• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I've been notice that a common trend is that the closer the barrel is to the top of my hand the easier it is for me to shoot accurately with it.

Is this common knowledge or something the rest of you have experienced? It would seem to make sense from a recoil perspective.

Anyway, if that is the case, is there much variability in modern 45s? I'm in the market for one. Any that are particularily low, or any that are particularily high (for example I could see a decocker jacking the barrel up some distance.)

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The closer the barrel centerline is to the top of your gripping hand (apologies to Niven and Pournelle), the less muzzle flip you should get (less torque about the pivot).

Bryan

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Here's what probably matters the most for accuracy.

You need to find the best grip that will not interfere with trigger control. A poor grip will cause you to misalign your sights as you squeeze the trigger. Many folks will increase and decrease grip pressure with all their fingers without realizing it to try and get the sight alignment to steady again and then once they squeeze the trigger they misalign their sights again. The only finger that should be applying more pressure to the gun when you squeeze the trigger is the trigger finger. If your groups are large that is probably the problem.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    All the above is good information. Don't get too high as one may receive the red 11's on top their webbing between thumb and trigger finger. This is almost impossible to happen with a 1911 type that dons a beavertail grip safety.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I believe its called a low bore axis

Thanks! That seems to be the keyword.

And it sounds like it's a trade off. High bore axis gives you more flip, but it causes percieved recoil to be lower and more managable, wheras you feel low axis shots more but experience less flip.

Olympic target pistols are designed to minimize bore axis.

Sounds like XDs are high enough to bother some people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom