Tumbling Brass (did I completely screw up?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Last edited:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    For cheap walnut media, go to Pet Smart and look for 'lizard litter'. Same stuff at a fraction of the cost.

Is this stuff finer than the corncob-based critter litter they sell at Walmart? I tried that stuff a while back (trying to be cheap), and all it did was get jammed into all the primer pockets, and inside the cartridges themselves. It was a b#tch to pick it out of 150 pieces of 5.56 afterwards.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is also a corn cob bedding called Kay Kob that is finer than some of the other stuff. But it does sometimes get stuck in the case.

For empty cases, especially .223, I have gone back to Lyman Corn Cob media. MUCH finer. Occasionally get one stuck in a flash hole, but not many.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I put a large batch of brass in the tumbler on Wednesday afternoon...mixed 308/300 AAC brass with crushed walnut..

Meant to run for about 2-3 hours... got an emergency call to go into work...

Long story short... totally forgot it was running... ran until this morning at 8am...so it tumbled for approximately 40-42 hours....

Brass is very shiny... but did I screw up the brass by tumbling it so long? any long term damage to the brass?

I put my tumbler on one of those cheap plug in timers and turn it on when I good to bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom