• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    Searched but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm having a handgun transferred in from out of state. I filled out the paperwork this morning and was told that I had to buy a trigger lock when I picked the pistol up. I asked if I could just pick up a cable lock from MSP and bring that in and was told no.

I find it hard to believe that the law would mandate me buying a lock from an FFL when MSP hands them out for nothing. Anyone got a definitive answer?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    not a trigger lock. it must be a "bore obstruction device" like an omega lock. basically in md a handgun needs to have built into it an integral lock like smith revolvers or most taurus handguns have. Technically guns that don't have locks built into them can't be sold in md. the way around that is by building a lock into them..IE chambering an omega lock or something similar. some ffl's allow you to bring in your own bore obstruction device while some require you to pay the $20 to buy one so they have a paper trail to show msp.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    not a trigger lock. it must be a "bore obstruction device" like an omega lock. basically in md a handgun needs to have built into it an integral lock like smith revolvers or most taurus handguns have. Technically guns that don't have locks built into them can't be sold in md. the way around that is by building a lock into them..IE chambering an omega lock or something similar. some ffl's allow you to bring in your own bore obstruction device while some require you to pay the $20 to buy one so they have a paper trail to show msp.

So there's no clear-cut law in this case? I find that hard to believe in legislation-happy Maryland.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    My buddy has a one size fits all lock that we use all the time. Seems like this is a better option other than getting a new lock for each caliber. Don't know much about it other than that he got it at Gun Runners in Frederick, and it's saved me a little loot each time.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Any gun I buy on gunbroker, I factor in shipping and 50 bucks to cover transfer fee and gun lock. If the price of the gun in MD is still more than that with tax you still saved. Figure if you buy here, you pay that anyway in tax and the gun lock anyway. If you can find it cheaper, don't get upset about a $20 dollar gun lock. Btw you can't forget about the $10 msp app fee.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You can re use it for your next gun purchase as long as it is the same caliber.

IFFF that's the store policy from where you buy it from. Basspro's such a huge target for msp, that they require a lock to be sold with every gun to ensure the msp can't bitch to us about anything. protects basspro's ability to keep selling guns, but annoys customers.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    IFFF that's the store policy from where you buy it from. Basspro's such a huge target for msp, that they require a lock to be sold with every gun to ensure the msp can't bitch to us about anything. protects basspro's ability to keep selling guns, but annoys customers.

I have purchased 3 pistols since December from the web and I was just ask to present a MD approved gun lock by the FFL. I have the Omega gun lock.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    The story I was told this morning by the FFL was that MSP wouldn't allow me to bring in a lock because that meant I'd left a weapon unlocked at home.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The story I was told this morning by the FFL was that MSP wouldn't allow me to bring in a lock because that meant I'd left a weapon unlocked at home.

does that mean you must be an ffl to buy an omega lock or can you just buy your own from a friend who has an extra one for cheaper than $20. nice try by the ffl. it'd be better just to say it's store policy to protect themselves.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland

FAIL! :tdown: It's not a crime to have an unlocked gun in your home. If it was, they couldn't sell used guns without the lock. Liars will never get my business. I hope you feel the same way.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

That dealer needs his head checked. The way several FFL's have explained it to me, once the gun leaves the dealer's property, there is no need to ever use that lock.

Springfield Armory uses a mainspring housing with a lock, on their 1911s. It is 100% legal to replace that MSH once you get home. Now if you sell that gun, you should replace the SA MSH, so the new buyer gets a gun with the lock.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Stop. Right. There.

That is a load of BULL SH*T (on several levels), and if any FFL tried to feed me that, I'd turn around and never go back there again.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    IFFF that's the store policy from where you buy it from. Basspro's such a huge target for msp, that they require a lock to be sold with every gun to ensure the msp can't bitch to us about anything.

Then I will not purchase a handgun from Bass Pro. There is no law broken for the MSP to bitch about. If they're scared of liability/traceability, Bass Pro should give out the lock free with purchase then, as On Target does.

Since there's no law saying that the gun must be locked at home, this is ********. I'd call MSP and tell them what he told you, then I'd find another dealer.

MH

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville

does that mean you must be an ffl to buy an omega lock or can you just buy your own from a friend who has an extra one for cheaper than $20. nice try by the ffl. it'd be better just to say it's store policy to protect themselves.

FAIL! :tdown: It's not a crime to have an unlocked gun in your home. If it was, they couldn't sell used guns without the lock. Liars will never get my business. I hope you feel the same way.

That dealer needs his head checked. The way several FFL's have explained it to me, once the gun leaves the dealer's property, there is no need to ever use that lock.

Springfield Armory uses a mainspring housing with a lock, on their 1911s. It is 100% legal to replace that MSH once you get home. Now if you sell that gun, you should replace the SA MSH, so the new buyer gets a gun with the lock.

Stop. Right. There.

That is a load of BULL SH*T (on several levels), and if any FFL tried to feed me that, I'd turn around and never go back there again.

Since there's no law saying that the gun must be locked at home, this is ********. I'd call MSP and tell them what he told you, then I'd find another dealer.

Unfortunately, I have to complete this transaction with this FFL. I went to the police property office in Millersville and got a cable lock from them and explained what I was told. They laughed and said that the FFL was just trying to make me buy the lock. One of the officers there gave me her card and told me to have the store call if they took issue with me bringing the lock in.

But yeah, this particular shop will never get another dime of my money.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unfortunately, I have to complete this transaction with this FFL. I went to the police property office in Millersville and got a cable lock from them and explained what I was told. They laughed and said that the FFL was just trying to make me buy the lock. One of the officers there gave me her card and told me to have the store call if they took issue with me bringing the lock in.

But yeah, this particular shop will never get another dime of my money.

Cable locks are NOT an "Approved Lock". You need a lock from the list.

A Maryland "Approved" Handgun Lock is basically a Handgun that has a lock BUILT INTO (Internal) the Handgun, or goes into the slide or bore.

ALL Handguns made after December 31, 2002 MUST have a built in Integral Lock (Lock Built into the Handgun), or a Maryland State Police Approved External Lock (Approved External Lock) at the time of purchase. Cable, Pad Lock, and Trigger Locks DO NOT COUNT per the Maryland State Police.

MD “Approved” Handgun Locks can be found HERE: http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/safety_devices.pdf

In case you dont want to educate yourself furthere here is the list:
    Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices
    The Maryland Handgun Roster Board has approved the following
    integrated mechanical safety devices for either factory, distributor,
    importer aftermarket installation, or by licensed firearms retailers.
    Installation of any of these listed devices in an approved handgun when
    sold satisfies Maryland law.

Bersa Lock (Firestorm)
    Bond Arms Derringer Lock (not the "Allen Key" version)
    Charter 2000
    Cimarron-Aldo Uberti System for SAA
    Ghost,Inc. (for Glocks only)
    Glock's Lock
    GSI Internal Gunlock
    Heckler & Koch System
    Interbore Gun Lock
    Omega Gunlock (for revolvers)
    Omega Gunlock (for semiautomatics)
    Saf-T-Trigger by Saf-T-Hammer
    Sig Arms (only on model 229 at this time)
    Sig Sauer Lock (for semi-automatic pistols)
    Smith & Wesson Lock
    Smith & Wesson Integrated Lock (for semi-automatic pistols)
    Springfield Armory, Integral Locking System
    Steyr Integrated Limited Access Device
    Strahan Firing Pin Lock
    Sturm Ruger Key Lock
    Swiss Safety by Aldo Uberti
    Taurus Systems (separate systems for revolvers and semi-automatics)
    VisuaLock
    Walther 22
    Last Updated: October 10, 2006

Applicable MD Law“A regulated firearms dealer may not offer for sale or transfer any handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is offered for sale or transferred with an external safety lock. “
    “Beginning January 1, 2003, handguns manufactured after December 31, 2002, may only be sold or transferred if they have an internal mechanical safety device."

You are NOT required to use the “Approved” Lock but it is mandated to be supplied at the time of purchase.

Before shipping a gun to a FFL it was YOUR responsibility to see what that FFL's Transfer policies were BEFORE having a firearm sent to them for transfer. There are store policies (Which are created to shield the store from trouble with the MSP), and there is MD Law which a Dealer must comply with.

You openly admit to not knowing or believing the MD Lock Law was valid, and now you want to complain for your poor planning and what some Police Officer who I guarantee cant quote the Law we are discussing told you didnt exist. :rolleyes:

Let me repeat, if the gun was made after the date then an MD approved lock IS REQUIRED at the time of sale. If you cant verify the Date of manufacture then the Dealer will cover their butt and force a lock to leave with the gun.

You do realize the MSP does checks and audits right, but from the way you phrased ypou post, I dont think you care. You want things your way regardless of the law or if your stubborness would harm a dealers license/livelyhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom