• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    Most people with the means will have a nice collection of various guns. I, on the other hand don't have that luxury. I get one, use it for a while, then trade it n for something else.
    Currently have an XD40SC, and have been wanting a Glock for a while. I can't decide between the 26 or the 19, I've been thinking about going back to 9mm for cost and follow up.
    I don't want a manual safety, and I want good parts availability, and reasonable priced mags.
    I've also been wanting to get a revolver eventually, like a Ruger Sp101 or GP100. But, for some reason I don't want one as my only gun. I want a semi first, then if I can also get a revolver, the I would.
    This is just me thinking out loud to get some opinions while I decide. I gotta go shoot some, but cringe at the cost of rentals and range time.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Some places will waive the rental fees if you buy from them. No need to sell one to buy another. The way I look at it is that once you buy something its yours and its already money spent. You could afford it once you can do it again.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I always like diversifying my collection with something I don't have anything similar to. I'd say go for the revolver, they are more fun at the range because you don't have to bust your thumb to load it! Try out the SP101 and the GP100, then find a nice used S&W Model 10.

Owning an XD and buying a Glock is like having a Toyota Camry and buying a Honda Civic. Yeah, they're technically different but not so different to justify owning one of each.

onespentround

Nov 14, 2010
    Sykesville
    Most people with the means will have a nice collection of various guns. I, on the other hand don't have that luxury. I get one, use it for a while, then trade it n for something else.
    Currently have an XD40SC, and have been wanting a Glock for a while. I can't decide between the 26 or the 19, I've been thinking about going back to 9mm for cost and follow up.
    I don't want a manual safety, and I want good parts availability, and reasonable priced mags.
    I've also been wanting to get a revolver eventually, like a Ruger Sp101 or GP100. But, for some reason I don't want one as my only gun. I want a semi first, then if I can also get a revolver, the I would.
    This is just me thinking out loud to get some opinions while I decide. I gotta go shoot some, but cringe at the cost of rentals and range time.

1911 A2 Springfield!!!!!!:party29:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Revolver are NICE!!!!! don't eat ammo as quickly and they are alot of fun. i'm partail to SW either Mod 10, 64 or 65. you can find police trade ins at reasonable cost. i've found them in the Mid $200's

whats your price range....

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    I'd like to stay under $500, but if I could find one of those used for $200, I'd keep a semi too.
    A guy at work asked if I wanted to sell my XD, so I figured sure, then I can try something else.
    I don't have to sell it, and I don't hate it, but sometimes want something different.

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    Where do you find them at these prices?!

ETA:I just found some on gunbroker, So I'll get back to the semi and pick one of those trade-ins at tax time.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    They search the net for 14 months, find the deal then drive across 14 states and spend more in gas/hotel/food/transfer than the guns even worth.

I got a 100 year old Colt revolver for under $300 in Maryland about 10 minutes from where I work.

The best places I've found for deals on used guns are pawn shops, they sell stuff according to what they paid for it. If they got it cheap you can probably do the same.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I bought my 64-3 for 200 bucks. I got an extremely solid deal on a LEO trade-in.

There was a GP100 for sale in the classifieds for 500, too.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    I got a 100 year old Colt revolver for under $300 in Maryland about 10 minutes from where I work.

The best places I've found for deals on used guns are pawn shops, they sell stuff according to what they paid for it. If they got it cheap you can probably do the same.

Sweet deal. I think you missed the humor I was trying to place. People do weird stuff to save a dime sometimes, especially with guns. Like the guy that drives to Oregon to buy a saiga 12 because they're not selling them as regulated. Yeah..:..that makes sense. See it now?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    They search the net for 14 months, find the deal then drive across 14 states and spend more in gas/hotel/food/transfer than the guns even worth.

I actually love those threads where people celebrate the hours/days/weeks they spend trying to save 30 bucks. ;)

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Sweet deal. I think you missed the humor I was trying to place. People do weird stuff to save a dime sometimes, especially with guns. Like the guy that drives to Oregon to buy a saiga 12 because they're not selling them as regulated. Yeah..:..that makes sense. See it now?

Oh I got the joke and I definitely laughed, but seeing as the OP seems to be a bit inexperienced in driving across the country to get a gun for $20 less I figured I would let him know that sometimes you can get a deal here.:lol2:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Glock, Glock, and Glock.

Go shoot the 19 and 26 if you're interested in them anyway, and go from there. They are both great guns. I have a 19 and it is my favorite firearm. But some people prefer subcompacts, even as a range gun. Some people just like small guns, even though they will not be carrying it. That's cool too. I do love to shoot the G26. Shoot both and see what you like.

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    Well, I think I've decided on the Glock 26. I didn't mind .40, but the cost of 9mm is a big plus. Now, I just have to decide if it's worth it to get a Gen 4 over a Gen 3. It's about $100 difference. If the extra mag that comes with the 4 costs around $25-$30, is it really worth it? I saw a youtube video that showed the grip was smaller on the Gen 4's, which I think I would want. I'd like to see how it compares to my XD, though. Otherwise, I think a Gen 3 would be fine for me.
    Still haven't shot the Glock, I want to wait until I'm closer to buying so maybe I can get out of paying for the rental costs if I buy.
    Should I be considering anything else, like LC9 or M&P, or am I over thinking it?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If you want a great revolver I'd recommend a Single Action Army.

If you want a great hi-cap semi auto double stack I'd recommend a Single Action Army.

If you want a really nice factory suppressed tactical pistol, I'd recommend a Single Action Army.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    If you want a great revolver I'd recommend a Single Action Army.

If you want a great hi-cap semi auto double stack I'd recommend a Single Action Army.

If you want a really nice factory suppressed tactical pistol, I'd recommend a Single Action Army.

SAA> mk23:rolleyes:

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Well, I think I've decided on the Glock 26. I didn't mind .40, but the cost of 9mm is a big plus. Now, I just have to decide if it's worth it to get a Gen 4 over a Gen 3. It's about $100 difference. If the extra mag that comes with the 4 costs around $25-$30, is it really worth it? I saw a youtube video that showed the grip was smaller on the Gen 4's, which I think I would want. I'd like to see how it compares to my XD, though. Otherwise, I think a Gen 3 would be fine for me.
    Still haven't shot the Glock, I want to wait until I'm closer to buying so maybe I can get out of paying for the rental costs if I buy.
    Should I be considering anything else, like LC9 or M&P, or am I over thinking it?

There are numerous excellent choices out there (and just as many "opinions" ;)) You can't go wrong with the G26, but I'd suggest that you shoot the G19 before making a decision. On most days, my favorite handgun is my Gen2 G19. :thumbsup:

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena

The LC9 is not even in the same ball park. It's way smaller and more of a pocket gun. Not going to be as fun to shoot.
    I like the M&P in 9mm, but you just missed a good price on a used one from Lou. He had some used ones at the gun show this weekend. I would assume he sold out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom