• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    What were you shooting? Sporting clays, trap, skeet.....?

I was there a couple of months ago on a Sunday afternoon and there was hardly anybody shooting sporting clays. I think everything is more crowded now because school is back in and nobody is on vacation. I went somewhere the other day and could not believe the number of people that were there. Just cannot remember where that was or what I was doing. lol

It was trap. My buddy and I started as soon as the range went hot. After the first box of rounds, looked over my shoulder and saw like 10 people waiting for the lane we were on. Gonna try the wobble next time. Key with PG is to get there at about 0915.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Just checked out their website. I might come out next Sunday and join you guys. Think I bought my mower from Finch right around there. Never would have guessed that a trap place is right there.

http://www.carrollgun.com/

Shoot me a PM on Saturday 09/27 and I'll get back to you later that evening or Sunday morning to confirm we're heading there. NYTransplant, Mopar, myself, and possibly SNI and P226RN may tag along too.

Try trap at the AGC, it's pretty much a snob-free zone!

A friend of mine was going there for trap shooting a few years ago (I guess 2 to 4) and she was/is a newbie and stopped going mainly because the people (guys) there were really being snobbish and rude to her so basically she jus' said fuggit and never went back. She is quite the mild mannered person and for her to say she quit going becuz of this was somewhat of a shocker to me. When we went to North American last May for the Smiegel and Givvens fundraiser event, we shot trap there and those dudes were quite snobbish with us MDS'ers, basically shutting down the range jus' after we got warmed up. I guess they didn't like us having a good time in our own way.

Last edited:

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Went out to PG skeet this morning, nice place, however it does get packed. Felt really rushed after that, like when you golf and end up with a group of D-Bags behind you.

Oooo, its really rough there on weekends. You probably would have better luck on the earlier end of Friday afternoon's like you mentioned before. Myself and RugerFan shoot sporting clays and wobble mostly there, but sometimes trap. If you get your own cards for the wobble(5 stand), and the sporting clays stations, you can kinda hop around stations to avoid any crowds. We hardly ever go do sporting clays completely in order, but almost always manage to get through any and all stations we want to hit, even if out of order.

Also if you get your own cards, you don't have to hit the clubhouse - you can just come and go as you please when you drive up. I think a while back someone started a "shooting at PG today" thread for days when some MDS'er's are there. A few of us try to go during off peak - non-wknds - if possible. Feel free to PM if you go again during the week, even on a Friday. --JB

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A friend of mine was going there for trap shooting a few years ago (I guess 2 to 4) and she was/is a newbie and stopped going mainly because the people (guys) there were really being snobbish and rude to her so basically she jus' said fuggit and never went back. She is quite the mild mannered person and for her to say she quit going becuz of this was somewhat of a shocker to me. When we went to North American last May for the Smiegel and Givvens fundraiser event, we shot trap there and those dudes were quite snobbish with us MDS'ers, basically shutting down the range jus' after we got warmed up. I guess they didn't like us having a good time in our own way.

Tell her to give it another chance. There's a new person running the trap program and everyone seems to be very laid back and friendly. They're even nice to me there. Some of the more experienced shooters will give advice to the newbies. The public trap on Sundays is really a friendly atmosphere.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Tell her to give it another chance. There's a new person running the trap program and everyone seems to be very laid back and friendly. They're even nice to me there. Some of the more experienced shooters will give advice to the newbies. The public trap on Sundays is really a friendly atmosphere.

Hhhmmm.......I'll let her know that. If we get kicked outta' Carroll County Trap, her and I will have to give it a try.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Shoot me a PM on Saturday 09/27 and I'll get back to you later that evening or Sunday morning to confirm we're heading there. NYTransplant, Mopar, myself, and possibly SNI and P226RN may tag along too. A friend of mine was going there for trap shooting a few years ago (I guess 2 to 4) and she was/is a newbie and stopped going mainly because the people (guys) there were really being snobbish and rude to her so basically she jus' said fuggit and never went back. She is quite the mild mannered person and for her to say she quit going becuz of this was somewhat of a shocker to me. When we went to North American last May for the Smiegel and Givvens fundraiser event, we shot trap there and those dudes were quite snobbish with us MDS'ers, basically shutting down the range jus' after we got warmed up. I guess they didn't like us having a good time in our own way.

Would love to come, but..... I don't have a suitable shotgun :( wah!!!! :(

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Are you being serious or just playing around? I have a Beretta 391 youth model 20 gauge that you could shoot. Also have a full size 20 gauge Beretta 391 and a full size Beretta 391 12 gauge.

I am guessing there is an inside joke like somebody made fun of your shotgun at AGC and that is why you are posting that. However, if you need a shotgun to shoot on Sunday, just let me know. Not sure what 20 gauge shells I have in the house because it has been a while since I shot that gun.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Are you being serious or just playing around? I have a Beretta 391 youth model 20 gauge that you could shoot. Also have a full size 20 gauge Beretta 391 and a full size Beretta 391 12 gauge. I am guessing there is an inside joke like somebody made fun of your shotgun at AGC and that is why you are posting that. However, if you need a shotgun to shoot on Sunday, just let me know. Not sure what 20 gauge shells I have in the house because it has been a while since I shot that gun.

Not joking at all!

My only shotgun does not have a long enough barrel...

If you are serious about letting me borrow your youth model, that would be awesome! Been wanting to check out the Beretta one. :). I'll bring ammo.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

NYTransplant said he'll bring a bantam model for you to shoot. If fabsroman is bringin' one too, you'll have a choice of which one fits ya' better. Needless to say, you're invited. We'll be arriving there about 12:45 PM this Sunday the 28th at Carroll County Gun Club Trap shootin' place.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Not joking at all!

If you are serious about letting me borrow your youth model, that would be awesome! Been wanting to check out the Beretta one. :). I'll bring ammo.

The ammo needs to be 71/2 or 8 shot 2.75" with no more than 3 dram equivalence and no more than 1 1/8 ounces of shot. They're pretty strict about that from what I can make of it.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    NYTransplant said he'll bring a bantam model for you to shoot. If fabsroman is bringin' one too, you'll have a choice of which one fits ya' better. Needless to say, you're invited. We'll be arriving there about 12:45 PM this Sunday the 28th at Carroll County Gun Club Trap shootin' place.

Hmmmm.... Missed that somehow... Cool, I can try them both. :).

Thanks for the invite!

The ammo needs to be 71/2 or 8 shot 2.75" with no more than 3 dram equivalence and no more than 1 1/8 ounces of shot. They're pretty strict about that from what I can make of it.

Was gonna bring 7 1/2. Thanks for the specs.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Not joking at all!

Of course I am serious about it. Would not have mentioned it otherwise. Think the barrel on the youth model is 21".

Well, here it says it is 24", so you should be fine. Never had an issue with it at PG Trap & Skeet or Pintail Point. I'll bring the other 20 gauge 391 too. It has a 28" barrel and we might be able to swap the barrels if the youth model barrel is too short.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Are you being serious or just playing around? I have a Beretta 391 youth model 20 gauge that you could shoot. Also have a full size 20 gauge Beretta 391 and a full size Beretta 391 12 gauge.

I am guessing there is an inside joke like somebody made fun of your shotgun at AGC and that is why you are posting that. However, if you need a shotgun to shoot on Sunday, just let me know. Not sure what 20 gauge shells I have in the house because it has been a while since I shot that gun.

Hey fabs, there really isn't any "inside" joke with it at all, unless one mentions that she'll never outgrow a bantam model...........:innocent0:D I know, bad Louie, no cookie fo' me.

Not joking at all!

Remember to stay within the guidelines for the ammo that place requires as per one of my posts in this thread. Bear in mind, the drams in 20 gauge will be less than 3 dram and the shot measured in ounces will also be less than 1 1/8 ounces.

Of course I am serious about it. Would not have mentioned it otherwise. Think the barrel on the youth model is 21".

Well, here it says it is 24", so you should be fine. Never had an issue with it at PG Trap & Skeet or Pintail Point. I'll bring the other 20 gauge 391 too. It has a 28" barrel and we might be able to swap the barrels if the youth model barrel is too short.

I'm glad you caught the minimum 24". For trap, the 28" is by far better. Is the 28" fixed choke or does it have interchangable chokes???

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    SNI, if ya' want, I'll pick up a coupla' 20 gauge 100 rd boxes at Wally World for ya'. That way you can be sure you have the "right stuff". :D

That would be great by saving me the trip.

I'll bring the cookies, but only if you promise to never mention the fact that I won't EVER outgrow a junior model AGAIN.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hey fabs, there really isn't any "inside" joke with it at all, unless one mentions that she'll never outgrow a bantam model...........:innocent0:D I know, bad Louie, no cookie fo' me.

Remember to stay within the guidelines for the ammo that place requires as per one of my posts in this thread. Bear in mind, the drams in 20 gauge will be less than 3 dram and the shot measured in ounces will also be less than 1 1/8 ounces.

I'm glad you caught the minimum 24". For trap, the 28" is by far better. Is the 28" fixed choke or does it have interchangable chokes???

24" will work for trap. Not optimal since it will be a very short sighting plane, but it will work. Both the 24" and 28" barrels have choke tubes in them. Believe they are Mobil Chokes. Think I have a decent assortment of tubes for the guns. I have everything under the sun for my 12 gauge Berettas and Benelli, but guessing I have Full, Modified, and IC for the 20 gauge.

Crap, I hate guessing. Opened a safe. The barrel on the guns measure 23" and 27", but advertised lengths are 24" and 28". Pretty sure I can swap the barrels if need be since they are both 391 receivers.

Cracked open the shotgun accessory tackle box. Like I said, pretty much everything under the sun for 12 gauge, but all of 3 extra tubes for 20 gauge. lol Between those three and the two that are in the guns, I have Full, Improved Modified, Modified, and Improved Cylinder, so she should be just fine.

Now, with that all said, I might be in Millersville Sunday morning working on making a tree into firewood that Mdeng gave me a lead on. If that happens, I'll drop off the shotguns to SNI Saturday evening and show her how they work just in case I am not back in time to kick off the festivities (going to try to make it, but don't want SNI paying the price if I don't make it there for the first round). The shell release and bolt latch can be a little tricky if you don't know what you are looking for.

By the way, I used to suffer from OCD. Not so much nowadays.

Attachments

• MdShooters62.jpg
      MdShooters62.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 61
    • MdShooters60.jpg
      MdShooters60.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 59
    • MdShooters61.jpg
      MdShooters61.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts