Treeby.jpg
      9.1 KB · Views: 242

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    From the link:
    The great majority of early firearms were single shot. There were many attempts from the earliest times to produce a gun that could be loaded and then fired many times before it needed to be reloaded. This design was patented in July 1855 by TW Treeby. A number of steel tubes were formed into an endless chain. Each was loaded with powder and ball and a percussion cap placed on the nipple at the rear. When the lever is turned the chain of chambers is released and can be turned by hand.
    Reminds me of the coffee mill gun of the Civil War. It used a similar steel "cartridge". Wonder if the inventor got the idea from Treeby's patent?

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I have an o/u perc. rifle from around the same period. It's a hoot to shoot,but reloading is tedious,to me,anyway.Having an interuption in the middle of reloading can really screw ya up.I'd have to hire a Mexican to reload the Tweeby gun.

In 1855 muzzleloaders were on the way out and cartridge guns were on the way in.If the hand of fate had treated tweeby better,he might have invented the machinegun.

Oh yea,there is a twin to my rifle on gunbroker (for over a year) #99007699. I check ever so often,hopin it gets hot,must be over priced.

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    There was also a percussion revolver that had several cylinders on a sort of "Ferris wheel" arrangement. When one cylinder was emptied, another could be swung into place. The "wheel" was around a foot in diameter, so I assume the gun was not intended for concealed carry.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom