TSA Stops Me from Carrying on five 30 rd Magazines!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My family member that runs a local airport talks frequently about how asinine tsa is in all areas. they frequently lose cats and other animals while searching their carrying containers(as a sidenote..make sure to leash your animal TO THE CONTAINER when traveling by air to make them easier to catch if they need to be taken out). I refuse to forfeit my rights against unreasonable search and seisure or right to keep and bear arms just to travel by air. I drive and plan road trips just to avoid that. as a society i think it's absurd with all the constitutional chest thumping against healthcare and everything else that happens but look at what rights you've given up just flying or submitting to drunk road checkpoint searches.

what's keeping .gov from setting up checkpoint searches for illegal weapons like they do for drunk driving, or having you go through tsa'esque searches to go into any public place like a mall, stadium or concert. 'taint right i tells ya

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is why I no longer wish to fly.

The Government and the Airline industry itself are trying to make it a painful experience. TSA may have screening jobs for the remaining public that have to fly for business but they to are putting themselves out of business.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    In a post a while back, someone asked about putting a magazine in a carry on bag. I didn't think it would be a problem at all. Maui offered the sage advice that it wiser to avoid the TSA hassle and ship the mags to yourself via express mail or check the bag. It turns out that Maui was absolutely right and I was wrong. Apologies Maui!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    This is why I no longer wish to fly.

The Government and the Airline industry itself are trying to make it a painful experience. TSA may have screening jobs for the remaining public that have to fly for business but they to are putting themselves out of business.

That's the point... control the movement of people and you essentially are controlling them in many other ways.

Mark

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    You have no right to fly on an airliner. You comply with the airline's (and TSA's) rules or you can choose to take alternate transportation. You choose to comply when you choose to fly. You are not subject to a search or any other requirement unless you voluntarily buy an airline ticket and board.
    Sorry, its just the truth.

texson66

Nov 25, 2009
    Essentially, the TSA is the foundation for an internal passport control force that eventually will be extended to include ALL transportation forms (for our own security:sad20:). Wait for it ; it's coming. Freedom of movement will be gone for good.:mad54:

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    You have no right to fly on an airliner. You comply with the airline's (and TSA's) rules or you can choose to take alternate transportation. You choose to comply when you choose to fly. You are not subject to a search or any other requirement unless you voluntarily buy an airline ticket and board.

Sorry OP, but Vince is right. No one is forcing you to fly on the airplane. Their toy/place (plane and airport) their rules. I would just forget about it and learn for the future.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

you have a choice whether or not to leave the house too. I hate losing rights because of making a choice to use one system of travel over another. How much business do the airlines lose because of govt tsa search regulations? ultimately they really are only a show of force too. Intelligent and determined enemies will always find a way through these checkpoints. you're completely right, it's just sad.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sorry OP, but Vince is right. No one is forcing you to fly on the airplane. Their toy/place (plane and airport) their rules. I would just forget about it and learn for the future.

no one is forcing you to fly, no one is forcing you to go to the movies, no one is forcing you to go to the mall, no one is forcing you to eat out at a restaurant...just sayin...aint right

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    Basically from what I understand is that whenever go you through TSA, you lose all your rights. That even includes that they can temporarily confiscate your laptop you have (i forget how many hours) and are allowed to copy off anything they want off of it. I believe that also have to comply to unlock the files.

Bernie

Truecrypt with a hidden partition should take care of that :innocent0

ezeerider

Mount Airy, Marylandistan
    Feb 10, 2009
    Mount Airy, Md.
    I was flying to Chicago out of Dulles airport and when my carry on was screened and x-rayed they pulled my bag aside and had me open it up. They said that something inside was setting off their sniffer. After taking just about everything out of the bag they found some spent .223 brass. They ran it thru again and found one more. Not sure how they got in there but it showed me how well their sniffer machine worked. It didn't seem like a big deal to them and the girl that was searching my bag even commented that she also had an AR15. They were pretty friendly about the entire deal and sent me on my way without photocopying anything. It's good to know the machines do what they were meant to do.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was flying to Chicago out of Dulles airport and when my carry on was screened and x-rayed they pulled my bag aside and had me open it up. They said that something inside was setting off their sniffer. After taking just about everything out of the bag they found some spent .223 brass. They ran it thru again and found one more. Not sure how they got in there but it showed me how well their sniffer machine worked. It didn't seem like a big deal to them and the girl that was searching my bag even commented that she also had an AR15. They were pretty friendly about the entire deal and sent me on my way without photocopying anything. It's good to know the machines do what they were meant to do.

so next time i fly i'll make sure not to head straight to the airport from shooting tons at the range or at least take a shower...good to know

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    My main concern is the gathering of my personal info and having it forwarded to a PD when NO criminal offense was committed. The action of the TSA officer is very much like the old WWII movie cliche, "Ihre papier, bitte! Mach Schnell!"
    Carrying on prohibited items is a criminal offense, magazines (along with any gun parts, even wood stocks) are prohibited.
    Truecrypt with a hidden partition should take care of that :innocent0
    They make a drive image, not just copy files. If they really want to read your dirty love letters they'll forward the image to NSA and let them figure it out. Of course, an SD card wont set off the metal detector...

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    In case anyone still wishes to know, you do not have to declare magazines in your checked luggage, and they can be in a regular suitcase, but you do have to declare weapons and show that they are not loaded. You are then required to sign a small orange card acknowledging that they are unloaded and then lock your hard-sided gun case.

I travel with firearms and parts (magazines) frequently (in fact, I am at 31,000 ft on Air Tran now as I write this with a Pelican case in the hold below). It is always simpler to just check anything related. I came back from the Tulsa gun show and checked everything in my luggage. Even though BWI has the longest wait on checked baggage (can be up to an hour) it is still easier than the TSA hassle.

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    ...They make a drive image, not just copy files. If they really want to read your dirty love letters they'll forward the image to NSA and let them figure it out. Of course, an SD card wont set off the metal detector...

Ok... in that case I'll get the image to process :innocent0

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    Basically from what I understand is that whenever go you through TSA, you lose all your rights. That even includes that they can temporarily confiscate your laptop you have (i forget how many hours) and are allowed to copy off anything they want off of it. I believe that also have to comply to unlock the files.

Bernie

I don't think that is the case. TSA is there to protect the passengers and crew from potential threats. They are not a police force. Historically TSA has overstepped their bounds in this regard. I would refuse to unlock my computer and would consult with a lawyer if it was confiscated.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

True, but the airlines are not the one's searching you, the government is... I would have no problem if it was private security run by the airlines and they had their own policy... This is where the problem is, the GOVERNMENT has NO right to search you without a substantial REASON to do so. You might have heard of this thing called the fourth amendment... it applies to the government and is SUPPOSED to protect you and your property from unreasonable search and seizure. Doesn't really work that way anymore, now does it?

http://www.tsa.gov/index.shtm (notice .gov, not .com)

Now we're required to go through digital strip searches, because the GOVERNMENT, not the AIRLINES require it.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom