• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    My two sons and I just finished Tom's course last Saturday.

First, a little about us. We have very little shooting experience. My sons David (20), Will (14) and I started shooting about four months ago. Our experience has been at Hap Baker's on sandbags. We have 2 RRA midlengths. We have a few accessories, but not much. We do not have any pistols, and almost no pistol experience. We have no military experience. So, you don't get much more green than that.

We signed up for Tom's course by email. There is a link to the Harrisonburg Hospitality Hotel, where Tom has a discounted rate. Be sure to let them know you're with CCJA when you check in. The hotel is fairly-priced and right off of I-95. There are probably a dozen fast-food chains within walking distance of the hotel. The boys and I ate at Joe's Crab Shack Friday night.

The morning starts at 0900. You meet at the CCJA office, which is located about 5 minutes away from the hotel. Tom goes through a Powerpoint presentation on safety, combat physiology and field stripping and cleaning. There is a neat Flash presentation of an M-4 cycling. He can "x-ray" or peel through the layers. You can watch the gas blow-back cycle the action. I have seen a flash video on the web, but this is much better.

We then stripped our weapons. I needed to borrow one, and I put the BCG back together wrong. I've done the same thing at home many times before on an identical bolt, but somehow this was different. No harm done, they showed how to check it and fix it.

Some more lecturing about positions, movement and tactics and it was time to break for lunch. Tom showed a video from "over there" where an IED hits a vehicle in front of the camera vehicle, and shatters the windshield in front of the camera. Lots of action.

After lunch, you meet back up at the office and caravan to the range. Tom outfitted us with Glocks, magazines and holsters. We bought our 9mm from him, but had plenty of .223 with us. He said that since he bought at (what we hope was) the top of the curve, his prices are high. There is a Wally right down the street and we scoped it out at lunch. They had some .223 but no 9mm, and we were grateful to get 9mm at any price. The extra gear was loaned to us for a modest fee.

At the range, we started by zeroing the iron sights on paper. Then we went to combat stance. This was new to us. We shot at metal targets with a swinging flag. Now, a word about Tom. As every one else has said in previous posts, he has a wealth of real world experience. Despite our newby status, he tolerated us well. The course is about tactical use of the carbine, and that implies action under stress. Tom did a great job of blending stress, teaching and support. We were clumsy and unfamiliar with our rifles, which caused Tom to occasionally channel Gunny Hartman. He was concerned that he was riding us too hard, but I told him I didn't expect hearts and flowers. I asked him to kick our asses just as much as he would anyone else. He took us step by step through the movements with patience and good cheer, even when it turned out I broke the charging handle on his rifle.

While we didn't really do it right on the range, we did learn how to do it right. We have lots to practice and work on. There may be more than one right way to do these maneuvers, but there are clearly identifiable wrong ways. Elbows stick out, instead of being tucked in tight. You don't square off, which exposes your unprotected armpit to fire. You don't roll your rifle when checking over your shoulder. You don't go to High Sally when kneeling down, taking your rifle out of the game and exposing your muzzle to possible obstruction. We did 'em all. Pilots say that the Federal Aviation Regulations are written in blood. So is everything Tom will tell you.

But now we know better, and with a little practice, we'll be up to speed. I don't think I'll go to the range and put my AR on sandbags ever again. I doubt the ROs at Hap Baker will let me park my truck in front of the firing line so I can shoot over the hood or through the windows, but I sure as hell will be replaying that part of Tom's course in my head each time I step up to the red line.

I was rather pleased with our shooting. We all easily hit the metal targets, and often hit the swinging flags, even when walking hunched over and shooting. No, what we did wasn't pretty, but it did give me confidence that- with a little work- I could use my rifle as a highly effective defensive weapon.

Who is this course for? Anyone who has ever thought of doing something with his rifle other than bench shooting. If you ever wondered what it is like to depend on your rifle for your life, this will give you a taste. It is a humbling experience to think of the thousands of our fellow citizens who do this day in and day out, with superb skill balanced with extraordinary discretion. They do this for us, and ask for almost nothing in return.

We stayed at the hotel Saturday night. Tom was willing to stay as late as anyone wanted, even into the evening. However, the gentle melody of ARs popping is not appreciated by everyone, and due to complaints from the forces of evil, we had to stop between 5 and 6. By the time we got back to the hotel, it was time for a shower and a steak.

On Sunday we stopped off at the Marine Corps Heritage Museum. Will had already been there, so he gave us a guided tour. It was time for more humility, reflection, admiration and appreciation. We are so very fortunate.

The only problem with the course is that half-way through you start thinking about what course you can take next. Be careful, this could be addicting.

My two sons and I just finished Tom's course last Saturday.

First, a little about us. We have very little shooting experience. My sons David (20), Will (14) and I started shooting about four months ago. Our experience has been at Hap Baker's on sandbags. We have 2 RRA midlengths. We have a few accessories, but not much. We do not have any pistols, and almost no pistol experience. We have no military experience. So, you don't get much more green than that.

We signed up for Tom's course by email. There is a link to the Harrisonburg Hospitality Hotel, where Tom has a discounted rate. Be sure to let them know you're with CCJA when you check in. The hotel is fairly-priced and right off of I-95. There are probably a dozen fast-food chains within walking distance of the hotel. The boys and I ate at Joe's Crab Shack Friday night.

The morning starts at 0900. You meet at the CCJA office, which is located about 5 minutes away from the hotel. Tom goes through a Powerpoint presentation on safety, combat physiology and field stripping and cleaning. There is a neat Flash presentation of an M-4 cycling. He can "x-ray" or peel through the layers. You can watch the gas blow-back cycle the action. I have seen a flash video on the web, but this is much better.

We then stripped our weapons. I needed to borrow one, and I put the BCG back together wrong. I've done the same thing at home many times before on an identical bolt, but somehow this was different. No harm done, they showed how to check it and fix it.

Some more lecturing about positions, movement and tactics and it was time to break for lunch. Tom showed a video from "over there" where an IED hits a vehicle in front of the camera vehicle, and shatters the windshield in front of the camera. Lots of action.

After lunch, you meet back up at the office and caravan to the range. Tom outfitted us with Glocks, magazines and holsters. We bought our 9mm from him, but had plenty of .223 with us. He said that since he bought at (what we hope was) the top of the curve, his prices are high. There is a Wally right down the street and we scoped it out at lunch. They had some .223 but no 9mm, and we were grateful to get 9mm at any price. The extra gear was loaned to us for a modest fee.

At the range, we started by zeroing the iron sights on paper. Then we went to combat stance. This was new to us. We shot at metal targets with a swinging flag. Now, a word about Tom. As every one else has said in previous posts, he has a wealth of real world experience. Despite our newby status, he tolerated us well. The course is about tactical use of the carbine, and that implies action under stress. Tom did a great job of blending stress, teaching and support. We were clumsy and unfamiliar with our rifles, which caused Tom to occasionally channel Gunny Hartman. He was concerned that he was riding us too hard, but I told him I didn't expect hearts and flowers. I asked him to kick our asses just as much as he would anyone else. He took us step by step through the movements with patience and good cheer, even when it turned out I broke the charging handle on his rifle.

While we didn't really do it right on the range, we did learn how to do it right. We have lots to practice and work on. There may be more than one right way to do these maneuvers, but there are clearly identifiable wrong ways. Elbows stick out, instead of being tucked in tight. You don't square off, which exposes your unprotected armpit to fire. You don't roll your rifle when checking over your shoulder. You don't go to High Sally when kneeling down, taking your rifle out of the game and exposing your muzzle to possible obstruction. We did 'em all. Pilots say that the Federal Aviation Regulations are written in blood. So is everything Tom will tell you.

But now we know better, and with a little practice, we'll be up to speed. I don't think I'll go to the range and put my AR on sandbags ever again. I doubt the ROs at Hap Baker will let me park my truck in front of the firing line so I can shoot over the hood or through the windows, but I sure as hell will be replaying that part of Tom's course in my head each time I step up to the red line.

I was rather pleased with our shooting. We all easily hit the metal targets, and often hit the swinging flags, even when walking hunched over and shooting. No, what we did wasn't pretty, but it did give me confidence that- with a little work- I could use my rifle as a highly effective defensive weapon.

Who is this course for? Anyone who has ever thought of doing something with his rifle other than bench shooting. If you ever wondered what it is like to depend on your rifle for your life, this will give you a taste. It is a humbling experience to think of the thousands of our fellow citizens who do this day in and day out, with superb skill balanced with extraordinary discretion. They do this for us, and ask for almost nothing in return.

We stayed at the hotel Saturday night. Tom was willing to stay as late as anyone wanted, even into the evening. However, the gentle melody of ARs popping is not appreciated by everyone, and due to complaints from the forces of evil, we had to stop between 5 and 6. By the time we got back to the hotel, it was time for a shower and a steak.

On Sunday we stopped off at the Marine Corps Heritage Museum. Will had already been there, so he gave us a guided tour. It was time for more humility, reflection, admiration and appreciation. We are so very fortunate.

The only problem with the course is that half-way through you start thinking about what course you can take next. Be careful, this could be addicting.

Good AAR :thumbsup:

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the AAR!

Les,

First let me say it was a pleasure to have you and your boys in class, what you lacked in tactical experience you made up for in heart and pure desire to learn.

You did very well considering your class mates were a Federal Special Agent a High Threat Contractor from New Jersey and the 3 Navy guys from Norfolk ;) and a Recon Marine.

The problem I have is although we bill the class as a Basic Carbine Course folks who I have worked with or trained with in the past show up and the next thing you know we are moving at a much faster pace. However I would not be able to do any of this without my fantastic Instructor Cadre. I have been blessed to be able to have some of the best operators in the business come out and help teach fresh from a "Sand Box" deployment. So students get real world no BS training.

Jade did a great Job motivating you guys:party29:

P.S. I love teaching and training with the folks from MD Shooters they are a great group of people who have accepted me into MD shooter community and for that I am greatful.

Tom

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Great AAR. I suggest taking Tom's one day course more than once (I am going on the 16th of Aug, this will be my 4th time this year). You will pick up new things and Tom will fine tune you. Plus, where else can you go and shoot like you can at Tom's!?

JT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom