• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I guess just ask yourself what bad will come from it and why are you doing it? Basically bad things are that the gun might be more slippery to hold and you'll get oil on clothes. If there's an abundance of oil near the breech, or somehow in the mags, you could ruin primers on crappy ammo after a while. That's about it though.

For inside the gun, apply lubrication generously...oil where you want migration and grease where you don't. If you're putting oil on the outside for corrosion protection, use of a dedicated corrosion inhibitor like eezox or "rust prevent" may provide better protection and less slipperyness. Some even opt for wax...but meh.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Also, wear on your gun's finish will be dependent on lots of things, but is largely unavoidable if you use it and/or carry it a lot. One variable is the holster. A leather holster will essentially rub-wear the gun pretty uniformly, but more so on edges towards the muzzle. A kydex holster will only really wear a couple small friction points (largely around the trigger guard) but will wear those streaks in as noticeable lines. You can greatly reduce holster wear by keeping the holster clean...which is much easier to do with kydex (rinse it out every once in a while)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I pretty much use grease for everything that slides or rubs. Oil on trigger puns, hammer pins, and firing pin shafts...

Ignore your buddy... and use the gun like a pair of combat boots. It's not your wifes holiday China.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    All great advise.

In line with this, if I shoot it about 600 rounds a month is that considered a lot of wear and tear?

Most people I know are casual shooters. Meaning they shoot maybe 6 times a year. A few have lots of firearms but seem to shoot the same one over and over. Seems silly but maybe more common than not.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    All great advise.

In line with this, if I shoot it about 600 rounds a month is that considered a lot of wear and tear?

Most people I know are casual shooters. Meaning they shoot maybe 6 times a year. A few have lots of firearms but seem to shoot the same one over and over. Seems silly but maybe more common than not.

I wouldn't say that's excessive at all.

With that in mind shoot the hell out of it. It does you no good to just have it sitting.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    not everyone uses the same lube.

ok...iffffff you're using old dino-lube or some other silly temp-sensitive stuff rather than superior and more stable synthetic lube, then yeah. So, be sure to use temp stable synthetic modern lubes to keep that from happening.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    Doobie aint kidding when he said the rest are in his safe but I have to say everything I have ever seen him shoot or I have shot that is his looks freaking brand new. My advice is keep the shit lubed up I follow Clandestines way of lubing and my ar works better then it did when brand new. so I started to lube everything a lot more and clean less plus its a lot more fun shooting and lubing then cleaning. :lol2:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Doobie aint kidding when he said the rest are in his safe but I have to say everything I have ever seen him shoot or I have shot that is his looks freaking brand new. My advice is keep the shit lubed up I follow Clandestines way of lubing and my ar works better then it did when brand new. so I started to lube everything a lot more and clean less plus its a lot more fun shooting and lubing then cleaning. :lol2:

:):thumbsup:

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    oil and wood dont mix well - doesnt matter on plastic, If you have a nice shotgun or rifle keep your oil away from the stock

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not really. A lot of dedicated clay shooters easily put 20,000 hulls through 1 gun in a year. A lot shoot more than that

Yeap. Did about 15K shotgun shells the first year of discovering sporting clays. :)

When I shot USPSA, I was shooting 750 - 1000 rounds of .45 every week during the season between practice and matches.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    All great advise.

Once you go though 1500-2k in a month, you know you have an addiction and should go into therapy. Something like IDPA can help. :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Like Smokey said, pretty much any synthetic lube will work fine down to minus really damn cold. I suppise there could be relative differences between brands at somthing like -50deg , but that's not relevant to me or most of lower 48.

Just avoid 3-n-1 when near zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom