• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have heard there is some unpublished IDPA at one of the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore. Can't find it. I have visited all the possible links to clubs at AGCB and none offer IDPA.

I have been able to get on the list for the IDPA at AAGF and today I see my odds are pathetic from this email I just received.

Shooters,

Dave Cloutier will be teaching an IDPA Safety Officer Course on Sunday May 16. It is an all day course. There are still openings for this course.

This is a useful course for both experienced and newer IDPA shooters.

There are at least 4 reasons for taking this course:

1) Because of it’s inherent value. It focuses both on safety and on IDPA rules and procedures.

2) Our IDPA matches do not run themselves -- they only run because we have safety officers who volunteer their time – so becoming and IDPA SO is a way of giving back.

3) We now regularly have more applicants than spaces for our Saturday matches and it looks like this trend is likely to continue. Safety officers get first priority for match signup. For example, at our 4/10 match, we had 40 shooters apply for our 24 slots and the first 21 slots went to SOs.

4) We also reserve several matches a year for our safety officers only as a reward. These are our Safety Officer Appreciation Matches.

Those interested in taking this SO course should contact Allen at raevler@yahoo. com.

I encourage people to take this course.

Regards,

Blind Old Pete

I know I have not mentioned Thurmont...it's too far for something I might get really interested in.

Who can hook me up with some active IDPA under and hours drive of Baltimore?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would think a Safety Officer's course would be geared toward someone who has actually shot an IDPA match before.

I don't understand why you say you're having trouble getting in. Why not just go to a match? That's all I did.

(edited to add: Okay, I went back and actually read your post, and saw your problem:
    3) We now regularly have more applicants than spaces for our Saturday matches and it looks like this trend is likely to continue. Safety officers get first priority for match signup. For example, at our 4/10 match, we had 40 shooters apply for our 24 slots and the first 21 slots went to SOs.

The solution is- GO TO THURMONT. If this is something you are motivated to try out, then go to Thurmont. Try it one time.)

I don't know how Anne Arundel does it, but at Thurmont, they usually have an introductory class which meets a couple hours before the actual match. I think I e-mailed the match director (Chip Hammond ) ahead of time to reserve a spot, but I don't really remember. It was very low key, friendly and open. (http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscIDPAMatches.htm).

After a short safety/ intro class, you can shoot in the match. Everyone was very supportive, and I didn't humiliate myself.

Afterwards, I joined IDPA as a member (http://www.idpa.com/member_info.asp). As I understand it, you can try one IDPA match without joining. To attend more matches, you have to pay for an annual membership (plus individual match fee, about $10).

Notice I did not join Thurmont. I joined IDPA. As a card-carrying IDPA member, I assume I can attend any IDPA match anywhere on Earth.

You can make the drive out to Thurmont (if you can get off work on a Tuesday) just for a single match to try it out. You're not locking yourself in to a life time committment to the Thurmont club. According to Google it's a 1 hour, 13 minute drive from "the bowels of Baltimore" to the Thurmont range. You can probably shave 10 minutes off that without even risking a speeding ticket.

Contact Chip Hammond about the safety class.

Buy a box of cheap WWB ammo at Wal Mart ( yes, it does make power factor.)

Show up for the intro class with your pistol, holster, and ten bucks.

(By the way, the AGC range doesn't have facilities to host IDPA matches- hopefully they will in the future.)

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    If I can be gruff and not be nasty concerning Turmount...I can have a 3 hour round-trip drive AND use a vacation day, too? That's not gonna happen. I'd rather not find out what it's like than to get into the sport of highway driving with some shooting attached.

You can not just show up to AAGF. The way they dole out the slots at AAGF that might not be clear in the email above. First you join though their Yahoo Group and they send out emails for the up coming match. The first to reply get the slots that are open...AFTER the SO's get on the roster. Last time, according to that email, there were only 3 slots left after the SO's got in.

I agree that having never been to and IDPA it's too soon to sign up for SO'ing.

I need a Plan B.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Work backwards from your destination.

Destination: Try out one IDPA match.

1) AAFG- try to get on waiting list. Persistance should pay off eventually. Note- try going to a match just to observe. Meet people. Help out by setting up/ cleaning up afterwards. Demonstrate motivation. I'm sure they will find you a slot sooner rather than later. How motivated are you?

2) Thurmont - Already discussed. How motivated are you?

3) Sanner's Lake - Longer drive than Thurmont. I don't know their schedule. How motivated are you?

Those are your only options that I know of in-state. Option number one looks good to me. Number two is a sure thing, if you're motivated.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Work backwards from your destination.

Destination: Try out one IDPA match.

1) AAFG- try to get on waiting list. Persistance should pay off eventually. Note- try going to a match just to observe. Meet people. Help out by setting up/ cleaning up afterwards. Demonstrate motivation. I'm sure they will find you a slot sooner rather than later. How motivated are you?

2) Thurmont - Already discussed. How motivated are you?

3) Sanner's Lake - Longer drive than Thurmont. I don't know their schedule. How motivated are you?

Those are your only options that I know of in-state. Option number one looks good to me. Number two is a sure thing, if you're motivated.

Motivation requires stamina...stamina requires youth...youth is long goooooone...

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    If you're in the Baltimore area, have you looked at southern PA?

There are a few clubs up there doing IDPA and USPSA.

celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    Try Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club. There is an IDPA match or practice every first and third saturday and every wed morn at 9am. We have 5 brand new pistol pits and are not limited to a certain amount of shooters as is AA gun club. Any more info needed feel free to email me

celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    Sorry I also forgot that Bridgeville does not have to shut down at 1PM as AA does because of the neighbors

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If specifically looking for IDPA, NRA fairfax is closer to you than Sanners.

Other sugguestion #1 - Expand your universe to include IPSC Production div, Steel matches, various unaffiliated combat type matches.

Other sugguestion #2 - If going to persue ANY type of sanctioned shooting other than Postal Bullseye, be it IDPA, IHMSA, SASS, etc, etc you will have to mentally reclassify "painful commute" into "relaxing drive through the countryside" . One hour radius from B'more is too limiting of venues.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I see your problem. I joined IDPA, and honestly, it was $40 wasted. Of the very few local matches available to shoot at, one is on Tuesdays during the day (WTF?), one is two hours away, and the other won't respond to a dozen emails or phone calls.

For whatever reason, IDPA just isn't popular, here. My best friend lives in Connecticut, and there are multiple IDPA matches to choose from on any given weekend.

It looks like USPSA might be a better bet.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Other sugguestion #2 - If going to persue ANY type of sanctioned shooting other than Postal Bullseye, be it IDPA, IHMSA, SASS, etc, etc you will have to mentally reclassify "painful commute" into "relaxing drive through the countryside" . One hour radius from B'more is too limiting of venues.

This.

I enjoy shooting competitively, but I live on the lower Eastern Shore, where there is an extreme paucity of pistol shooting opportunities. I started shooting at AAFG almost 3 years ago, even though it is 1.5h away. I take the time in the car to figure stuff out in my life. This Spring, I drove 3h to a match in PA, will drive 2.5h on Friday for a 3-gun match at Quantico, and in June I will drive 5h for a match in NC. That is the nature of the beast.

IDPA is a blast, but unfortunately options are a bit limited as to where yo u can shoot locally. There are almost always open slots on Friday at AAFG, as Canuck stated, so hopefully you can get in then and get your feet wet.

As far as SO class is concerned, when I took the class from DC, there were seasoned vets as well as newbies. It was an awesome class, very informative, and well worth it. You will learn a ton about the rules and procedures of IDPA. I would not refrain from the class solely on the basis of you being new to IDPA.

Good luck,
    D

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I see your problem. I joined IDPA, and honestly, it was $40 wasted. Of the very few local matches available to shoot at, one is on Tuesdays during the day (WTF?), one is two hours away, and the other won't respond to a dozen emails or phone calls.

For whatever reason, IDPA just isn't popular, here. My best friend lives in Connecticut, and there are multiple IDPA matches to choose from on any given weekend.

It looks like USPSA might be a better bet.

You are who I thought of when I first got this email...I almost PM'ed you. I had to be a pest and it took about 5-6 emails...we were both cordial. I say keep after them.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/
    http://yorkiwla.org/id38.html

If you are interested in York IWLA check out these 2 sights. They require a "NEW SHOOTER" to check out with the range master. USPSA is draw from the holster and fire, so they are very safety oriented. York IWLA is a COLD range, they have 1 SAFE TABLE where you can un-case the pistol/revolver. This is the only place you can un-holster your pistol except under the direct supervision of the RO.
    The FUN SHOOTS are just like USPSA, use the same targets and setups most months, but are not timed and slower paced.
    Read through the website and send an email to Howard Thompson, he is the Range Master and head of the pistol committee. He has some YouTube videos you can access from the website that go into details.

I have no idea what IDPA is, so I cannot compare it to USPSA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom