. I challenged students knowledge and beliefs many times. It's part of the Socratic method of teaching.
    Anyway, I would definitely have some unease if a pack of students to whom I was lecturing were carrying. It would force me to carry also. And I don't think that this is a good condition for advanced education.

Glad I'm retired.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have mixed emotions about this issue. I taught college classes for nearly 35 years, and we had some spirited discussions on controversial topics. I had one student stand up and say "How dare you insult my President" when I deprecated something that Clinton had done. Another time, after one of the Southern State Educational systems officially rounded Pi to 3.2 and I commented that they were idiots and that there must be no circles in that state, a student got upset. I know of a student who I flunked that may well have shot me if he could have. I challenged students knowledge and beliefs many times. It's part of the Socratic method of teaching.
    Anyway, I would definitely have some unease if a pack of students to whom I was lecturing were carrying. It would force me to carry also. And I don't think that this is a good condition for advanced education.

Glad I'm retired.

I spent 26 years in law enforcement and now I'm a college student. Would it bother you if I was carrying in class?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Glad I'm retired.

Thanks for your perspective. Like you, I am not sure whether campus carry is a good idea.

I have two further concerns with this:
    - A 21 year old has not had much of an opportunity to establish a track record of maturity and temperament. Very few sources of information to gauge whether this particular student is going to be responsible.
    - Many psych diseases manifest themselves in the age range when people are in college. It is difficult enough to deal with a psychotic student as is, dealing with a armed psychotic student is a potential disaster.

I have less concerns with a 26 year old who has held a CCW for 5 years than I have with a 21 year old carrying in the classroom.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I spent 26 years in law enforcement and now I'm a college student. Would it bother you if I was carrying in class?

It wouldn't. I would ask you to carry.

A 21yo who hasn't seen the world beyond his parents basement but mastered all levels in 'call of duty' otoh.....

Just two extremes along that spectrum. Now where to put the line, I don't know.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    It wouldn't. I would ask you to carry.

A 21yo who hasn't seen the world beyond his parents basement but mastered all levels in 'call of duty' otoh.....

Just two extremes along that spectrum. Now where to put the line, I don't know.

Agree. People tend to use the extremes or exceptions when citing examples. It's almost never the known psychotic or the well-trained LEO or military vet that will be the unclear factor but those in the wide spectrum of the middle from the 18 yo mama's boy who's never left home or been told "no" to the 80 yo pleasantly demented old-timer.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    When do we decide that you are an adult? It used to be 18, you were an adult. Now when your 18, you legaly responsable, but your a second class citizen. You can't buy most guns, alcohol, or even rent a car Why 21? Why not 22? 25? How about 26 when you have to get your own helth care?
    As a young person, it is extreamly dishartantaning, especially here, to be told that am not old enough to entitled to my constitutional rights.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo

Glad I'm retired.

This type of irrational fear of your fellow man is the basis of the progressive protectionist culture trying so hard to violate our rights. Surely as a gun owner yourself, you understand that the presence of a gun does not turn people into murderers.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    When do we decide that you are an adult? It used to be 18, you were an adult. Now when your 18, you legaly responsable, but your a second class citizen. You can't buy most guns, alcohol, or even rent a car Why 21? Why not 22? 25? How about 26 when you have to get your own helth care?
    As a young person, it is extreamly dishartantaning, especially here, to be told that am not old enough to entitled to my constitutional rights.

Enlisted at 18. Was in Central America at 20(Assisting the spending of Ollie North's money) Went on leave when I came home and couldn't buy a beer. I understand where your coming from.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    ...well, if I were a professor and CCW was allowed and I encountered a psychotic student wielding a gun, there would likely be 1 less psychotic student in the world...it works both ways

HALO or Call Of Duty is a fine credential for training.....anyway, when I was 21 I had been living in the real world for 4 yrs, and that 21yo you speak of may have spent a couple yrs down range too..just a thought

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This type of irrational fear of your fellow man is the basis of the progressive protectionist culture trying so hard to violate our rights. Surely as a gun owner yourself, you understand that the presence of a gun does not turn people into murderers.

Irrational fear is not based on experience.

His fear is rational.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'd like to see more in academia follow his leadership! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom