• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Two questions for those that have more experience with 1911s than me...

First, I went to the range today with my friend who brought his grandfather's 1911 that he carried as a tanker in WWII (yes, I was jealous). It was probably the first time that it had been fired since WWII, but he took it apart and cleaned and lubed it and then had at it. It shot fine, however, every ejected piece of brass had the case mouth dented in. Any ideas about what is causing this and whether or not it is a sign of danger?

IMAG0178.jpg

Secondly, I brought my relatively new Rock Island 1911 (thanks to Dan and co. at Gun Connection). I know its not a WWII 1911, but its my first 1911 and I like it. Besides, not everyone has relatives with guns to hand down...One of my grandfathers was corporal and had no sidearm, and the other was a pilot.

Back on topic...My problem is that the last round of every single magazine hangs up on the case mouth and does not fully seat in the barrel. This happened with all of the three different brands of ammo and the four different magazine brands that I tried. I hear that this is a fairly common problem with the new guns, but it is still getting on my nerves. I have about 400-500 rounds through it now...is this something that will go away as I shoot more, or should I be looking for someone to do some work on it? Who is the best person to do the work?

Thanks for any help...

More details:
    I saw this thread...The gun was cleaned and oiled and I used the original mag, a chip mccormick, a wilson combat, and a cheapo 1911 mag, and yet the problem persisted. I also have an EGW high mag catch. My jams look exactly like the pictures on page 2 of the thread...does that leave me at changing the recoil spring and tuning the extractor like Vhad suggested, or does it need more break in time?

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Two questions for those that have more experience with 1911s than me...

First, I went to the range today with my friend who brought his grandfather's 1911 that he carried as a tanker in WWII (yes, I was jealous). It was probably the first time that it had been fired since WWII, but he took it apart and cleaned and lubed it and then had at it. It shot fine, however, every ejected piece of brass had the case mouth dented in. Any ideas about what is causing this and whether or not it is a sign of danger?

IMAG0178.jpg

Secondly, I brought my relatively new Rock Island 1911 (thanks to Dan and co. at Gun Connection). I know its not a WWII 1911, but its my first 1911 and I like it. Besides, not everyone has relatives with guns to hand down...One of my grandfathers was corporal and had no sidearm, and the other was a pilot.

Back on topic...My problem is that the last round of every single magazine hangs up on the case mouth and does not fully seat in the barrel. This happened with all of the three different brands of ammo and the four different magazine brands that I tried. I hear that this is a fairly common problem with the new guns, but it is still getting on my nerves. I have about 400-500 rounds through it now...is this something that will go away as I shoot more, or should I be looking for someone to do some work on it? Who is the best person to do the work?

Thanks for any help...

More details:
    I saw this thread...The gun was cleaned and oiled and I used the original mag, a chip mccormick, a wilson combat, and a cheapo 1911 mag, and yet the problem persisted. I also have an EGW high mag catch. My jams look exactly like the pictures on page 2 of the thread...does that leave me at changing the recoil spring and tuning the extractor like Vhad suggested, or does it need more break in time?

The case mouth dents are normal for the Vintage 1911. With a non lowered, flared and scalloped slide they will do that. Nothing is wrong but I would DEFINATELY use a new 16-18# recoil spring in it before shooting it more.

A 1911 problem like you describe is hard to correctly diagnose without seeing the gun. If its doing it with different quality mags it could be the Mag Catch to Mag Height, Feed Ramp/Geometry and Barrel/Frame Gap, Slide Stop Countour, Extractor Tension/Contour, Firing Pin Hole/Breach Face, Slide Feed Puher Geometry, ect.....

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    The case mouth dents are normal for the Vintage 1911. With a non lowered, flared and scalloped slide they will do that. Nothing is wrong but I would DEFINATELY use a new 16-18# recoil spring in it before shooting it more.

A 1911 problem like you describe is hard to correctly diagnose without seeing the gun. If its doing it with different quality mags it could be the Mag Catch to Mag Height, Feed Ramp/Geometry and Barrel/Frame Gap, Slide Stop Countour, Extractor Tension/Contour, Firing Pin Hole/Breach Face, Slide Feed Puher Geometry, ect.....

He doesn't reload, so he is just shooting commercially loaded ammo...is there a specific weight spring that would be better for him, or just any 16-18# 1911 government recoil spring?

Are you offering to look at my 1911 :innocent0
    ...I know that you aren't taking any new work, but is there someone that you would recommend to take a look at it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    He doesn't reload, so he is just shooting commercially loaded ammo...is there a specific weight spring that would be better for him, or just any 16-18# 1911 government recoil spring?

Are you offering to look at my 1911 :innocent0
    ...I know that you aren't taking any new work, but is there someone that you would recommend to take a look at it?

For the vintage gun get a 16# spring and if runs well it should be fine. :). Wolf Springs can be ordered cheap directly with budget shipping. I would get an 18.5 for your RIA when you get that one and replace it.

Scott from Scotts Gunsmithing taught me everything I know about 1911's. If anyone can get it running besides myself he can. If I was stil in the firld I would take it in for you but I just cant at the moment my friend. :) My apologies.

Engage Armament has an outstanding Smith too, but they are more south of you.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Thanks for the info. I've never been to Scott's, so this might be a good excuse for a trip in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom