• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • uneven

Front and Center
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hello,

Anyone have experience in the Glen Burnie area with transferring a handgun at the police barracks? Anything special I and the buyer need to do or bring to start the process? Not familiar with the process and can't find too much online about it so any info would help.

Thanks for your input

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Several threads on here. Biggest part is leave the firearm in your vehicle, do NOT bring it in to the barrack. Check or money order only, no cash or credit accepted.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    There's a few threads on this already, so I'll just give you a quick run down.

1. Call the barrack and find out when they are doing transfers this week. Arrange to meet the buyer there during one of these time frames.

2. When you get there, leave the gun in your trunk. DO NOT take it in the building. Go in with the other party and let the trooper at the desk know why you're there. You'll both need your driver's licenses and the buyer will need his safety course card and blank check. The check is important, as the MSP will not take cash for the $10 transfer fee.

3. You'll both fill out the necessary forms. A trooper will retrieve the gun from your car and run the serial #. Once the paperwork is done and the gun comes back clean, the gun will be returned to the seller to hold during the waiting period.

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    I am heading there next week to do a transfer, the seller has not done it before and believed the MDSP held the handgun for the waiting period, apparently a friend told him that. I have only done a rifle transfer before so I wasn't sure that was baloney but it sounded off.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I am heading there next week to do a transfer, the seller has not done it before and believed the MDSP held the handgun for the waiting period, apparently a friend told him that. I have only done a rifle transfer before so I wasn't sure that was baloney but it sounded off.

The MSP does not hold the firearm, the seller holds it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Several threads on here. Biggest part is leave the firearm in your vehicle, do NOT bring it in to the barrack. Check or money order only, no cash or credit accepted.
    Are you talking about no cash for the $10 transfer fee, or the purchase of the firearm?

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    Where does a buyer obtain a safety course card? I ask since it's been a while since I purchased a handgun. My last purchase was at a gun store and I didn't have to take a course.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Be prepared for them to ask for the sellers firearm safety info. Its not required for the sale, but when I did a transfer at MSP, they asked for it, and I have heard of it happening before.

Also, be familiar with the forms and the process. Don't expect the MSP to help you out. They will give you the forms and thats pretty much it.

bigb201

Mar 25, 2013
    So when the background check goes through do you and the seller return to the barracks to complete the transfer?

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    i did a transfer couple years ago at a state police barrack on rt1 and rt175. I just brought the bill of the original sale, and all the state police paper work, and the state trooper, was really cool about it. I think it was a sunday morning or something. but yeah, ID's for both party, the pink copies that you get when buying a new gun in md, or the gun. but yeah it was pretty simple.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    So when the background check goes through do you and the seller return to the barracks to complete the transfer?

They will send the paperwork to you by mail with 'not disapproved' along with instructions to have the paperwork signed and mailed back to them. Just got one in the mail today......55 days after filling it out and submitting it. Close to 7 days. Sort of.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    I just did a transfer at the GB barracks last night. Called ahead earlier this week to check when they do it and they told me anytime. Just walk in and they will give us the forms.

Carried the gun to the front door, saw the sign about not bringing them in, took it back to the car. Walked back in and said we wanted to do a handgun transfer and the trooper says "ok, go get the gun".

All went smoothly but for some reason I thought I could hand over the gun to the buyer on the 8th day if I hadn't heard from MSP. They verified that I have to wait for the white copy to come in the mail and said it was taking around 3-6 weeks. :envy:

A little later I was looking over my copy of the form and noticed something disturbing. At the very top there are 4 check boxes allowing you to select the type of transfer. I believe the first is New Sale or Dealer then something like 2nd Party Sale ,can't remember the third and the last is Voluntary Registration.

None of those were checked when we completed the form and the trooper specifically told us to only complete the parts he highlighted in yellow. Well on my copy, both 2nd Party AND Voluntary Registration are checked.

Looks like they take it upon themselves to voluntarily register the firearm for you?! :tdown:

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    I just did a transfer at the GB barracks last night. Called ahead earlier this week to check when they do it and they told me anytime. Just walk in and they will give us the forms.

Carried the gun to the front door, saw the sign about not bringing them in, took it back to the car. Walked back in and said we wanted to do a handgun transfer and the trooper says "ok, go get the gun".

All went smoothly but for some reason I thought I could hand over the gun to the buyer on the 8th day if I hadn't heard from MSP. They verified that I have to wait for the white copy to come in the mail and said it was taking around 3-6 weeks. :envy:

A little later I was looking over my copy of the form and noticed something disturbing. At the very top there are 4 check boxes allowing you to select the type of transfer. I believe the first is New Sale or Dealer then something like 2nd Party Sale ,can't remember the third and the last is Voluntary Registration.

None of those were checked when we completed the form and the trooper specifically told us to only complete the parts he highlighted in yellow. Well on my copy, both 2nd Party AND Voluntary Registration are checked.

Looks like they take it upon themselves to voluntarily register the firearm for you?! :tdown:

i would have gone apesh!t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom