• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    You are doing Tha Lord's Work. Thanks for being an ambassador for responsible firearms enthusiasts everywhere.

Cheers and merry Christmas!

shekshishekki

Mar 5, 2012
    Good job! I love taking new shooters out and giving them a tour of rifles, handguns, and shotguns. Whether they like/scared of/dislike guns, they've all walked away with a big grin on their faces :)

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    My son asks from time to time to take a friend shooting. For me this is a difficult proposition. I see these as the 2 biggest hurdles.
    - keeping the kids from getting silly or too excited or from getting bored when not on the line
    - Making sure the parents are comfortable and that they are aware that its not a wild uncontrolled or unsafe atmosphere
    On the first trip out I usually invite father and son and take care to invite both on a day that they are off from work. This gives the parents the opportunity to go with their children and make certain they are comfortable with the environment and the instruction and supervision. Usually after an hour or so, the parents settle down and become comfortable. I can usually share a lane with my son however, when there are 2 kids, it means no range time for me, only supervision which is fine. I pay for the ammo and the range, so it is as easy as can be and there is no expense to them. I usually bring some snacks and a couple bucks for drinks. Its a good time. I take care to give the used target to the kids as mementos of the day. Its a steep hurdle as some parents are very apprehensive especially if they have never been. For some its a quick turn. Others it takes a bit longer but NONE have ever left without a smile.

This is a great sport and worth fighting for to me. If I don't help others get interested and vested in keeping our rights they will surely disappear.

roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    Great Job OP... nothing like seeing a young person break their first target. I like to make a big deal about the event. There was a time I had clay target pins that I would hand out to my first time shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom