• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are the best alternatives to using all your ammo training?

• Dummy guns

Votes: 2 8.0%
    • Dry fire

Votes: 15 60.0%
    • Laser training

Votes: 3 12.0%
    • Airsoft

Votes: 7 28.0%
    • Air guns

Votes: 4 16.0%
    • Rimfire

Votes: 5 20.0%
    • Shoot less, but with more attention to results

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You have several options, to use less ammo and keep up your perishable shooting skills. A good website I recently found that discusses these issues is: http://www.studentofthegun.com/

Here are a few options:

1) Dummy guns.
    2) Dry fire.
    3) Laser training.
    4) Airsoft.
    5) Air guns.
    6) Rimfire.
    7) Maximizing your ammo use.

------------------------------------------

1) Dummy guns are great for combatives and role-playing scenarios. You can safely practice many aspects of shooting with an inert plastic training gun. This is a great way to introduce new shooters to firearms.

Weekend%20Warrior%20Plastic%20Dummy%20m92%201%20to%201%20Pistol.jpg

2) Dry fire is terrific for developing and maintaing excellent trigger control and sight alignment, critical skills for marksmanship.

3) Laser training is terrific for training to clear your own home or doing target practice. Using a laser trainer is how I learned to shoot just as well with my non-primary hand. These cost about $100, but will quickly pay for itself in saved ammo costs. There are only two popular and reputable systems available today- Laserlyte and Sure Strike. Bottom line, if you are a one caliber pistol shooter, just get the Laserlyte; if you want to practice with multiple calibers and shotgun, get the Sure Strike.

LaserLyte:
    laserlyte-cartridge-laser-trainer.jpg

This video discusses the differences:

4) Airsoft is a great way to practice force on force and tactics. This is a fun way to make training a game. The best airsoft guns can get expensive and you'll need to decide on gas or electric. They also make some great airsoft rifles, and many serious trainers have switched from simunitions to airsoft because it's cheaper and safer.

5) Air guns have the advantage that they actually shoot a metal projectile, so marksmanship skills and all firearms safety practices must be observed. BB and pellet air guns serve the double purpose of training and varmint control.

6) Rimfire ammo is a fraction of the cost of centerfire ammo. Good options are to buy .22LR replicas of your primary firearms, conversion kits, or entire upper slides for your firearms in .22LR. These are available for both pistols and rifles.

7) Maximizing your ammo use has never been more relevant than now. So when you go to a shooting event make sure that ever round has a purpose. The most important aspect of shooting live, full power rounds through your defensive firearms is that you are comfortable and can properly manage the recoil. Secondly being able to confidently and efficiently manipulate the firearm as well as rapidly fix any malfunction is critical. These are skills you can not easily emulate with any of the above 'alternatives' to using live rounds through a real defensive firearm. One of the more subtle aspects is knowing how fast you can effectively shoot while managing that recoil, where the round will actually strike at various distances, and the confidence of shooting the actual firearm you would use in a life-or-death situation if needed.

A good way to think about maximizing your ammo usage for training and something I've been struggling to perfect is how would you use a simple 50 round box of ammo to best maintain your skills and abilities? The folks at Student of the Gun have made an effort to put a course of fire for pistol together, if you subscribe they will email you their "1 box workout", but heres a video of it in practice:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Nice read. I lOL'ed at the Lenny Magil video though. I rememeber his cheesy videos from the 90's

Very true. He did a series on concealed carry back then featuring his well endowed wife and another 'model' :). When I was a SSG in Bosnia, I wrote Lenny a letter (free mail service out of country for deployed troops). I asked him to send me his latest CCW video for free so I could use it to help train some of our guys that were carrying CCW in country. Long story short, Lenny did send me his latest VHS for free and I've always respected him for it. This is in part why I picked his little YouTube video to discuss .22 conversion kits; that and I've heard a lot of great things about the Glock kit.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Aside from actual gun training, physical training should be an important component. It is important to be ready to defend oneself from a non-lethal confrontation that does not justify the use of a gun. If this thread sticks to gun training only, then one can practice defending from the gun grabber that is not part of the political scene. That can get very physical.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    Now that I've got my first handgun, I've started practicing getting to my gun, readying it, and dry firing just in case something goes bump in the night. If I ever am in a position where I could legally carry, I imagine I'd practice drawing as well. I also have a gas blowback bb pistol that is a fairly faithful replica of a full size Glock that I shoot in my backyard on occasion, but it has no recoil so it doesn't work as a substitute for actual range time.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Now that I've got my first handgun, I've started practicing getting to my gun, readying it, and dry firing just in case something goes bump in the night. If I ever am in a position where I could legally carry, I imagine I'd practice drawing as well. I also have a gas blowback bb pistol that is a fairly faithful replica of a full size Glock that I shoot in my backyard on occasion, but it has no recoil so it doesn't work as a substitute for actual range time.

That's excellent. Drawing from concealment is critical, you've got that right as well. It really doesn't take that much more effort and dedication to get up to speed and maintain your skills and ability to defend yourself. Sounds like you are all over it. Bravo zulu :)

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I'll throw another option out there...

Often times, people will blow through 100's of rounds at the range, employing the same poor fundamentals that they've always used.

Instead, try spending an hour getting quality instruction from a trainer.

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Movement.

Work on moving off "x", working on getting around corners, work on getting through doorways, and other movement drills. Cost you ZERO ammo.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    Movement.

Work on moving off "x", working on getting around corners, work on getting through doorways, and other movement drills. Cost you ZERO ammo.

I do all this incorporated with airsoft. Very very good way to train movement, point shooting, and getting the gun into play from concealment quickly.

For marksmanship/pistol fundamentals, I am fond of shooting the torture dot drill right handed and left handed with my gas blow back G19 replica.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    Movement.

Good suggestion. I think I'll start getting in the habit of doing an armed walk through of my house before bed so if something happens I'll at least know how to move without thinking and won't have to worry about stumbling around in the dark and can focus more on my surroundings.

Once I have the time and the money I'd like to take some kind of class on how to properly handle a defensive situation. Until then I'm just trying to do whatever I can to give me an edge, just in case. Particularly if it doesn't cost me anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom