Transferring C&R Firearms to Immediate Family Member - Options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 13, 2013
    So I can't find clear information on what the carve-outs are in the MD ban on private transfers for C&Rs other than if it is an unregulated C&R long gun, it can be transferred between two MD C&Rs according to the normal rules (ledger entry, etc.), and that it is probably (but not explicitly) permissible for a MD C&R licensee to acquire an unregulated C&R long gun from a private individual in MD, but not permissible to dispose of a C&R long gun directly to a private individual in MD. Are there any circumstances where transfer to a private individual is permissible without a 4473, such as from father to son or vice versa?

Alternatively, can the 77r be used for this type of transfer even if the firearms in question are unregulated? I have always noticed that "I'm purchasing a firearm from another person (Secondary Sale)" is one of the responses to the first question regarding Application Type. A long time ago, I transferred a handgun to my father at an MSP barrack, and they even waived the fee specifically because it was a transfer between direct family members (this was before even 2013 so obviously much has changed).

Just curious if there are options other than going to an 01 and paying an arm and a leg just to legally gift a pair of old Mausers to immediate family.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So I can't find clear information on what the carve-outs are in the MD ban on private transfers for C&Rs other than if it is an unregulated C&R long gun, it can be transferred between two MD C&Rs according to the normal rules (ledger entry, etc.), and that it is probably (but not explicitly) permissible for a MD C&R licensee to acquire an unregulated C&R long gun from a private individual in MD, but not permissible to dispose of a C&R long gun directly to a private individual in MD. Are there any circumstances where transfer to a private individual is permissible without a 4473, such as from father to son or vice versa?
    Direct family members are exempt from the NICS background check for any long gun transfer (C&R or otherwise).

Alternatively, can the 77r be used for this type of transfer even if the firearms in question are unregulated?
    NO, the 77R is for regulated firearms only.

I have always noticed that "I'm purchasing a firearm from another person (Secondary Sale)" is one of the responses to the first question regarding Application Type.
    For handgun sales, this is correct, if you are doing a private sale (Secondary Sale).

A long time ago, I transferred a handgun to my father at an MSP barrack, and they even waived the fee specifically because it was a transfer between direct family members (this was before even 2013 so obviously much has changed).
    Still no fee to transfer the handgun to your father or your son.

Just curious if there are options other than going to an 01 and paying an arm and a leg just to legally gift a pair of old Mausers to immediate family.
    If they are immediate family members, they are exempt from the NICS check required by state law for long gun transfers, via secondary sales.

Mar 13, 2013
    Direct family members are exempt from the NICS background check for any long gun transfer (C&R or otherwise).

NO, the 77R is for regulated firearms only.

For handgun sales, this is correct, if you are doing a private sale (Secondary Sale).

Still no fee to transfer the handgun to your father or your son.

If they are immediate family members, they are exempt from the NICS check required by state law for long gun transfers, via secondary sales.
    Thank you for the direct answers, this is really helpful and great news that I can gift these normally!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One correction, the immediate family members need to be residents of Maryland. If not, it is an interstate firearm transfer and you'd both need FFL-03 C&R licenses, or you'd need to go through an FFL.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD

Alternatively, can the 77r be used for this type of transfer even if the firearms in question are unregulated? I have always noticed that "I'm purchasing a firearm from another person (Secondary Sale)" is one of the responses to the first question regarding Application Type. A long time ago, I transferred a handgun to my father at an MSP barrack, and they even waived the fee specifically because it was a transfer between direct family members (this was before even 2013 so obviously much has changed).

Replying to your comment about transferring a handgun to your father at MSP barracks. Last year I went to the Bel Air Barracks and they informed me that direct relative transfers for handguns were completely done online now. Of course my son has an HQL so he logged on to the portal to initiate the transfer and it took 7 days, no charge.

Mar 13, 2013
    One correction, the immediate family members need to be residents of Maryland. If not, it is an interstate firearm transfer and you'd both need FFL-03 C&R licenses, or you'd need to go through an FFL.
    We're both MD residents, so no worries there.
    Replying to your comment about transferring a handgun to your father at MSP barracks. Last year I went to the Bel Air Barracks and they informed me that direct relative transfers for handguns were completely done online now. Of course my son has an HQL so he logged on to the portal to initiate the transfer and it took 7 days, no charge.
    Also really helpful info! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom