• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Finally heading down to train with Ed Shell for three days on long distance precision shooting. Ive been looking forward to this for well over a year. I would really like to hear that thousand yard gong ring.
    Our trip is scheduled for jun 2/3/4. Any suggestions for motels, hotels, camping grounds, etc. as well as good places to eat would be greatly appreciated. All suggestions of any nature are welcome.
    Thanks Rob/Wingnut and Anth/Nattyboh

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    None from me, but I want to get down there this summer to train so I'll be watching this thread.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Only done a singlle day class, but the Mineral Diner served a fine breakfast. Coffee cup stayed full, too.

Enjoy!

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    Time with Ed is so highly thought of with long range shooter, the first place finisher at April's Mayberry Precision Match took a day with Ed Cert. off the prize table.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks guys! :o
    Finally heading down to train with Ed Shell for three days on long distance precision shooting. Ive been looking forward to this for well over a year. I would really like to hear that thousand yard gong ring.
    Our trip is scheduled for jun 2/3/4. Any suggestions for motels, hotels, camping grounds, etc. as well as good places to eat would be greatly appreciated. All suggestions of any nature are welcome.
    Wingnut, I apologize to you and Nattyboh if I didn't provide a list of links to potential places to stay nearby.

For reference, operations are centered on Louisa, VA. Here is what we have and anyone with experience with these places could certainly chime in:

Christopher Run Campground (& cabins): Just what it sounds like, and a straight shot into Mineral. No one has stayed there w/o actually camping, but I have two students taking a cabin there tonight, so I'll know more soon.

ETA: 'Cabins were laughingly described as 'plywood tents' by my students these past few days. Quite primitive, but affordable. Look at it like you're still camping, but there is no actual tent to erect and there is a heater-A/C unit. No running water in the cabin.

Lake Anna Lodge (& hillbilly bar): Again, just about what it sounds like. Probably about the cheapest place to stay and generally gets favorable comments prefaced by "Considering the cost...". Negative comments have been that the owners can sometimes be hard to find after hours (they live there though), that one of the rooms smelled 'musty', and that the hillbilly bar can be loud on the weekends. Quite a few people have also said the bar serves a decent dinner.

Lighthouse Inn: A little nicer, quieter, and most of the rooms have a view of the real lake. I didn't get the exact price from the several parties that stayed there, but comments were universally favorable.

Ginger Hill B&B: Close by, very friendly atmosphere, gun tolerant. Favorable comments from several students.

Boxly Inn B&B: Historic, upscale, spendy, but VERY nice. Be sure to specify "shared bath" or not.

Further out, there are a couple 'name brand' motels with places to eat nearby, but drive times to our meeting points will be 25-30 minutes:

Holiday Inn Express, Orange
    : Just like every other HIE, and I have a few agencies that stay there because billing back is easy. Orange has a few restaurants in town, so it's easy to find dinner, etc..

Best Western, Zions Crossroads: Near the famous SuperWalMart, but otherwise much like any other BW. "Crossroads" is an accurate description of this local attraction and pretty much sums it up. There is a WalMart, Lowes, I-Hop, the motel and a couple misc. strip mall shops. Seems like most of my couples end up here, due to the I-Hop.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Can you do an intro to tactical long range type shooting for 22 cal?
    Depending upon exact definitions, probably yes. We shoot .22s pretty far out and it really works your wind calls. I just shimmed the base on my suppressed 10/22 again to get over 60 minutes of 'up' so I can dial sub-sonics on at 400 yards.

Hit me with an e-mail or PM with/for specifics. Thank you.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Depending upon exact definitions, probably yes. We shoot .22s pretty far out and it really works your wind calls. I just shimmed the base on my suppressed 10/22 again to get over 60 minutes of 'up' so I can dial sub-sonics on at 400 yards.

Hit me with an e-mail or PM with/for specifics. Thank you.

:lol2: Damn Ed, that's more or less lobbing mini-artillery at that point!:party29:

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA

Bringing the 6.5Grendel down?

You will have a great time w/ Ed! And for three days, I'm jealous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom