• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    BCM and DD make great stuff so hard to go wrong with an upper from either company. Also Noveske makes great stuff. If you may ever sell the upper you might want to buy a complete upper from BCM, DD or Noveske. Resale will probably be better on a complete brand name upper.

If you build your own I like VLTOR MUR, Mega Arms, or Seekins uppers.
    As far as barrels I just finished two light uppers (since I couldn't decide either). One with the new BCM keymod rail and the other with the Fortis Rev rail. I used a Rainier Arms fluted barrel in one and a Noveske 14.5 Afghan barrel in the other. Both have polygonal rifling and shoot great but I've yet to really test them for accuracy.

I'm still trying to decide on a 1-X (X<=6.5) scope. Actually, I found the ultimate 1-6 scope (Leupold Mark 6) just don't want to drop $2k on it! I tried the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5 but returned it. I'm trying the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and really like it.

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm still trying to decide on a 1-X (X<=6.5) scope. Actually, I found the ultimate 1-6 scope (Leupold Mark 6) just don't want to drop $2k on it! I tried the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5 but returned it. I'm trying the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and really like it.

Which company allows you to return optics after they have been mounted and shot? I have yet to find one....

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Which company allows you to return optics after they have been mounted and shot? I have yet to find one....

Okay maybe "tried" wasn't the best word. I didn't have to mount it to realize I didn't like the scope. At 6.5X I liked the reticle but not at 1X. Only drawback to ordering online is you can't always see it until it shows up.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Noveske, Daniel defense, BCM, Geissele (trigger), and Mega are the cats meow is what I'm learning here. Right?

Ive just got my hands on the complete owners guide to AR-15. Piecing together the upper would be nice simply to get the best of everything and also not shock the wallet too bad all at once.

This is all great info, hopefully it helps someone else out in the future. Thanks guys!

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    I have a nice unfired upper for sale in the classifieds. It's a Rock River varmint with a DD rail.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    With my lower pictures above does it matter which upper receiver goes with it? I made it in Southern MD last summer...

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'll show you a few of my builds I did and am working on with that Lower Receiver.

The first one is a BCM Light Weight Upper with a Centurion Arms Rail and the second one is a work in progress. It should be finished within 2 weeks. That one is a BCM upper receiver with a Rainier Arms MEDCON barrel with a Griffin M4SD II Flash Comp and a BCM KMR Rail. After it's complete, it will have a SWFA SS 1x6 sitting on top and black furniture. The Cerakote color is Burnt Bronze.

20130420_220255_zpsacae784c by ObsceneJesster, on Flickr

SAM_0787 by ObsceneJesster, on Flickr

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    god dammit. why you gotta go posting burnt bronze again?

NOW I HAVE TO BUY CERAKOTE TO SPRAY. JERK.

I have been wanting to do something in Burnt Bronze for so long. That lower was originally FDE but I already have FDE stuff.

I like how the color changes quite a bit depending on which way the sun hits it. You can notice it a little bit if you look at the rear of the receivers where they meet. The Upper looks lighter than the lower.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    yeah. i was gonna do FDE furniture on the blackout. I'm now thinking black stock/pg/mags/trim on upper/barrel with burnt bronze on the MCSR, upper, and lower......

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Still have some of those lowers sitting in my safe. I had tried to forget about them so I wouldn't spend money.

Now I'm thinking about all of the options.

DAMN YOU!

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I'll show you a few of my builds I did and am working on with that Lower Receiver.

The first one is a BCM Light Weight Upper with a Centurion Arms Rail and the second one is a work in progress. It should be finished within 2 weeks. That one is a BCM upper receiver with a Rainier Arms MEDCON barrel with a Griffin M4SD II Flash Comp and a BCM KMR Rail. After it's complete, it will have a SWFA SS 1x6 sitting on top and black furniture. The Cerakote color is Burnt Bronze.

20130420_220255_zpsacae784c by ObsceneJesster, on Flickr

SAM_0787 by ObsceneJesster, on Flickr

Looks great! Thanks for that. The bronze is good looking for sure. I'm planning on FDE stock, hand guard and mags and the rest black (nothing fancy).

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    I have a Pinned 14.5" with a cold hammer fordged barrel BCM with Troy Aplha VTAC rail 11" and a geissele SSA-e trigger. Full BCM bolt and handle....sweet shooter i must say...

2137087ed5f69f6cae14429138005812_zpsfe37e898.jpg

4d0714744c4a26b9dce7af33e2a7a6e1_zps6c92546b.jpg

raider80

Nov 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Engage has some nice billet uppers with very respectable barrels I was looking at a few myself for same lower. $150 for just upper assembled.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Top of the line to me would include:
    HK
    PWS
    BCM
    KAC
    POF
    NOVESKE
    LMT
    LWRCI-being bought by Colt quality may change, not sure if good or bad
    LA RUE-currently has issues delivering.
    DD
    And a MD company in Baltimore, I forgot their name. *****ADCORE...thanks for the reminder.

I wouldn't mind a complete upper from any to finish building out my five remaining stripped lowers.

Last edited:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TIP TOP

I'm looking to finally start my build. I am planning to do it right the first time around since it will be the only AR-15 I will ever own. I don't want bottom of the barrel, economy, or even mid-grade parts in it. I am trying to track down a few options that at premium quality. Most of the threads I have seen cover good deals and decent stuff but I want better than that. All I have right now is a custom billet lower. Once I get an upper Ill start looking for barrels.
    What are the recommendations for this?

Well, if money is no object, or not an issue, pre made uppers you have: Daniel Defense, Novetske, LaRue*, Knights Armament, individual barrels, Kreiger, Douglas, Novetske,DD, WOA, Lothar Walthar, Uppers, many, but Seekins are nice, Hand Guards: Daniel Defense, Noveske, BCM, Seekins, Triggers: Giselle, Timney, Muzzle device: Battle Comp, Gas block: pinned-Adco Defense

That should get you started :-):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom