• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1FastSS

Mar 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My brother and I are looking into doing a trust together so we can build SBR's and purchase surppressors without the hassle. I couldnt find a clean cut answer to this question but, could i list him as a trustee even though he lives in Pa? I was planning on doing the complete trust that way i can edit it later on in life when i have kids, but for now it would be my dad, him and i.

Thanks,

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Yes, my trustee lives in TX. When my kids are of age, they will be added where ever they are living. IANAL but the lawyer who did my trust (IP here) gave me that info and that's why my friend living in TX is the trustee.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My brother and I are looking into doing a trust together so we can build SBR's and purchase surppressors without the hassle. I couldnt find a clean cut answer to this question but, could i list him as a trustee even though he lives in Pa? I was planning on doing the complete trust that way i can edit it later on in life when i have kids, but for now it would be my dad, him and i.

Thanks,

Ask a lawyer.

I have no problem with the cheap internet trusts, but when you are talking about crossing state lines. Get it professionally prepared.

1FastSS

Mar 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am currently in-contact with a IP here about a gun trust. Looks like everything is fine as long as the laws in that state don't conflict with the laws in MD, which they don't. Looks like ill be signing up for a complete trust here soon. Thanks for the help guys

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    One of the trustees in my trust (prepared by a MD lawyer that specializes in gun trusts) lives in VA. Shouldn't be a problem.

1FastSS

Mar 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    One of the trustees in my trust (prepared by a MD lawyer that specializes in gun trusts) lives in VA. Shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome thats what i like to hear! Now what all comes along with a trustee in a trust? Can he use the trust the same way i can to build SBR's and buy surppressors? or is he just there to take my stuff if something were ever to happen to me?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Awesome thats what i like to hear! Now what all comes along with a trustee in a trust? Can he use the trust the same way i can to build SBR's and buy surppressors? or is he just there to take my stuff if something were ever to happen to me?

That depends on what kind of a trustee he is set up as.

(And you should probably ask a lawyer about this, as I'm not one.)

Basically, there are "trustees," and "successor trustees." If you set him up as a "trustee" he'll have the same rights that you do to ALL of the trust's property. (So you'd better trust him. :P ) If you set him up as a "successor trustee" he'll have no power as long as you're alive, but if you pass on or become incapacitated he'll become a full trustee and will have the power to use or dispose of the trust's assets.

1FastSS

Mar 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    That depends on what kind of a trustee he is set up as.

(And you should probably ask a lawyer about this, as I'm not one.)

Basically, there are "trustees," and "successor trustees." If you set him up as a "trustee" he'll have the same rights that you do to ALL of the trust's property. (So you'd better trust him. :P ) If you set him up as a "successor trustee" he'll have no power as long as you're alive, but if you pass on or become incapacitated he'll become a full trustee and will have the power to use or dispose of the trust's assets.

Okay yea thats what i learned online, thanks for the help. He's my brother so i have zero issues trusting him. He helps me out, i help him out. No issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom