• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Perroni’s Tactical Training Academy offers a 1 day action packed TACTICAL CARBINE COURSE for $150.00!!!!

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/training.htm
    A few friends and I took this course on 3-21-09. This is my AAR (after action report):

Class started promptly at 0900 in a very professional and well organized space. There where a mixed bag of attendees ranging from armature “sport” shooters to ex-law enforcement officers and experienced “operators”. There where two additional instructors for the 12 students and all of the staff are well seasoned professionals with decades of experience in firearms training and operations in high threat environments. Not to mention a friendly bunch.
    The class room segment covered everything from description and characteristics of the rifle, disassembly, assembly, care, cleaning and proper lubrication, ammo, accessories, sights, function of the action (through the use of a very cool layered animated PowerPoint presentation that beat the crap out of the old four times the size of the M16 plastic training aid that some of us saw in basic). Also covered where the fundamentals of marksmanship, stoppages and malfunctions, proper fighting stance, weapons handling, and above all safety. Some “know it alls” might think this was a waste of time, but I for one was very entertained by the dynamic way in which the material was presented and picked up a few things along the way. This portion of the class was very well presented, informative to the novice and served as a refresher for the rest. We broke for a 1hr lunch brake and regrouped for the “caravan” to the range.
    The range is about 20 minutes from the academy for which maps where provided. A very helpful detail was that members of the staff brought up the rear of the caravan to assist in not leaving anyone behind. Upon arrival at the range we where treated to a wide open and secluded area of about 800+ acres to include a 17’x60’ + backstop, paper targets, an assortment of silhouette, paddle, and active targets all made of metal including a vehicle(functioning) and barrels for cover . We where extremely exited to say the least.

Once geared up, locked and loaded, it was shooting time!!! Tom and his cadre started out by making sure our rifles where zeroed in properly and assisted those whom needed some help in accomplishing this. Once zeroed we started moving back twenty yards at a time putting a few rounds on steel shooting offhand till we where at about 125 yards and you could still here that rewarding “ping” when you scored hits. From there things got very interesting with many active shooting drills including; engaging multiple targets at close range, transitioning from primary to secondary weapon (pistol), moving up to and shooting from barricades, support or weak side shooting, moving and shooting from one barricade to another, including using a vehicle as cover and shooting through the open windows, retreating drills while putting down cover fire with multiple shooters and communicating in the process.

Then Tom kicked it up another notch by having the class simulate an IED attack on a vehicle with a subsequent ambush that allowed the class to learn how to exit the vehicle, put down cover fire while exiting the threat area. Just when I thought things could not get any better. Tom asked if anyone had any special “requests”. He got a request from yours truly for an offensive group drill moving up on target while incorporating transitions from rifles to pistols. By this time the sun was setting and we got to do this while deploying our tactical lights. We got to see the steel targets flash with sparks! What a great ending to an awesome day. See pictures dated 3-22-09 here:

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/slideshow/

I’ll save the bar AAR for another time (I was very bad). Kudos to Tom Perroni and his staff for an outstanding day that ended close to 2000hrs!!! I’LL BE BACK!

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Here's a few of the pics we got. We didn't do real well with pics cause we were having fun and the camera was the last thing on our minds. Check out the Cool FN in there!

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

TheToddster.jpg

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Think it was around 700 total for the carbine and a tick over a hundred for the pitol on Saturday. A few of the drills were ammo heavy.. On the IED drill I dumped 4 30 rounders in the course of maybe 2 minutes. :party29::party29: They didn't stand a chance...lol

We were out there till dark and got chance to use our lights, Tom was very cool and said we could shoot till we were done. The two guys that were military contractors left early...:rolleyes:

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    I went through more than 200 pistol rounds and 700 5.56. For every one of Todd's single shots I double tapped. lolol

Get in one of his courses if you can 150.00 is nothing for the training this man gives. I have been eyeballing the Blackwater courses for a couple of years now dreading the prices and the overall expenditure to take one. Tom was and is a Blackwater instructor so you get very similar training without the blood letting from the wallet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom