• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I put a WTB in gunboards for an FN-49 bayonet. Two guys responded. I got both. I have ONE FN-49. Looks like I'll have to get another rifle :sad20::lol2: I'm thinking one in 30-06.

Slayer2c

Oct 14, 2011
    Bear, De
    Can I ask why without being disrespectful? I just don't get the purpose of the bayonet in todays world. The last time I was out at the range two different guys had them on their rifles and just acted like they were the coolest things ever. Both were shooting paper at distance and I couldn't see the purpose for the bayonet. I mean I was in the Corp and had one then, couldn't quite understand it then either, they taught us that if the bayonet got stuck to pull the trigger. Why am I sticking someone when I got bullets? They also told us that the order to afix bayonets also came right before the realization that your about to die.
    I guess I just don't see the point!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That always happens to me. I express interest in one of something, and end up with two that I cant refuse for some reason (price, condition, scarcity).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Can I ask why without being disrespectful? I just don't get the purpose of the bayonet in todays world. The last time I was out at the range two different guys had them on their rifles and just acted like they were the coolest things ever. Both were shooting paper at distance and I couldn't see the purpose for the bayonet. I mean I was in the Corp and had one then, couldn't quite understand it then either, they taught us that if the bayonet got stuck to pull the trigger. Why am I sticking someone when I got bullets? They also told us that the order to afix bayonets also came right before the realization that your about to die.

http://defensetech.org/2010/01/29/bayonets-hit-the-mark/

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I think it's good to have the accessories to a rifle. Bayonets are the first accessory I get after a sling or spare magazines.
    As for shooting with the bayonet fixed, some rifles are intended to be shot with the bayonet attached. The M44 Mosin Nagant is sighted in to be fired with the bayonet extended not folded. Similarly the Mosin Nagant 91 and 91/30 were intended to be fired with the bayonet attached. The Mk2 "flip" sight for the No4 was sighted so close range, 300 yds, was with the spike bayonet attached. The longer 600 yd range was without the bayonet.
    As for the modern usefulness of a bayonet I agree it's outdated. The origin of the bayonet was to make your single shot muzzle loader a pike.
    If you read some real history of the American Revolutionary War you'll find a lot of bayonet fighting. It wasn't British soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder and the colonials shooting them with rifles from behind trees. That's a myth.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Indeed, the bayonet is largely regarded as 'past' history. HOWEVER, even in our current hotspots the Brits used a bayonet charge to break the back of an attack when they were out of ammo. I collect C&R 'things', I always try to get the correct original or repro accessory items to go with them. Bayonets are just too cool not to have, if you like those kind of things. To each his (or her) own. ;) Just put a ~20" bayo on a M-91 or No1 Mklll and think about that. :innocent0

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert

Slayer,
    do you collect anything? If you do you just answered your own question.
    As far as someone with a bayonet on there rifle at the range it could be as Rickhead said and it could make some owners giddy. :)

Slayer2c

Oct 14, 2011
    Bear, De
    I can totally see the the point of a collector adding to his collection, and would agree that the op has a collectible piece and would want it complete myself.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I can totally see the the point of a collector adding to his collection, and would agree that the op has a collectible piece and would want it complete myself.

I read your original post as a question of the modern use of the bayonet. I think the continued use of the bayonet is mostly tradition. Early triangular bayonets were designed to inflict a wound that didn't heal easily or quickly, but that blade is useless for pretty much anything else. The modern bayonet is useful as a knife as well as a bayonet, which is pretty much it secondary use.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    If it's got a lug, you need the bayonet.

In other words....what's the point in having a bayonet lug if you aren't going to use it???

Yeah maybe they aren't practical, but the sure look cool!

Dave

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If it's got a lug, you need the bayonet.

In other words....what's the point in having a bayonet lug if you aren't going to use it???

Yeah maybe they aren't practical, but the sure look cool!

Dave

This :thumbsup:

For me I collect knives as well as firearms . I have many bayonets that I do not have a rifle for . All the rifles I have that will accept a bayonet I have them for ,it completes the rifle. Under folding bayonets like on the SKS also make great monopods .

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    i think the benifits of having the extra back up that is a bayonet far outweigh the cons...
    you have a knife for doing anything a knife is good for, and you have an extra weapon for close range. I could see it being an asset (however small) in room by room house clearing.
    and what is bad about a baynet? it adds an extra pound or so to the soldiers or marines kit? id say thats not a bad trade off

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom