• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I did not use my SSN or MD Driver's License number on a EMDSP account. I used a secret question and answer. So what PII am I exposing?

Is it the method that they are using to change a password very easily hacked?

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    Appears they are using the eGov solutions core libraries for their site (http://www.egov.com/Solutions/CoreServices/Pages/default.aspx).

Also interesting, it also appears their page was modified from an Outdoor Music Festival Permit site...page contains code:

<td rowspan="1" colspan="1"><a id="link_reg_business" href="PersonSearchResults.aspx?Facility=Y" style="display:none">Register for Outdoor Music Festival Permit</a></td>
    </tr>

Yep, I want to trust my PII to these folks...!

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    As mentioned, I would LIKE to think MSP did this for us to throw us a bone in court. They can't really be that dumb. Right?

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Hope someone grabbed some screen shots. But i agree with the warning about 'hacking' a govt system.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    They made it like applying to Groupon. It's probably just another ploy to delay implementation. Once it is shown how inadequate the registration process is, it will need to be shut down and redesigned.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    OK, here it goes!

"Title 18, Section 1030 of the United States Code, (the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act) which prohibits a number of different kinds of conduct, generally involving unauthorized access to, or damage to the data stored on, 'protected computers'..."

"Protected computers" are a computer—

(A) exclusively for the use of a financial institution or the United States Government, or, in the case of a computer not exclusively for such use, used by or for a financial institution or the United States Government and the conduct constituting the offense affects that use by or for the financial institution or the Government; or

(B) which is used in interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including a computer located outside the United States that is used in a manner that affects interstate or foreign commerce or communication of the United States.

It is unclear to me (because I am not a lawyer) whether the term "United States Government" is only the Federal Government, or it if includes all government agencies.

Again, these are waters I wouldn't want to test. People go to jail for hacking.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Not a personal thing, so don't hit me :D, but I have wondered all along why everyone seemed so hot to get into the system and apply.

Sure, there's the "bury them" aspect... but with the history of asshattery with MSP's processes, why not wait to see if things actually WORK??

Three reasons:

1. I want to buy more handguns
    2. I want to bury them with paperwork
    3. I can be a plaintiff in a case if things like these glitches occur because I actually did try to get an HQL and was denied due to MSP asshattery

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    OK, here it goes!

"Title 18, Section 1030 of the United States Code, (the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act) which prohibits a number of different kinds of conduct, generally involving unauthorized access to, or damage to the data stored on, 'protected computers'..."

"Protected computers" are a computer—

(A) exclusively for the use of a financial institution or the United States Government, or, in the case of a computer not exclusively for such use, used by or for a financial institution or the United States Government and the conduct constituting the offense affects that use by or for the financial institution or the Government; or

(B) which is used in interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including a computer located outside the United States that is used in a manner that affects interstate or foreign commerce or communication of the United States.

It is unclear to me (because I am not a lawyer) whether the term "United States Government" is only the Federal Government, or it if includes all government agencies.

Again, these are waters I wouldn't want to test. People go to jail for hacking.

Government means the federal government, or one of it's independent agencies.

If the person who entered the information shared it with others and suggested that they try it, it may be a case of that person providing permission to access that specific record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom