• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rough_Rider

Oct 31, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    Anyone using Troy Rear Folding Battle Sights on their AR \ M4 ? If so I'm curious what is your opinion of the quality?

Also if you have a recommendation on another quality brand of BUIS you use please let me know. I need a rear folding iron sight my M4.

There is about a $100 difference between Troy & Yankee Hill and ProMag and others.

Thanks.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I have the ARMS series of 40 and 40L backup sights . . . they seem to do a good job.

I like them over the Yankee Hill due to their refined machining and "spring-up" activation.

Yankee Hill makes good quality equipment (for my purposes), though. I use their drop-in handguards and bolt-on front sight gas block due to the cost/benefit ratio being high with their product.

I would avoid Pro-Mag, if that is the same company that makes magazines.

I think Troy sights are overpriced, but that's because I'm a cheapskate!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have the ARMS 40L and the Troy sights.

The Troy sights are better built. They sit slightly higher then the ARMS and you may have issues if you are trying to have them under the optic. If you are using a red dot you might want to check out the LMT. It is a regular A2 sight but when using a red dot with a high mount it is in the bottom 1/3 of the sight picture and you don't notice it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have the ARMS series of 40 and 40L backup sights . . . they seem to do a good job.
    I have both as well. One thing to consider is that even though the #40L sits lower and is more likely to clear an optic, it also comes up with the small aperture at ready. The #40 sits a little higher, but comes up with the larger "CQB" aperture at ready.
    I like them over the Yankee Hill due to their refined machining and "spring-up" activation....
    This was my single biggest reason for selecting ARMS, because a sight that locks in the up position is more vulnerable to impact damage and if knocked down, the ARMS sights are likely to just pop back up while other designs are more likely broken.

I have 2 sets of the troys, 1 set of the HK416 sights, 1 ARMS 40L, 1 VLTOR FSB and site, and some GG&G.

THey are all excellent. I have handled the MI and YHM they seem good as well, just not as well made as the TROY.

I have no love for TROY. Their rails are manufactured out of spec and they are a PITA to deal with. At least they make a decent BUIS.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I just got a set of PRI's. They don't flip up, but they do lock up. I was looking at the troy's and the arms, but just got a better deal on the pri's

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    +1 on Troys. Probably the finest quality folding BUIS on the market especially in that price range. I think the Knight's Armament are in the same class or a step above, but are priced way high (as is everything they make). I don't like Yankee Hill as they just seem to be from the "Land of the Not Quite Right" especially in terms of positive lockout. Their rails are also not to spec. The MATECH BUIS (rear) is not bad and is the Army issue BUIS for the M4, but there have been problems with breakage. I've also had GG&G, but $hitcanned them because one of the rail grabbers was out of spec and caused cant in the sight. That was their last shot...no more GGGAZ.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a A.R.M.S. 40L, and my only gripe is that it pops up with the long distance aperture (I'd rather it open to a CQB). I have a Troy flip up front, though. Seems well made. I swapped out the standard post for a XS Sight Systems AR 24/7, and it is a major improvement. Now, I'm running without optics- I like these irons better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=161116

Kinda pricey for what it is, but I really like it. At first, I didn't think it was bright enough, but after playing with it, I think the brightness is just about right.

Rough_Rider

Oct 31, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    Thanks to everyone for the replies and good information.
    I think I'm going to try to make it up to see Dan at the Gun Connection tonight or tomorrow night to see what he has on hand. Also will be checking for accessories and magazines at the Chantilly show on Saturday.

I just finished my first EBR build!
    M4 flat top. 223\5.56 CMMG WASP 1/9
    It's a CMMG lower from the Armory. CMMG lower parts kit I ordered online. And a CMMG upper and barrel. For my first build, and until I get more educated on the brands and parts, I wanted to keep the whole unit the same brand to ensure compatibility and make it easy on myself.

It certainly seems lighter and smaller than the M16 I had in Army 10 years ago.

If I can find a decent rear sight then I hope to be at CRESAP Sunday morning breaking it in.

Before anyone flames me, I know, I know...Needs Pictures...! Should have some pictures online by tomorrow night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom