• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    So I hear that although a suppressor can be moved by its registered owner within the owner's state or residence, transportation across state lines requires prior BATF approval. Does that mean I have to get permission from BATF just for travel from my home in MoCo to the NRA Range in Fairfax?

I'm headed to Baltimore next week to get my prints/paperwork started for the tax stamp etc. Is there a special provision for transport across state lines for training purposes?

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    Niiice, thanks. Will add it to the pile of paperwork. I'm assuming I need a separate form for each address I transport to in VA i.e. other ranges etc.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    What do you list on the form for address if you want to visit various ranges in PA and VA and WV?

Can you get away with Various Address and just list the states?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I list my two residences.

The following information is provided pursuant to Section 3 of the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 552a(e)(3)):

1. Authority. Solicitation of this information is made pursuant to the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4)). Disclosure of this information by the applicant is mandatory if the applicant wishes to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

2. Purpose. To determine whether the proposed transaction of the listed items is reasonably necessary and consistent with the public safety and applicable State and local law.

3. Routine Uses. This information will be used by ATF to make the determination set forth in paragraph

4. Effects of Not Supplying Information Requested. Failure to supply complete information will delay processing and may cause denial of the application.

Once you have permission, it's for that state. List your primary range that you plan to visit the most. You will still have to follow all local laws.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the permission slip just for the NFA weapon itself?

A suppressor isnt a weapon.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the permission slip just for the NFA weapon itself?

A suppressor isnt a weapon.

+1 so long as your destination state does not have a law against them. Suppressors are legal in VA so you are fine. You can travel thru unfriendly states on your way to your destination, but you are counting on the police to know NFA laws, which may be asking alot.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    +1 so long as your destination state does not have a law against them. Suppressors are legal in VA so you are fine. You can travel thru unfriendly states on your way to your destination, but you are counting on the police to know NFA laws, which may be asking alot.

+2. no form necessary for suppressor

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    The 5320 form says "A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device...". Is a silencer considered a destructive dvice? The ATF tax transfer form considers it so. Now I'm confused.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The 5320 form says "A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device...". Is a silencer considered a destructive dvice? The ATF tax transfer form considers it so. Now I'm confused.

Where the 5320-20 comes in, if you get a LEO that does not know any NFA laws. You will have documentation on hand to inform the LEO, instead of being detained while they brush up on the laws governing NFA.

It's more of a CYA mechanism, the bonus: the ATF researches the state law before approving the 5320-20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom