• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    Hey everyone -- so here's the situation:

My father recently visited his father (who lives in Canada) who handed down to my dad a couple of the rifles he used to hunt with as a kid, including a leveraction .308 and a bolt action .303.

Problem is, my grandfather didn't have the correct keys to the trigger lock on the .308.

Any suggestions? My dad was thinking of trying to drill out the lock on the rifle but was worried it might damage the trigger?

Are there any gun shop owners who would be able/willing to help?

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    The lock is integral to the rifle itself, correct?

Personally, I wouldn't go messing around with a good rifle by drilling it. The proper key could probably be found online or it could go to a gunsmith/locksmith. It would be a shame to hurt the rifle.

Splitter

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The lock is integral to the rifle itself, correct?

Personally, I wouldn't go messing around with a good rifle by drilling it. The proper key could probably be found online or it could go to a gunsmith/locksmith. It would be a shame to hurt the rifle.

Splitter

I think its just a 2 piece trigger lock (clamshell type), possibly a master lock trigger lock.

You are right if its an integral lock that takes more work, such as gun disassembly or returning it to the manufacturer for rekeying.

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    I'm pretty sure from the way my father is describing the lock that it is just one of those clamshell style trigger locks. I don't believe it is in any way integral to the gun itself.

Clandestine -- how much do you charge for this particular service?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm pretty sure from the way my father is describing the lock that it is just one of those clamshell style trigger locks. I don't believe it is in any way integral to the gun itself.

Clandestine -- how much do you charge for this particular service?

$25, if we can get it off easily, if it requires full firearm disassemly then $75. It will likely just be a $25 job.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    i had a similar problem a few years ago with a master trigger lock that i broke the key off in. I cut the back casing of the lock off with a dremal tool and then gave the internals a few hard taps with a hammer and it came right off

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom