• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I have seen huge guys with their grip on the gun broken apart from the recoil of one shot. I have seen little girls smoke a whole magazine and stay rock steady.

Everything you need to do to "control" recoil should be finished before you put your finger on the trigger. So, stop trying to affect the recoil during the trigger press.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    You DO NOT have to buy an apex kit for the trigger.

I never said he HAD TO buy one. However, if you think that a decent trigger won't help a shooter at any level then you're mistaken.

The M&P factory triggers are sub par to begin with. Add the 10lb+ MA compliant pull on top of it as well as the lack of a good positive reset and there is a strong disadvantage when comparing to most other popular handgun's factory triggers.

The question is why learn with such a terrible trigger that can hinder improvement of accuracy, follow-up shots, ect. At the least, op should consider learning with a regular factory M&P trigger and not some single state compliant 10lb+ trigger non-sense.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Your target looks like you're dipping and too much trigger finger. May I suggest that you cope with that 10 pound pull by placing the bone just ahead of the first distal joint, flat across the face of the trigger and pressing straight back.

Treat your trigger finger as it's own entity.

Your support/reaction hand...should have your hand locked down by your wrist downward at 45 degree angle, so you can't break your wrist any further downwards at the moment of the shot.

Breathe and relax your shoulders, and a slight bend in the elbows if you're shooting the isosceles position.

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Viper, I had the same thoughts. I also knew what I was getting into when I bought the MA compliant. It was a good price and couldn't pass it up. Trigger was on my wish list when I bought the gun.

Erno, thank you.

- mobile

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm not a pistol coach, so I won't get involved with that, especially trying to do so over a forum. But I have quite a few guns....handguns, rifles and shotguns and I don't think any of them has a trigger that even comes close to 10lbs. Heck my old TC Contender Silhouette pistols break about 1-3/4 - 2lbs (and yeah, I understand you wouldn't want trigger that light for a carry or defensive type handgun as these guns usually have a bit heavier trigger pull to prevent touching the firearm off too easily). But I would, if I were you, go ahead and get a trigger or trigger job that can be adjusted down to at least 5-6 lbs. I personally prefer lighter (4lbs or less), but I did leave my XDS and XD sub-compact alone for now and the XDS measures a hair over 6 lbs. (haven't shot the XD sub-compact 9mm yet). Right now the XDS is at Springfield (sent for a recall) and I may consider do something with it then... I have think more about that. To be sure, crisp is better than super-light...but crisp and at least reasonably light are generally better yet for target accuracy. I don't think I could shoot very well at all off-hand with a trigger that heavy. My 2 cents

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I would agree with this if the eyes had anything to do with trigger press.

Truth be told the eyes close instinctively during the shot.

I agree with Rob, those charts are pretty much crap.
    Impossible to diagnose a shooting issue in a forum.
    I don't care how you're standing, what pad of your finger is on the trigger, what eye is open or closed.
    Front sight on the target and smooth trigger is all that matters. Once you learn WHY that combination is important. Now, that being said, stance, trigger finger, etc... is just for the beginner who has to start somewhere.
    Precision bullseye shooting or self defense shooting. Two different animals.

With practice you can keep yourself from blinking when you shoot. I find I shoot much better if concentrating on not blinking and repeating in my head 'front sight, front sight, front sight, front sight' until the trigger breaks.

By dry firing with eyes not blinking, it helps you to have a good follow through, as well as assessing when and if you're having problems with your sight dipping/bobbing

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I am keeping that shooter correction chart for future reference.

I LOL'ed

Now I have to explain to my coworkers why I suddenly burst out laughing.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Blinking at the moment the shot breaks...is a sign of a light flinch. Have your partner look to see whether or not you're blinking. Closing one eye, will help cause a flinch.
    Everybody dips once in awhile...it all depends how much. Try to call your shot --- where the sights were on the target at the time of the shot --- and if the pre-shot sequence does not feel right; start all over again.

The reaction hand 45 degree angle --- with the thumbs pointed in line with the muzzle alongside the slide --- will also control recoil for rapid follow-up shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom